UK 3d printing marketplaces...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Good luck with that, If you actually compare like for like, Shapeways are very competitive. 

Hopefully though the price will not go up by over £10 between what it shows on the original page and then checkout which it does on Shapeways

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2022 at 09:33, Quarryscapes said:

Good luck with that, If you actually compare like for like, Shapeways are very competitive. 

You mean if you find other providers who can give inconsistent prints with massive print lines and standards which change weekly, whilst charging huge postage costs? I’m not sure it’s a market I’d want to be competitive in :jester:

• Like 4

On 25/02/2022 at 16:02, Blandford1969 said:

Hopefully though the price will not go up by over £10 between what it shows on the original page and then checkout which it does on Shapeways

God no! I'd never do that. Our aim's flat postage and packaging (£4 as of writing this post). Obviously 1) I'd quite like to live please and 2) I want the creators to get a good chunk of change from each print. Considering Shapeways kickbacks pennies, we're talking pounds.

Randomly jacking prices up during checkout is one of the things I hate the most.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Din said:

Randomly jacking prices up during checkout is one of the things I hate the most.

You're not kidding! I'm in Canada, was buying two bedside lamps from the States, and they added $700 to the 'free shipping', but it wasn't obvious until we received the email receipt. Cancelled the order, and won't use them again.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/06/2022 at 10:36, Ian Morgan said:

@Din Any updates on your progress? Your website home page is still there, but there has been no news since March.

I'm still alive.

Barely.

Development of the further sprockets, guts and gears has been interesting as initially my partner was having to justify spending time on this away from juggling family life and his own general work committments, but by chance he happens to know somebody that also required a similar e-commerce platform for his own business.

Since then he's been busy surprising himself with how well this system scales:

• There's currently a Beta version running a staggering 250,000+ listings without breaking a sweat.
  • He built the security side of it, and it temporarily locked him out, so the security is going to be pretty good.
  • We're now on the "how should this look on the front end" part of the discussion which means we're getting closer.
  • It also means we intend to promote and push this system to anybody of pretty much any scale of business requiring an ecommerce platform which will hopefully be easy and intiuitive to use.
  • His own estimation will be a basic site up and running sometime during August/September. 

So, to whit:

What does it mean by "basic"? Likely it will be various fantasy minature files I hold the rights to for sale and for those who will trust me to handle their files for them directly initially. We will then increasingly roll out all the other gizmos and gadgets we're promising and hoping to see.

This will probably mean me doing the listings for everyone initially and then we can slowly move to just final approval of a listing being done manually to ensure nobody's pilfering stuff/selling copyrighted materials etc.

On 06/07/2022 at 13:19, Sir TophamHatt said:

As a development idea, wonder if the website could allow those who have 3D printers to offer to print.

Website creator takes a small cut for helping match the buyer and seller.

This may be something to be considered and to keep things simple we'd probably just flip the commission prices around and take 25%. But this would put us in eBay territory and I'm not sure on that for the time being.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 months later...

Well its another (couple) of months and another update.

Due to slipping deadlines we had a discussion and a firm January 2023 launch date is now on the cards and locked in. Once again, busy life and other matters kept getting in the way and he's going to use the time over christmas to complete the last parts.

I'm going to Warley and will be part of Lawrie Rose's (A youtuber who I help occassionally as an outpost for him to stay at and cameraman) I'll be in the "entourage" as a group of us are staying at mine before going to enjoy the show on the Saturday. So look for a "Shouty Midlands Man" in a blue hoody with a big "LMM" cog on the back. Should be several of us about in a fairly big group. Come say hello if you like, happy to chat with folks about what I'm trying to offer.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's the broken record *Plays cracked kazoo badly*

So yes, once again, a frustrating delay, this time mostly my fault. My business partner did a heroic effort to get most of the remaining parts done and all that if left is Stripe integration.

Don't want to get too into it, but I am chronically, incurably ill and so have mostly spent my time since my last post and this one a bit unwell, so a couple of things I should've gotten to him around December didn't happen until late January.

In all all, frustrating, as members have expressed to me via private channels. (Don't worry, you weren't the only one) which means to just once again express my sorrow at not going "Hurray we're up and running!" as I was expecting to during the end of January.

Unfortunately there's really not much more I can say as many of the parts needed for the finish line are far above my skillset.

• Friendly/supportive 5