The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Britannia names, a further batch.

tomparryharry

2 hours ago, pH said:

Jason, is that list available online? I’ve had a look but can’t find anything.

I've only seen it in magazines. The article I remember was in either Railway World or Railway Magazine in the early 1980s where it had all the names of the unbuilt locos. Not just BR, but the unbuilt GWR Manors and Granges. As well as the names for the unnamed Patriots.

The BR one was an official typewritten list and I think signed by some of the head people of the time.

I wonder whether it's in the RCTS BR Locomotives books. I haven't got those.

The Clan ones are easy to find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BR_'Clan'_Class_locomotives

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

To be pedantic, the Brit was named Owen Glendower (at least until c1966) and No.7 was named Owain Glyndŵr.

Owain Glyndwr is the correct Welsh spelling, but Owen Glendower the Britannia was correctly named as part of a series of Brits named for Shakespearean History Play characters including Hotspur and John of Gaunt.  It was unofficially renamed Owain Glyndwr in paint in 1966 having lost it's original nameplates, possibly by the Master Neverers Association.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

No. 70666?

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Johnster,

To be fair 666 is the number of the Beast, which is neither Lucifer or the Devil either.

Gibbo.

Could try using Morning Star for the family reference!

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've only seen it in magazines. The article I remember was in either Railway World or Railway Magazine in the early 1980s where it had all the names of the unbuilt locos. Not just BR, but the unbuilt GWR Manors and Granges. As well as the names for the unnamed Patriots.

The BR one was an official typewritten list and I think signed by some of the head people of the time.

I wonder whether it's in the RCTS BR Locomotives books. I haven't got those.

The Clan ones are easy to find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BR_'Clan'_Class_locomotives

Jason

I'm sure there was a list sometime soon after Steam Railway magazine started - it's the sort of thing they did.

However searching for Google on anything involving 'steam railway', kind of gives you a lot of general steam railway stuff.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Building a new fleet of steam locos after 1964 simply wasn't going to happen!

As such, had a Britannia been built and named 'Winston Churchill before 1965, then whose to say that it, rather than the 34051 wouldn't have ben used?

Its not as though 34051 had a specific wartime connection (other than its name) having been built post 1945

Ah, but it's only idle musing. I 'sort of' stopped the timeline at 1965, as a purely arbitrary thing.   

• Like 1