RMweb

A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

Andy,

Thank you so much for the pictures. These look to be exquisite models of the most handsome of all coaching stock.

The underframe trussing appears to be of a filigree-fineness that I think I've only ever seen represented before in metal; it's so straight, it looks to be actually under tension, quietly doing its job. And the flush glazing, surely a signature of Hawksworth stock, seems to be amazingly, well, flush. The suspended gangways look tasty, too, and the fabricated bogies... I'll stop now.

So, well done, Hornby; and well done, Andy - thanks again.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

I like these :)

Can anyone expand on the way they were used in rakes on the BR(W) region, particularly the rakes that got into Weymouth?

Guest Max Stafford

Not much call for them in these northern climes, but they're so nice that I'm sure a BG will make its way to these parts - NPCCS got everywhere after all! :)

The models display some real finesse of finish such as the roof rivets and the quality of the paintwork.

Dave.

Like you, Dave, I can only justify a BG, which will add a nice variation to my mixed parcels rake.

Very nice pics, Andy. The crimson and cream sits well on them while the maroon looks a little dull ... just like the real things (no criticism of Hornby's excellent finish).

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - having already ordered one of each do I now order some more of the more common ones in case everybody else will be leaping into the queue?

Absolutely Mike.I reckon they will sell like hot cakes.I do like the curtains.I can see me buying a BR Castle to pull them. B)

• RMweb Gold

There's going to be a scramble for the BG then, the 'go anywhere without special justification' vehicle.

Liked the 'see em big' feature; the end view was equivalent to 5" gauge and it still looked good...

If Mr Kohler has his marketing and profit caps firmly on his head I reckon he should be producing twice as many BGs as any other vehicle. This really is one where the normal (as I understand things) idea of producing the same number of each vehicle type should be consigned back to the trainset era, where it belongs.

Can anyone expand on the way they were used in rakes on the BR(W) region, particularly the rakes that got into Weymouth?

Not knowing much of WR practice I would be interested in that too for possible inclusion on Tawbridge. But when I look at books of hydraulics in the west country I see mostly Mk1s on the principal trains, or older coaches (Colletts?). Where did all the Hawksworths go?

For the time being I've just ordered a maroon BG and a maroon BTK - the latter to go as a strengthener in rakes of choc/cream Mk1s, which I have seen a photo of.

One brake third (i think third..) ended up on the N&B branch in a 2 coach passenger train with a collect 1/2 brake..

I think the Bristolian was all Hawksworth when first introduced otherwise they went into some secondary services when the mk1s came in and also branch lines as above.

The brakes were used on milk trains sometimes.

... Where did all the Hawksworths go? ...

I would guess that being introduced right at the end of the GWR's existence, and with BR's soon to be ubiquitous mk 1 emerging little over two years later, there probably were not huge numbers built. And with the mk1 the vehicle of choice for premium trains in the BR steam era, they were probably displaced from principal services pretty quickly?

• RMweb Gold

I inspected a sample today and was most impressed. This comes, please note, from one who is not easily pleased!

Chris

Where was that Chris.Are they in the shops then ?

Where was that Chris.Are they in the shops then ?

Not yet, Rob, though a couple of advertisers in the Modeller are quoting prices for them. This was at DEMU Showcase on the Hornby stand. Two brake composites were on show, one maroon and one blood'n'custard. Andy Y's photos earlier in the thread will give you an idea of how good they look. The elusive tumblehome looks spot on to me, the glazing is as flush as it gets and there is even the train heating pipe [V shaped thing] on the underframe.

The corridor third will look good running with the Bachmann BCK I bought from you ...

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the more common ones

Which types are these? I don't know much about the longevity of the Hawksworths but understand some survived into the 1980s. Presumably some types lasted longer than others? What could I run in a mixed rake with Mk1s by the late 60s/early 70s and after? Or were they kept together in rakes for summer holiday traffic? I've seen photos but it's not clear what was commonplace and what was the exception. Can anyone help, please? They look so good I will need to run a few at least.

I would guess that being introduced right at the end of the GWR's existence, and with BR's soon to be ubiquitous mk 1 emerging little over two years later, there probably were not huge numbers built. And with the mk1 the vehicle of choice for premium trains in the BR steam era, they were probably displaced from principal services pretty quickly?

I can't find very many pictures of workings where the majority of coaches were Hawksworths - ususally they showed up in ones or twos, usually less than the number of random Collett coaches in the same train. By the time they got into maroon they were almost certainly used this way. I have seen reference to a Hawksworth rake for the Riviera, but I don't believe I've seen a photo of it (and the majority of the coaches would have been replaced by Mk1s relatively quickly).

Adrian