18100 / E1000 / E2001 from Rails/Heljan

Ian J.

On 22/01/2024 at 13:43, cctransuk said:

I still can't see the point of refining sound that no-one can say is authentic.

I suppose that ignorance is bliss!

CJI.

The sounds may not be authentic, but two different gas turbines with different drive setups should sound different. At the very least the pitch of the turbine should be different as stated in the design specs of the original locos.

Neil.

5 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

The sounds may not be authentic, but two different gas turbines with different drive setups should sound different. At the very least the pitch of the turbine should be different as stated in the design specs of the original locos.

Neil.

Different - OK .... but authentic - who knows?

To me, just noise for noise' sake!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

20 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi,

Looking forward to E2001, did the loco work passenger services as a Gas Turbine or after it was converted to Electric? Thanks Fred

Only test trains or driver training as an electric loco; no revenue trains.

CJI.

On 12/02/2024 at 08:28, Fredo said:

Hi,

Looking forward to E2001, did the loco work passenger services as a Gas Turbine or after it was converted to Electric? Thanks Fred

as far as i know it was converted to electric for the west coast electrification to give drivers experience on electric traction probably when used it hauled empty coaches    

• Agree 1

On 14/02/2024 at 10:15, Michael Hodgson said:

Do we yet know what its minimum radius is?

Looks like R1 (385) quoted in the instructions! 

Not tried though.

Though looking further elsewhere in the instructions it states "The model will run reliably over curved track down to Radius 2 (438mm)."

Edited by Opelsi
Omission

Been messing about with my lovely new E2001.

On DC the lights all work. Obviously dip switches are showing as on.

Tried both original Bachmann 36-577 and TCS 1344 decoders. Front head and tail lights working fine.

Cannot fathom how to get the cab lights or engine room lights to work though. Tried all the obvious things including decoder resets, remapping etc all to no avail. Cab lights should be on F5 and engine room lights on F6. Need to spend more time to get to the bottom of this.

Anyone else experiencing similar? 

6 minutes ago, Hastings Thumper said:

Wow 🙂

420532698_673299001676305_8130312509514870474_n.jpg

428068459_383376080990259_8147482992151558050_n.jpg

428077168_411568384719642_6405266304767723723_n.jpg

428326715_767740948216989_7908052807665058655_n.jpg

Now - I am usually opposed to 'what if' liveries.

However, imagine this in Electric Blue, with off-white window surrounds and cast BR emblems! (Perhaps route indicator panels, too)?

If only E2001 had lasted rather longer!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Thanks to this thread I discovered these existed at all, and now, apparently, one is due to arrive here presently - I don't know how that happened...  (With a pantograph, naturally.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2024 at 08:28, Fredo said:

Hi,

As a gas turbine,yes it did work passenger services on the WR,notably between Paddington & Bristol on services such   as The Merchant Venturer. Due to a variety of difficulties it was withdrawn from BR service as a gas turbine late in 1953 after barely two years work..An authentic train would consist of crimson & cream Colletts & Hawksworths but not Mk 1’s. Though Toplights were also widely used too. So good if you’ve any kit built ones at hand. It re-emerged as. 25Kv AC electric firstly on the newly electrified Styal loop in Cheshire,the UK pioneer of its kind.  

• Like 1

20240221131827P2040048copy.JPG.39b4d34f1da0f583ddaa4926aeec8ecc.JPG

It's here!  😁  A nice touch is the scar of the "18100" number at the pantograph end (I have a feeling it was patch-repainted in reality but I like this better).   In this photo, it survived as an overhead line test loco for a few more years, in a slightly alternative timeline. 

I've run it back and forth a short distance (on DC) and can hear what sounds like a spark discharging inside after a brief time shortly after moving off.  Normal?  Weird?  🤔 

• Like 4

On 21/02/2024 at 13:36, 25kV said:

20240221131827P2040048copy.JPG.39b4d34f1da0f583ddaa4926aeec8ecc.JPG

It's here!  😁  A nice touch is the scar of the "18100" number at the pantograph end (I have a feeling it was patch-repainted in reality but I like this better).   In this photo, it survived as an overhead line test loco for a few more years, in a slightly alternative timeline. 

I've run it back and forth a short distance (on DC) and can hear what sounds like a spark discharging inside after a brief time shortly after moving off.  Normal?  Weird?  🤔 

Hello 25kV. Sorry can't help with your sparking issue and apologies for thread drift but sneaking in on the left of the photo is a really interesting warship. RTC red / blue, panto and what looks like an APT bogie? Ooo. Any chance of seeing the beast in full and what's the story?

Jonesy

Edited by Merseycider
Daftness
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Merseycider said:

Hello 25kV. Sorry can't help with your sparking issue and apologies for thread drift but sneaking in on the left of the photo is a really interesting warship. RTC red / blue, panto and what looks like an APT bogie? Ooo. Any chance of seeing the beast in full and what's the story?

Jonesy

You can follow the story from this post onwards - albeit in fits and starts between other APT bits and pieces 🙂 

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 22:48, Opelsi said:

Been messing about with my lovely new E2001.

On DC the lights all work. Obviously dip switches are showing as on.

Tried both original Bachmann 36-577 and TCS 1344 decoders. Front head and tail lights working fine.

Cannot fathom how to get the cab lights or engine room lights to work though. Tried all the obvious things including decoder resets, remapping etc all to no avail. Cab lights should be on F5 and engine room lights on F6. Need to spend more time to get to the bottom of this.

Anyone else experiencing similar? 

I don't have one of these models, but for the decoders, I would suggest that the Bachmann 36-577 would not have enough functions to operate all of the lighting functions on your model - the later version has four full-power and two logic outputs, but the earlier version with the same catalogue number may be different. The TCS EU621 has 6 function outputs, but even then they have to be the correct logic or full power outputs depending on the model's requirements.

From the model's description, you need 2 x outputs for head/marker lights, 2 x outputs for tail lights (assuming they are wired separately), 2 x outputs for cab lights (again assuming each end is separately wired) and another output for the engine room lights. That's a total of seven function outputs.

• Thanks 1

Finally got it on the rolling road - Well done Rails & Heljan - another superb job with an obscure prototype. Imagine if these had made it to fleet service ................. 

• Like 2

My sound fitted 18100 arrived today and after understanding the sound file and adding the details, chrome numbers and vac and steam heat pipes at one end, I can only say it my model of the year.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I just received my E2001 from Rails, what a nice engine!

So here's the question.  What was the original wheel diameter?  The model material states 4' 1/2”, whereas other sources state 3'8".  As I'm going to convert it to P4 I'd like to know what it should be.

Thanks!

John

Edited by proton
Correction to w/d