RMweb

Supermarkets - empty shelves therein

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Usually spouted by those who actually don't have a proper understanding of the skills they are supposed to display.

Often cannot get their heads around the difference between 'My way' and the 'Correct way'...

I usually found 'those that can do', actually cannot, in reality, so need refreshing..ie re-teaching!

It's often referred to a skills fade.....An initial lack of proper understanding leads eventually to so-called 'bad habits'.....

Also, teaching is a whole new world in itself.....right across the board, as I found out 20 years ago. I too, had the above idea.....what a shock I got!

There is always a huge disconnect between what [work] practitioners think people should know.....and what those people actually should know.

Many thanks for the above.An antidote to the soundbite cynicism posted above.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, johnd said:

Electrickery  is no problem, easy to charge and a lot less stressfull to drive, making driving a pleasure again !

Given the amount of traffic on the roads nowadays, the state of those roads, and the standard of driving on them, I remain doubtful that the purchase of an electric car will make driving a pleasure again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Sky News....

Qw7XdafUQ9OcxnbwfbMw_darren.jpg

enZ7SeYSicxC5zb1yFHg_IMG_1055.jpg

Daily Fail...

48333055-0-image-a-74_1632479146529.jpg

48333053-10023181-image-a-77_16324791859

Our Neighbour reports road out of our village gridlocked by the queue for the shell petrol station and similar chaos in surrounding towns here in the Chilterns (has to be 2nd hand as I’m on the covid naughty step for another 6days).

im quite happy that I’ve got an EV sat on the drive should this panic buying extend through next week. We can leave the wife’s diesel in the garage until normality returns.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Sky News....

Qw7XdafUQ9OcxnbwfbMw_darren.jpg

enZ7SeYSicxC5zb1yFHg_IMG_1055.jpg

Daily Fail...

48333055-0-image-a-74_1632479146529.jpg

48333053-10023181-image-a-77_16324791859

Hmm, that might explain the queuing traffic tailing back in to the main road and making the traffic worse than normal this morning, all from Sainsburys.

On 23/09/2021 at 12:34, alastairq said:

I cannot believe folk are still buying{?} newspapers....

Is that from the aspect of the resources that are used to produce, print and distribute them, when digital distribution can be achieved with a much smaller carbon footprint?  (a good point).

Or their content? (an excellent point).

Edited by rocor
It should be Is.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, rocor said:

It that from the aspect of the resources that are used to produce, print and distribute them, when digital distribution can be achieved with a much smaller carbon footprint?  (a good point).

Or their content? (an excellent point).

Useful stuff, newspaper. Protecting things when decorating, papier mache for the kids (or the scenic parts of the layout), putting under the cat litter tray, lighting fires. Waste of time printing stuff on it though.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

"Don't panic"

Remember Idiots are for life not just April 1st..

They need the additional fuel to be able to drive around their toilet roll mountain from the first lockdown...

• Agree 4
  • Funny 9

20 hours ago, Legend said:

The latest one is apparently some BP garages are running out of fuel as no HGVs to replenish

On the plus side I watched news last night and as theres a shortage of HGV drivers more containers are going by train . The picture was of containers being loaded at Liverpool docks , which were on a short route to Birmingham . Chance for a modal shift to Railfreight here.  Its certainly apparent if you ever drive up or down the M6/M74 the constant flows of Gist, DHL lorries, almost in convoy,  that could presumably go up the WCML

The major problem with sending containers via rail is the awkward fact it's horribly unreliable.  It should be an absolute no-brainer to send stuff by rail but once you've explained to your customers the reason they didn't get their delivery was because the container is stuck on a train that isn't where it should be for the 28th time that morning using road does become a whole lot more attractive. 

You also (obviously) need to use a truck to get it from the rail terminal to the delivery address. Certain rail terminals suffer from huge waiting times and queues which scupper on-time deliveries.

From a personal point of view I'd love to send all my containers via rail. From a professional point of view it would be financial suicide!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The usual media scaremongering creating a problem that most of us probably didn't even notice.

Oh it's also just about time for the annual Arctic winter scaremongering from the Express ,Daily Mail and all the other trash red tops.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As for 25 year olds, isn't there a restriction that you have to be 25 to drive some classes of heavy vehicle - buses perhaps?  I'm sure I've yet to hear of a "boy racer" in a Routemaster.  

One of the major problems with employing younger HGV drivers is insurance. They're virtually un-insurable!  The policy I had when I had an operators license specifically excluded drivers under 28.

I could have specified 25 year olds and up but it would have more than doubled the cost. Not viable sadly! 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it’s toilet roll time again! A trip out to Tesco Port Glasgow sees queuing down the road to get into the petrol station , stopping people getting out of supermarket .  And you look at headlines on papers . I think it’s the Sun has a picture of a petrol pump saying something like “running dry”  .Irresponsible journalism  in the extreme

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, admiles said:

The major problem with sending containers via rail is the awkward fact it's horribly unreliable.  It should be an absolute no-brainer to send stuff by rail but once you've explained to your customers the reason they didn't get their delivery was because the container is stuck on a train that isn't where it should be for the 28th time that morning using road does become a whole lot more attractive. 

You also (obviously) need to use a truck to get it from the rail terminal to the delivery address. Certain rail terminals suffer from huge waiting times and queues which scupper on-time deliveries.

From a personal point of view I'd love to send all my containers via rail. From a professional point of view it would be financial suicide!

I guess it depends on whether your financial model is predicated on there being more drivers than work thus keeping pay rates low.  If it is and it turns out, as it might, that those days are gone for good then your financial mortality may be limited anyway.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2021 at 22:30, alastairq said:

A possible problem is that the [eastern?] European countries which yielded much of our lower paid labour market, have now got a  standard of living close to, or even better, than that of the UK...So there is no longer an incentive for folks to come here, to work.

Its been that way for nearly a decade now. Not just eastern europe, but several parts of Asia too (not just China) have been very busy building motorways, office blocks, shopping malls, new factories etc.

2 years back I was looking at setting up a software business, and after investigating the costs, it was cheaper to hire developers in Manchester and Leeds than it was in Lodz or Krakow. The infrastructure, including hosting, network etc was more modern and faster in Poland for the same price. Additionally the cost of living was lower, but standard of living was much higher… I was considering to relocate myself there and commute here as needed, until I started getting those quotes…

Weve fallen a long way behind since 2009, which technically means the upside should be tremendous catch up growth, if/when it ever comes… We just need to persuade the world we are stable and have potential worth investing in, or new innovative products to sell to the world… the last 5 years of self flagellation has been anything but that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I can't help wondering, if the MSM ran stories about possible electricity cuts and people panicking to store as much electricity as they could in buckets, whether we'd see queues of people stripping the DIY and hardware stores of every story of bucket they could get their hands on?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

17 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I can't help wondering, if the MSM ran stories about possible electricity cuts and people panicking to store as much electricity as they could in buckets, whether we'd see queues of people stripping the DIY and hardware stores of every story of bucket they could get their hands on?

Good thought, good time to buy candles as were bound to have a price hike & shortage of wax come winter. I can sneak in before the panic and clear the shelves :D 

i assume  my iPhone can recharge by candle light in a dark winters blackout?

• Like 1

You can buy a tiny portable wood stove for camping that charges a phone via a thermo-couple, so yes, you can charge your phone from a candle. Or your garden hedge clippings.

Very, very, very slowly.

A better bet is a pedal-dynamo, ‘cos working that keeps you warm too.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Good thought, good time to buy candles as were bound to have a price hike & shortage of wax come winter. I can sneak in before the panic and clear the shelves

Might have to find some paraffin and light my GWR signal lamps. Had to do that a few years ago, but set off the smoke alarms. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You can buy a tiny portable wood stove for camping that charges a phone via a thermo-couple, so yes, you can charge your phone from a candle. Or your garden hedge clippings.

Very, very, very slowly.

A better bet is a pedal-dynamo, ‘cos working that keeps you warm too.

As a keen cyclist you probably know, but for others who might not keep up to date.

Modern, what are called "expedition bikes" have a hub dynamo for lighting and include a USB outlet for charging phones and bike computers.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

My “going a fair distance slowly” bike has a hub dynamo, but it’s in the front hub, so pretty poor stuff as a stationary power source!

You'll be wanting one of these...

51-DjCAG0lL._AC_SY450_.jpg.88c482c044f76066a5871d48be2ea2f2.jpg

If anyone puts the HGV driver shortage down to Brexit they're deluded at best. Grant Schapps was absolutely correct to emphasise the solution is at home as Kay Burley rabidly assaulted him today on Sky News, in search of a Brexit story.

I'm pretty much the centre of the whole argument, passed my Class 1 in1997 relatively young at 26 yet I left the industry with vast experienced in 2003 aged only 33. in 1997 I had driven every truck and pulled everything, from containers to wide loads, plant etc. Yet i left the industry at my prime. I have driven on occasions since but not since 2006. Im now only 51 and would consider returning, if the conditions suited.

In 2003 many of us asked the question when or if ever the conditions would improve, we were despised by car drivers, treated like sub humans at large supermarket RDCs, told to wait for hours in filthy rooms as we were not trusted in our cabs and for all our 15 hours graft forced to sleep in a piss stinking lay-by with traffic surging past all night as we had nowhere else to park.

When we asked the question we were told never.

Within just a few years drivers and warehouse staff had been recruited en-masse from Europe. On many occasions I sat alone waiting for loads surrounded by EU staff not even able to communicate. The supply chains and supermarkets especially sacked John and jumped at the chance of a forever supply of cheap labour, now the fairytale is over.

Would I return? How much would you want (and your wife and family) to leave home at 3am Monday and if you're lucky get home before 9pm Friday, sleep in lay-bys and be treated like dirt?

Now everyone's demand, including modellers, is for fast 24 hour click me service, i think we need to radically rethink our distribution networks and those who work in them as its an industry in demand like never before.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

If that has a powered front roller, or indeed any powered rollers, it will need an electricity supply, which would rather defeat the purpose of trying to charge a phone without one.

The obvious answer is to turn the bike upside down and whirl the front wheel round by hand.

• Like 1