Oops….London Overground incident

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mike_Walker said:

710124 on 2U14, the 07:45 from Liverpool Street.  Two sustained minor injuries treated at the scene.

Train unlikely to have been very full. The worst part about such events is that most of us on board are already standing waiting for the train to stop when the impact occurs. Very unpleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Something very odd seems to have happened to the buffer-stop, which looks as if it has tilted up - I wonder what protections come before the stop? Some sort of physical speed arrestors; signalling protections designed to cause speed to be controlled down?

The behaviour of the stop may not be as-intended, but whether it is or isn’t, it will have diverted some energy from impelling forward motion into impelling upward motion (lifting part of the mass of the car), which may actually have been a good thing.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I was in the last coach of a full one that hit the stops at Kings Cross Suburban once, nobody hurt and it stayed on the rails but the poor driver was still sitting in his cab looking very red in the face by the time I had walked the length of the platform and the whole train had already walked through the barriers.  Not a lot of margin for error in stopping in those platforms.  I suspect the other vehicles had absorbed quite a bit of the jolt before it had reached the coach I was in.

I tend to worry about risk to people on the concourse when those sort of accidents happen, especially places at the foot of a gradient.  Those waiting for their their train at Kings Cross mainline are no longer queueing on the concourse though. 

7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... but could have been a wee bit nasty if it had got too close to the overhead knitting ! ( Assuming it is live beyond the intended reach of any pantograph.)

There's an insulator above the highest part of the leading coach, I think the risk is more if it had managed to snap the wires.  There was an accident not too long back at St Pancras when an International set caught fire and the live wire was flailing about on the platform.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... but could have been a wee bit nasty if it had got too close to the overhead knitting ! ( Assuming it is live beyond the intended reach of any pantograph.)

It would have popped the breakers anyway……although that would have caused an altogether different headache.

The breakers would indeed come out if the OHLE is earthed. 

They would be reset at  the control room, but on third trip would be left out pending investigation. Chances are in such an incident a call would have been received providing an explanation  fairly soon after he event. 

Generally buffer stops have TPWS protection but I don't know if the overground is so fitted. 

I suppose we will have to wait to see what the inevitable investigation  will reveal. 

Andy

• AY Mod locked this topic