The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Britannia names, a further batch.

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, a bit of idle musing here.  In a purely hypothetical situation, British Railways  built more 70xxx  locomotives... So, which or what names, perchance? Social references have changed in the past 60+ years,  However, please, let's keep it civil ( I hope) so perhaps 'Chuffy McChuffyface' is not an ideal choice. I've stopped the timeline at 1965-ish.

I've got a few, to start it off.

Florence Nightingale

Anuerin Bevan

National Trust

Frank Whittle

Barnes Wallis

Campbell

Jane Austen

Enid Blyton

Sir Henry Wood

Sir Edmund Hilary

Tenzing

Sir Roger Bannister

Sir Francis Chichester

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Alexander Fleming

Agatha Christie

Sylvia Peters

Stanley Matthews (1965 too early for Bobby Moore)

Winston Churchill

Douglas Bader

Stirling Moss

Edited by AY Mod
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Folks, a bit of idle musing here.  In a purely hypothetical situation, British Railways  built more 70xxx  locomotives... So, which or what names, perchance? Social references have changed in the past 60+ years,  However, please, let's keep it civil ( I hope) so perhaps 'Chuffy McChuffyface' is not an ideal choice. I've stopped the timeline at 1965-ish.

I've got a few, to start it off.

Sir Francis Chichester

He is the only one that I would choose.

• Like 2

Easy. There was a list of names published. :prankster:

The next ones were mostly Scottish rivers carrying on from the Firths. Don't forget they were named depending on region and the WR were all named after early locos. The next batch was something like twenty for Scotland.

Personally I would have liked more of the "ignored" CMEs and Locomotive Superintendents to have been honoured. Obviously with full names and titles if they had them.

Fowler

Aspinall

Hughes

Webb

Ivatt

Stroudley

Adams

Billington

etc.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Alan Turing

Unlikely for two reasons, firstly the work which was undertaken at Bletchley Park was still classified and subject to the official secrets and secondly, homosexuality was a crime and Alan was convicted of this and forced to undergo degrading treatments to 'cure' him.

By the time more enlightened attitudes and Alan's true worth been appreciated British Railways had long ditched steam traction....

British heroes like Florence Nightingale would however have been perfectly acceptable in the 50s and 60s

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Only if 34051 (ex 21C151) was renamed first!

A surprising number of names got duplicated and were not altered by BR. 'Spitfire' was carried by both a GWR castle class and a SR BOB for example...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The next ones were mostly Scottish rivers carrying on from the Firths. Don't forget they were named depending on region and the WR were all named after early locos. The next batch was something like twenty for Scotland.

Personally I would have liked more of the "ignored" CMEs and Locomotive Superintendents to have been honoured. Obviously with full names and titles if they had them.

Fowler

Aspinall

Hughes

Webb

Ivatt

Stroudley

Adams

Billington

etc.

Jason

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about Harold Holcroft.

• RMweb Premium

A surprising number of names got duplicated and were not altered by BR. 'Spitfire' was carried by both a GWR castle class and a SR BOB for example...

Prince of Wales must hold the record: BR had four steam locos of that name, although no more than three at any one time (Star 4041 was withdrawn before Vale of Rheidol No 9 was named)

• Like 1

Jason, is that list available online? I’ve had a look but can’t find anything.

• RMweb Premium

With the actual loco having been used on the funeral train on 30th January 1965, and subsequently being preserved, that would never have been a likely option.

Building a new fleet of steam locos after 1964 simply wasn't going to happen!

As such, had a Britannia been built and named 'Winston Churchill before 1965, then whose to say that it, rather than the 34051 wouldn't have ben used?

Its not as though 34051 had a specific wartime connection (other than its name) having been built post 1945