Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

18100 / E1000 / E2001 from Rails/Heljan

Ian J.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Weren't they originally intended for Chunnel trains to the Continent?

CJI.

and from and beyond Northwards .........................................

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

I do wonder if the 3 windscreened design of the AL series locos was developed from the prototype “Class 80”.

The original intent (at least according to a wooden cab mock-up, built before the locos themselves) was to have the route indicator in the middle window, class 302-style, and a flush nose below.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 25kV said:

The original intent (at least according to a wooden cab mock-up, built before the locos themselves) was to have the route indicator in the middle window, class 302-style, and a flush nose below.

I used to have a magazine supplement on the early electrics and it had a photo of the mockup. It looked strange without the headcode box and I did try and find it before online but work got in the way.

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

and from and beyond Northwards .........................................

Obviously - but, nonetheless, not a general purpose design.

Rather, a specific design, for a specific purpose, requiring exceptional design criteria.

CJI.

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I used to have a magazine supplement on the early electrics and it had a photo of the mockup. It looked strange without the headcode box and I did try and find it before online but work got in the way.

There was a side view in MRP Profile 7, but also this in Marsden's "The AC Electrics" , the caption for which suggests that a SR-style 2-digit headcode system was proposed for a period. 

The mock-up is from 1957, and its Southern counterpart appears to be lurking in the background. 😉

IMG_0186copy.JPG.d1ec347ffa1d91d908b3826332bce1a2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Drove to the Rails Weekend Event today to look at a Dapol Mogul which was duly purchased. And then….in a small display cabinet cunningly situated on the counter were these……..I honestly wasn’t going to but I did.The beast in its original form seen by me as a state of the art exhibit at the railways part of The Festival Of Britain ,Waterloo East,August 1951. I’m now fully into my dotage… Whatever the motive,it is a cracking model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2024 at 14:45, 25kV said:

There was a side view in MRP Profile 7, but also this in Marsden's "The AC Electrics" , the caption for which suggests that a SR-style 2-digit headcode system was proposed for a period. 

The mock-up is from 1957, and its Southern counterpart appears to be lurking in the background. 😉

Yes! That's it! Looks quite strange without the headcode panel doesn't it! The slightly lower middle windscreen, too!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2024 at 14:45, 25kV said:

Originally planned for oval buffers too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 25kV said:

Which only the AL4s managed to get right! 

Some would say it was the only thing right about the AL4s.

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2024 at 10:27, cctransuk said:

My understanding is that it was a driver-training loco, pending the introduction of production AC locos.

CJI.

That was my understanding, too. And as a stop-gap to test the Manchester-Crewe electrification. My research when I wrote up the gas turbines for Trains Illustrated (and it was 40 years ago, so memory may be suspect, but it appeared to do very little work either as a gas turbine or as an electric after its turns on Bristol/Weston-super-Mare expresses ended. But that may just be because the research material that I was consulting came from Swindon and Swindon had by then lost interest. (CJL)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, VIA185 said:

That was my understanding, too. And as a stop-gap to test the Manchester-Crewe electrification. My research when I wrote up the gas turbines for Trains Illustrated (and it was 40 years ago, so memory may be suspect, but it appeared to do very little work either as a gas turbine or as an electric after its turns on Bristol/Weston-super-Mare expresses ended. But that may just be because the research material that I was consulting came from Swindon and Swindon had by then lost interest. (CJL)

Its reincarnation as an original 25KvAC test bed was on the Styal loop line c1957/58 where it was used to test newly erected OHL equipment. Its first public outing as a gas turbine was as a static exhibit on the 1951 Festival Of Britain railways stand at Waterloo East,alongside a 1500DC Wath electric and ex-works Britannia 70004.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2024 at 10:12, No Decorum said:

Marsden and Fenn contains three photographs of 18100. One shows it under construction without steps. The second, undated but described as being of a test train, is not very clear but seems to show a step. The third, dated 5th. April, 1952, shows the steps clearly. The loco was delivered to Western Region in December, 1951. I conclude from these three photographs that steps were fitted to 18100 either from new or very soon afterwards.

I found this on the web which clearly has foot steps on the bogies - Author unknown

18100.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1