The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

The Sodium ion battery offers a number of advantages in terms of use of materials and safety but from what I can find out it has a lower energy density than Lithium ion so I don’t understand why the Independent article thinks it’s an end to range anxiety. Possibly it will develop but I don’t think it is suddenly the miracle battery. In such a competitive field I suspect many firms will claim breakthroughs but history shows that these things take time. Then of course if a MWh battery were to be made it still needs charging up, quite some time on any charger currently available, but it would be more flexible about when it needed topping up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

At least it would put an end to HGV leapfrog contests! 🤪

They can still lower the pantograph and overtake.

The overhead is providing motive power and recharging the truck’s batteries.

IIRC, if the driver indicates to leave the lane under the wires (e.g. overtaking or turning off the road), the panto lowers automatically.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the Key Model World show at the NEC on Sunday which was well worth a visit. Some good videos up on YouTube about the show if you are thinking about it for next year.

As this was just short of a 200 mile round trip for us in the Born I decided to use the pre-book park and charging facilities at the NEC for a top up whilst in the show. This charging hub run by BP Pulse is I think the largest in the UK with 150 7kW AC chargers for long stay and, 30 very rapid 300kW DC chargers for those in need of a quick zap and go. A very good facility and very convenient just off the M40.

This site along with recent upgrades at quite a number of motorway services around Birmingham certainly makes this an easy no anxiety destination for EV drivers.

Frankley Services upgrade

Hopley Services Upgrade

PXL_20240428_111342663.jpg

PXL_20240428_142043637.jpg

PXL_20240428_142015774.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, idd15 said:

Visited the Key Model World show at the NEC on Sunday which was well worth a visit. Some good videos up on YouTube about the show if you are thinking about it for next year.

As this was just short of a 200 mile round trip for us in the Born I decided to use the pre-book park and charging facilities at the NEC for a top up whilst in the show. This charging hub run by BP Pulse is I think the largest in the UK with 150 7kW AC chargers for long stay and, 30 very rapid 300kW DC chargers for those in need of a quick zap and go. A very good facility and very convenient just off the M40.

This site along with recent upgrades at quite a number of motorway services around Birmingham certainly makes this an easy no anxiety destination for EV drivers.

Frankley Services upgrade

Hopley Services Upgrade

PXL_20240428_111342663.jpg

PXL_20240428_142043637.jpg

PXL_20240428_142015774.jpg

Isn't a jeep a bit anachronistic for a 1940 Dads Army scene?

Edited by Hroth

Apparently the British and American forces were on manoeuvres in the area sometime in 1943 when Captain Mainwaring and his men apprehended a German airman who had recently been shot down! Thought it a luvverly bit of modelling, especially the moving rifles through the van roof. “Don’t tell him your name Pike!” Classsic. 😃

idd

4 hours ago, idd15 said:

Thanks for this, that's really interesting.  I came to the show from near Preston (240 mile round trip) and topped up on the way back at Stafford whilst having a cup of tea. I didn't know that you could park at the NEC and come back to a 'full' battery.

Btw how much was it to book and park there, also how much per kWhr are the 7kW chargers out of interest. I parked at the International train station which was £9:50 on the Sunday for the day. 

Thanks

Jeremy

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Davison said:

Thanks for this, that's really interesting.  I came to the show from near Preston (240 mile round trip) and topped up on the way back at Stafford whilst having a cup of tea. I didn't know that you could park at the NEC and come back to a 'full' battery.

Btw how much was it to book and park there, also how much per kWhr are the 7kW chargers out of interest. I parked at the International train station which was £9:50 on the Sunday for the day. 

Thanks

Jeremy

It was £13.95 for the parking, supposedly this is £5 cheaper than the normal on the day rate. However we saw parking in other car parks advertised at £14.80, but this may be  a special Sunday rate. The chargers are 59p per kWhr but I only took 21 kWhr to get me back 80%. As it was I could have taken just 10 as the journey back was so much more pleasant without all that rain!

Don’t know if you are aware but there is an open to all Tesla Supercharger just up the road at Trentham Gardens at j15. Quite a bit cheaper I suspect than what you had to pay at Stafford. Depending on time of day there’s also a big choice of eateries and shops there as well.

hth

idd

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, idd15 said:

Don’t know if you are aware but there is an open to all Tesla Supercharger just up the road at Trentham Gardens at j15. Quite a bit cheaper I suspect than what you had to pay at Stafford. Depending on time of day there’s also a big choice of eateries and shops there as well.

Hi idd

Thanks for the information, very helpful. 

At Stafford there are not many chargers and all the fast ones were in use. I was going to move onto the next services going North, however on the way out of the services noticed that there are 4 new BP pulse chargers by the petrol station.

It was an interesting walk back through the lorry park to get back to the services though!

The Tesla 'open to all' charging point sounds good, I've never tried on of them. (I've had an Audi Q4 for the last couple of years). 

Thanks again

Jeremy

• Like 1

The Tesla open to all is still a bit limited, probably making sure Tesla owners retain easy access at key locations. For instance Tebay is not opened up.

A bit academic to me anyway as a Zoe user.

Alan 

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether this has cropped up before.

Apparently as some of those green BT cabinets being used for analogue telephone lines are taken out of use they are being repurposed to EV roadside chargers. (they all have a mains supply)

Each cabinet can support two charging points.

Obviously some will be in unsuitable places but there are tens of thousands of them all over the UK, which will be redundant once we are all on digital only services.

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Apparently as some of those green BT cabinets being used for analogue telephone lines are taken out of use they are being repurposed to EV roadside chargers. (they all have a mains supply)

Obviously some will be in unsuitable places but there are tens of thousands of them all over the UK, which will be redundant once we are all on digital only services.

It was on the One Show on BBC1 this evening.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, idd15 said:

Hopley Services Upgrade

It's actually Hopwood Park and it's not physically on the M42 but adjacent to the junction with the A441 Birmingham - Redditch Road. (It's not too far from where I live)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Problem with those green cabinets is that they tend to be away from the curbside so it will encourage trailing leads accross the pavement - if I see any I'll unplug them !

It won't be longe before we hear the "tripped over an EV charging cable & it was not your fault" calls when we answer our phones.

Edited by GrumpyPenguin

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Problem with those green cabinets is that they tend to be away from the curbside so it will encourage trailing leads accross the pavement - if I see any I'll unplug them !

No you won't. They lock in when in use.

4 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Fire axe with wooden handle/rubber gloves it is then !

They'll probably have CCTV zeroed in on the location.  Better take a balaclava and a hoodie too...

Also, leave your mobile phone at home, especially if it's an iPhone!

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 00:59, APOLLO said:

Who needs batteries ?

maxresdefault.jpg

Brit15

Hmm. Maybe we could add some sort of guidance system for the wheels to follow. Even better, maybe couple several of them together, this inventing an entirely new form of freight transport.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, PatB said:

Hmm. Maybe we could add some sort of guidance system for the wheels to follow. Even better, maybe couple several of them together, this inventing an entirely new form of freight transport.

There was  story knocking around in the 70s that they set the problem of mass freight transportation to a University somewhere in the UK and they first decided that they should use containers, followed by putting them on trailers, then coupling several together so they only needed one driver and finally making a special road which only they could use... And re-invented the railway...

• Like 3

Really interesting feasibility study into platooning HGVs is here . It’s a bit long but there’s always the summary.

Remember overtaking “road trains” in the Outback when I was a student in Oz many years ago. Bit scarey to say the least…

Cheers

idd