Gopher

4F pulls into the cattle dock siding with a local goods train.  Dewchurch is blessed with a Station pilot which will couple up to the back of the train and pull it into the head shunt.  The 4F will then head for the shed for servicing (although looks like a visit to the coal stage is not necessary)

20231126_145554.jpg.5a476c321f88a8a07b87098c0040351e.jpg

20231126_145402.jpg.d4d5e2b95684f476b6f84e451b72f255.jpg

• Like 13

Normally I'm not a huge diesel fan, but I've always liked the Hymek. You can tell that whoever designed it was looking to the styling cues of the moment and they always remind me of things like the American Dodge D100 truck of the late 50s / early 60s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, John Besley said:

Did the Deltic take a wrong turn at Peterborough...

😁It did John, keeps asking "Is this Kings Cross"?   There is a bit of a trend, a Blue Pullman got lost a few weeks ago and ended up in Dewchurch.    

Clive

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think in this view Torquay Manor is trying to get the "stranger to leave town", by pushing A4 Guillemot back to the Eastern Region.  The A4 will return home in due course with an inter regional express. 

I think it must have been interesting to spend a day at Oxford Station or even Pontypool Road back in the 1950s, to see the variety of locos and rolling stock from other regions passing through, as well of course a variety of ex Great Western locos.      

20231126_145336.jpg.28402999a19c3b863ddf0dafa5838f07.jpg

• Like 11

15xx Pannier on a local goods train.  

I'm starting to run out of photos.  No idea how many I have posted on this thread since September 2021 when I started building it.   Given the size and location of the layout (it runs around three walls of a room), it is inevitable that I have posted many photos taken from the same perspective.  So apologies for the "sameness" of some views  and any duplications.  My modelling time is currently spent on detailing/weathering any new locos and rolling stock, painting new figures, and the odd bit of fault fixing (mainly re-soldering broken switch blades on points, which is a real pain if the point is at the back of the layout ).

Oh and of course cleaning the layout, track etc from time to time.  I do enjoy operating the layout as much as building it (as long as it all works as it should).   I also enjoy just sitting in my model room chair and just looking at it.  I'd never have dreamt that 30 odd years ago I'd have the skills, resources  (and of course the materials, technology etc), to build a layout like this.  I have seen many better layouts (especially on RM Web), but at the end of the day I'm happy with my own efforts, and I think Dewchurch 3 is better than Dewchurch 1 & 2, and the predecessor loft layout based on Llantwit Major station.  The latter was a bigger layout, but could not be used in the Summer as loft temperature was 30C and above.  In the winter it was much chillier but at least I could wrap up.  The most amazing thing was my home built baseboards never warped in the 15 years the loft layout was in operation, and the Peco Code 100 track stayed true.               

20231126_145302.jpg.d0f76bd29bce39d67e4fdf6b28d0d10a.jpg

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

My modelling time is currently spent on detailing/weathering any new locos and rolling stock, painting new figures

Please keep posting pictures of the layout. I'm sure everyone would be happy to follow your progress on those work bench items as well. I still think about the use you made of face mask material on your tank.

Edited by Fishplate
Missed a bit. . . .
  • Agree 7

Keep on posting....

What about what I did and start introducing scenes within scenes?

Stories within stories?

Look how long I've got away with that crate and the engine shed door!!!!!!

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Keep on posting, it's inspiring to see new pictures and I do think that some "how I did it" posts on your weathering work would be very useful as well as interesting.

I've not had a deal of time to make any great strides with my layout, but I hope that amongst the bits I do post there's inspiration and encouragement for others.

I will certainly be a very happy chap when I have my layout at the stage yours is.

As for crates and engine shed doors at Aston on Clun, substitute dive bombers and motorcycle anecdotes!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Please keep posting pictures of the layout. I'm sure everyone would be happy to follow your progress on those work bench items as well. I still think about the use you made of face mask material on your tank.

Thanks John - I will keep posting, and probably more "work in progress" photos.  I'm looking at the Centurion tank as I type this.  My wife must take the credit for suggesting face mask material for the mantlet cover.  I'd been experimenting with thick tissue soaked in PVA, which still proved too fragile.  I'd never have dreamed of cutting up a face mask. 

Best Wishes

Clive

20231210_083840.jpg

• Like 10

12 hours ago, KNP said:

Keep on posting....

What about what I did and start introducing scenes within scenes?

Stories within stories?

Look how long I've got away with that crate and the engine shed door!!!!!!

Thanks Kevin, I love your approach on LM.  It brings the whole layout to life with real characters, makes me want to move there.  I doubt I can fix the engine shed door, but I might have a sneaky peak in the crate.  

Best Wishes

Clive

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Gopher said:

Given the size and location of the layout (it runs around three walls of a room), it is inevitable that I have posted many photos taken from the same perspective.  So apologies for the "sameness" of some views  and any duplications. 

I'm very much enjoying the photos and the captions.

20 hours ago, Gopher said:

I have seen many better layouts (especially on RM Web), but at the end of the day I'm happy with my own efforts

I'll be happy if my efforts ever get to be in shouting distance of yours!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Keep on posting, it's inspiring to see new pictures and I do think that some "how I did it" posts on your weathering work would be very useful as well as interesting.

I've not had a deal of time to make any great strides with my layout, but I hope that amongst the bits I do post there's inspiration and encouragement for others.

I will certainly be a very happy chap when I have my layout at the stage yours is.

As for crates and engine shed doors at Aston on Clun, substitute dive bombers and motorcycle anecdotes!

Thanks Rob, I always find your modelling on Aston very inspirational.  I've never ridden a motor bike, but have been pillion on a few in my yoof (often without a "lid"), as I was ferried from pub to pub by friends who had motor bikes (all Japanese of course - bikes not friends).  Not sure I'd have got on the back if I had been sober.   One had a Suzuki 200 where the headlight kept cutting out when we raced through the lanes.  Another managed a wheelie with me on the back. Luckily they were short trips along country lanes, and I was young and stupid (and pissed). 

Best Wishes

Clive  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

I'm very much enjoying the photos and the captions.

I'll be happy if my efforts ever get to be in shouting distance of yours!

Rob - thanks for your kind comments.  I'll keep posting.  

Best Wishes

Clive

• Like 5

I took a meander down memory lane.  Here are some photos of Dewchurch 1.  This was a DC layout, Peco code 75 track. my home made baseboards, and my own track plan.  I started building it in 2003.  The baseboard tops (Sundeala), warped, the track plan was not good (especially access to the goods yard, and lack of siding space, and engine shed only accessible via the turntable).    I learnt that the goods yard needed to  be at the front of the layout as I manually uncouple wagons, and any engine shed at the back.  It was a great learning experience, but I scrapped it after a few years.    The Signal Box was from my Llantwit Major layout and made from Linka, as were a couple of other buildings.  I used Townstreet kits for the goods shed, engine shed, and station building.  I could have made a better job of constructing these, but we live and learn.   My later efforts with Townstreet kits were much better.  The engine shed in this photo is currently sitting in a cabinet at the back of the Hereford Model Centre Shop, together with a different Townstreet Station building from Dewchurch 2.  Hopefully they will find a home on someone else's layout.  The Goods shed ended up in the Cheltenham Model Centre, and was subsequently sold. 

I may dig out some old photos of Llantwit Major - my second layout.  I'll have to scan them as they are not digital       

P7310016.JPG.824f93adc5e199057bb5da9eebc4e057.JPG

P7310010.JPG.fc56aa62ba0e93d6fbfe28fe6d6e09b9.JPG

P7310002.JPG.268f8e2a83e5ca8dabb498b46a6df11f.JPG

Picture015.jpg.bddc580fc2100b31bab72aed06da76c7.jpg

• Like 13

Whenever I get to see a layout at an exhibition, I'm always drawn to little corners like that. For me, they're what take a good model to an exceptional model where the whole picture has been carefully considered and created.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On a bit of a roll down memory lane - few more dodgy photos of Dewchurch 1.  Virtually all the half relief buildings in photo 2, are present on Dewchurch 3, as are most of the vehicles, figures and some Ratio kit sheds etc..  The trees (or most of them) are also on Dewchurch 3.  I bought them as etched brass kits for Llantwit Major.  The grass areas are dyed medical lint - which was passable, and better than dyed sawdust.  Static grass now rules on Dewchurch 3.  I've still got most of the rolling stock, but not all the locos.  The 9F is alive and well on Dewchurch 3, but not the Black 5, or Class 42 Warship diesel just visible in one photo.  I tend to refresh the loco rota now and then.  Original motivation was to ditch any split chassis locos when I moved to DCC, then any which were a bitch to hard wire and fit decoders, and latterly sound decoders and speakers.  When I look at some of the photos I can see undulations in the track - life on the ocean wave sort of thing.  Warped baseboard tops being the reason.  I should have sealed the Sundeala before subjecting it to diluted PVA glue when ballasting.   

This afternoon's task is to add buffer detail, change headcodes, add a driver to my latest acquisition (Accurascale Class 37 Green split head code loco).  I had a fair bit of credit with one of the box shifters, and this loco suddenly appeared as in stock last week (Sold out everywhere else) .  It is an Eastern Region loco which I think will travel to/through the Welsh Marches on an inter regional parcels train (hence required change in headcode).  I had the Accurascale single head code 37 on pre-order, so have cancelled that.   It will join my Bachmann Single head code class 37 (which was based in the Western Region on freight duties).

Which 37 is best ?  Tough call - the Accurascale model weighs a ton, has a good sound project and speakers (but had to reduce the volume to stop the sound cutting out on start up).  It runs beautifully, and has great detail.  It made me realise that I need to upgrade one of the speakers in the Bachmann model - to get more bass.  I have a Legoman Biffo  sound decoder fitted in the Bachmann model.  The sound (due to the speakers) is a bit insipid to my ears compared to the Accurascale 37.  I'll also weather it in due course - once I have run it in a bit more.    Both models run well, and look great (but I'm not an expert on how well they match the real thing).         

P9070006.JPG.dbba6d0b20eca4ac0b9b6f36eb6f6881.JPG

Picture002.jpg.ef51190e05b819249827198a2e2de1d7.jpg

P9070003.JPG.c8f496ba8a59f6aa9862da3e79bd597e.JPG

P9070011.JPG.6f0e5550d4b817adc94c9724fbab68b6.JPG

Picture007.jpg.dcac23165960bd30d48bb4328b8e34fa.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1