What to do with my steam fleet? Musings whilst I finish Hither Green (temporary title)

47606odin

2 hours ago, brossard said:

I don't get it, it looks a lovely loco.  It is not a Herculean task to fit sound to these, I did with mine.

John

I expect he's paid for the sound version which is why its going back

Paul R

9 minutes ago, pwr said:

I expect he's paid for the sound version which is why its going back

Paul R

Yes that must be it, I suspected I might have got things bass ackwards.

I checked Hatton's and only saw the basic model.

John

Edited by brossard

On 29/06/2021 at 15:32, 47606odin said:

A3A660DC-68EB-40FA-96BD-3C658637E84E.jpeg.c6a291985364ed7edba71282a129d863.jpeg

60FEDE20-413D-4C6F-B240-BD1CF5F37488.jpeg.a8a8b53b220b1dcd7b0f85eabc755ea0.jpeg

I’m open to suggestions 

Couple them together and they might be up to hauling a decent length train!

Most of us have one each of a large number of classes of loco - several locos of the same class or of a couple of classes in the same livery would look a lot more realistic on a model of a loco shed than what most of us acheieve.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, brossard said:

Yes that must be it, I suspected I might have got things bass ackwards.

I checked Hatton's and only saw the basic model.

John

The earlier post said the box indicated it was sound fitted so another triumph for Dapol's quality control!!!

I really hope they check those 122's when they get here

Paul R

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, pwr said:

The earlier post said the box indicated it was sound fitted so another triumph for Dapol's quality control!!!

I really hope they check those 122's when they get here

Paul R

That raises a question in my mind, does the box have a quality issue or the loco?  I thought the sound fitting was done by a sub contractor in the UK.

John

46 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Right, to clarify, It was supposed to be a ‘factory’ fitted sound loco, except it hasn’t been

Well that clears it all up.  Hope you get the correct one soon.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Pity they cant just ship out a Chip and speaker to you Ian.

tried that, but they want to swap it, but they won’t send the replacement until they receive the current one, so looking at about a month

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

tried that, but they want to swap it, but they won’t send the replacement until they receive the current one, so looking at about a month

The joys of international shipping! I bought a n HO Victorian 'B' class off Aucision when they first came out. Dead excited when it arrived only to open the box to find it was the wrong one. They sent me B61 which was what I ordered, however when I opened the box it was a bright yellow SSR version and not the Blue WCR one I wanted! We came to an advantageous agreement where I got the one I wanted at cost and kept the other one. Sold it eventually but wish I hadn't now.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I came across a retailer on eBay in Australia selling sound fitted Terriers yesterday. Is it generally cheaper to buy from UK based ones?

Aside from the odd anachronism, such as the SR tank front lubricators, your IEG Terriers are representative of the class in the 1880s-early 1890s.  A good setting for these would be the East London Railway, which saw the Brighton running into Liverpool Street from 1876.  Large parts of this line ran in London brick-lined cuttings interrupted by short tunnels.

As you want a roundy-roundy, why not build a circular layout (viewed from the inside or the outside of the circle as your preferences and circumstances suggest, with a double track circuit and some sidings, backed by a brick retaining wall, representing one side of the cutting, above which are London buildings, house backs etc, and over which are short tunnels to break up the circuit visually.

All you ten need are the Dapol 7mm Stroudley coaches.

cheam1876.jpg.72535b4c0f63cffe2f8be5b333e59fda.jpg

• Like 1

u

6 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I hope they are paying the postage/shipping. As I have remarked before if the retailers checked the stuff before they sent it out a lot of this would not happen.

Back in the day when there were no discount houses you would buy your loco's from the local model shop who would take it out of the box and run it for you before you parted with your cash.

Now that we have these eye watering prices on some bands its often a case if using a box shifter or going without.

(Obviously the situation in Aus is a bit different!)

Second hand prices are often ridiculous too. The retailer mentioned above has been selling second hand GUV's at more than the price for a new once from themselves. They also listed a first edition 47 last night at £500 second hand. no thanks!

Paul R

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...