The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Never knew that some trees have a s*x

woodenhead

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I think Holly is gendered too.

Correct.  We inherited a holly tree when we bought our current house.  The mrs wanted berries but it's a male tree, so we bought a female tree to see if the two could work together and produce the required berries.  The new tree is a rather attractive variegated variety called Golden King.  Go figure...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Correct.  We inherited a holly tree when we bought our current house.  The mrs wanted berries but it's a male tree, so we bought a female tree to see if the two could work together and produce the required berries.  The new tree is a rather attractive variegated variety called Golden King.  Go figure...

Yes and the most common one sold with Golden King is Ilex Aquafolium Silver Queen, which is, of course, male.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pumpkins produce male and female plants. Normally the bees and insects do the job of transplanting the pollen from one to the other, but you do need to give a helping hand sometimes, I use a cotton bud to transfer the 'male' pollen to the female flower. I'll be starting this process pretty soon, to the chorus of crude jokes from Mrs Dreyfus about act of removing the male pollen...

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Pumpkins produce male and female plants. Normally the bees and insects do the job of transplanting the pollen from one to the other, but you do need to give a helping hand sometimes, I use a cotton bud to transfer the 'male' pollen to the female flower. I'll be starting this process pretty soon, to the chorus of crude jokes from Mrs Dreyfus about act of removing the male pollen...

Much more civilised though than doing it for pigs or cattle.

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

You've not watched the Lord of the Rings then .

Ents and Ent wives .     ;)

In the books, the entwifes had bu@@ered off for some unfathomable reasons.