RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Initially, when the facelift model S came out with the yoke steering wheel, Tesla offered a normal round steering wheel as an option, but it wasn't long before they reversed that and made the normal steering wheel a standard fit, with the yoke becoming an option.

Silly idea all round (forgive the pun).

Can't help thinking a yoke wheel seems like a really bad idea on a road car. I get them for racing cars but on a road car it seems to run against the idea of feeding the wheel through your hands - don't really want to be having to cross your arms for a tight turn.

Steering yokes are most likely not suited to cars used on road network like those in European countries, such as the UK.

Too many narrow and twisty roads, tight turns and roundabouts to contend with, compared with North America.

For similar reasons, the dropping of indicator stalks in favour of steering wheel mounted indicator buttons, will not be popular.

I'm surprised a safety approval issue hasn't been raised on this.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Can't help thinking a yoke wheel seems like a really bad idea on a road car. I get them for racing cars but on a road car it seems to run against the idea of feeding the wheel through your hands - don't really want to be having to cross your arms for a tight turn.

That’s the difference between the Tesla yoke and the proper one. The proper one turns less than one revolution so you will never cross your arms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

I like the new Renault Twingo

Well - taste can be different. Especially French designs - they can be awesome - and the next model is awful.... 

I don't see the point why designers make Mickey Mouse looking cars, just to show us that they are electric.

You will find out at the next red light anyway as the electric car (well, most of them) will have more torque and whoosh away...  

Vecchio, driving a plug in hybrid which looks like a normal car...

3 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

I don't see the point why designers make Mickey Mouse looking cars, just to show us that they are electric.

For reference here is a petrol Twingo:

s-l1600(1).jpg.8e917a8488dd86e6383581e825ddf39d.jpg

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

I like the new Renault Twingo. Looking a lot like the original.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/renault/twingo/

Of course its just a "concept", some of the designers little flourishes will be quietly disappeared!  It would have been more interesting to have some projected range figures, but I expect that "city car" = "about 150km".

• RMweb Premium

Even the two Twingo's have some similarities, I still like the original one much more... 

It happens also at other manufacturers. I consider the VW buzz - the follow up to the iconic bus - as a Mickey Mouse car as well. I looks like it came direct from a Cars movie, but part 5 or so... 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Of course its just a "concept", some of the designers little flourishes will be quietly disappeared!  It would have been more interesting to have some projected range figures, but I expect that "city car" = "about 150km".

Agreed, those sorts of flourishes appear on just about any new concept design, whether electric or not.

It's not unreasonable to expect some signs of being electric - why have a radiator grille when there's simply no need for one for example?

9 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It's not unreasonable to expect some signs of being electric - why have a radiator grille when there's simply no need for one for example?

There is still a need. The motor needs a small radiator as does the HVAC.

4 hours ago, 30801 said:

I like the new Renault Twingo. Looking a lot like the original.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/renault/twingo/

Yes I like the design cues from the old model. Do you think the grenade launcher will come as standard or be an optional extra? 😀

Big takeaway is that they’re after best in class efficency. Stellantis is now very much going down this route as well with the Fiat 600 and improvements to the existing range. A good move imho as I’m not a big fan of the “bung a bigger battery in it” school of design that seems to have dominated recently…

cheers

idd

It's certainly showing it's age, there's many EVs far better than the Leaf as an example now. Whilst it touches on computerisation it also ignores safety and comfort which are miles ahead of the cars they've used to illustrate the article. When they get rid of their rose tinted glasses and do a proper comparison it may be worth a read!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

For those who might fancy an electric estate car, of which there are very few available at the moment.......

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vauxhall-astra-electric.

Yes, I've been watching them, but the electric version is not on Motability and the plug in hybrid has an astronomical near £8000 advance payment against £1600/2500 for the 1.2 petrol. I'm afraid any savings I might make using electric will be eaten up and more by the AP! I'm assuming Vauxhall don't really want Motability to have the PHEV! It's interesting to see that the boot capacity (516l) is the same in the PHEV and EV versions, I assume some of the batteries have ended up where the fuel tank used to be!

5 hours ago, Nick C said:

Good that someone's finally realising that not everyone wants SUVs - but £40k! 

It is rather pricy for a Vauxhall and quite a mark up on the lower spec Astra Estate ICE models.

Then again, what does an ICE VW Passat estate or Audi A4 Avant cost these days?

Depending on spec, trim level and power plant....

Passat ranging from £35k to £47k 

A4 Avant ranging from £38k to £48k

That's before you start adding options, or choosing a colour at extra cost.

3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It is rather pricy for a Vauxhall and quite a mark up on the lower spec Astra Estate ICE models.

Then again, what does an ICE VW Passat estate

Passat ranging from £35k to £47k 

However the Astra doesn't compete with the Passat, it's competition in that segment is the Golf, from £27k upwards, Astra £28k upwards. Not to mention the Golf's cousins, the Octavia and Leon which both start at around £25.5k.

Vauxhall don't have a car in the Passat segment any longer.

3 hours ago, 30801 said:

Not an estate but suddenly a Volvo is cheaper than a Vauxhall Astra.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/ex30-electric

As you say, not an estate.

I’ve actually seen the EX30 up close, had a good look around and sat in it.

(Volvo preview event)

It’s a small’ish car, more a hatchback with “crossover” styling.

Although the lower spec versions with the small battery, look very tempting on price (£32k to £34k), once you step up to the standard, longer range battery, it’s in the same price ball park and more, as the Astra estate EV.

As for some EX30 models being far cheaper than the Vauxhall, bear in mind that the Volvo is made in China and benefits from the economies of scale that come from using a shared, dedicated EV platform, battery tech and drivetrain.

Those same underpinnings are also being used on other new Geely models, such as the Zeekr X and new Smart #1 and #3.

The MGs are quite popular on Motability due to their low APs, I've seen very mixed reviews about them, people seem to fall into two categories, either love 'em or hate 'em! Don't know why, there's no common denominator from either camp.

Edited by Hobby