Hornby/Modelzone Network SouthEast Networker

Summer_Saturday

saw one of these on saturday in the Holborn branch, is a nice model but couldn't really see any difference between this and the original one released by Hornby a few years ago apart from a different unit number, not even sure if it's DCC ready so don't think I'll be buying one but it could be useful for those who didn't get them the first time round.

Hi,

just for reference, there is no DCC Ready or similar marking on the box (R2893).

The description on it does state:

"This Hornby train pack includes a driving motor standard and a driving trailer standard. Both sections of the model feature interior seating, flush windows, black nickel silver wheels, alternative destination labels and working, directional, front and rear lights."

It also has a Modelzone Exclusive sticker on it :rolleyes:

Hope that is of use to someone.

Cheers, Ixion.

saw one of these on saturday in the Holborn branch, is a nice model but couldn't really see any difference between this and the original one released by Hornby a few years ago apart from a different unit number, not even sure if it's DCC ready so don't think I'll be buying one but it could be useful for those who didn't get them the first time round.

Really can't see this being a big seller at that premium price. I'm sure it's a really nice model, but it's been available as a standard model and as far as I'm aware was never a massive seller. Hardly surprising as it's pretty much an orphan model when it comes to second generation EMU's, though things seem to be changing.

Just looked on ebay, and the most recent southeastern models seem to sell for around 40 pounds, and the most recently sold NSE version went for about 35 pounds plus postage, that suggests to me that there is little underlying demand for this model, especially for 1000 of them.

I wish modelzone all the best of luck with this, but they could have done something a bit braver, like tooling up for the centre coaches to produce a 465/2 (or a close approximation thereof, I don't know what the detail differences between the driving vehicles of the 465 and 466 are), but I'm sure there would be more of a market for these, and they would also increase sales of 466's especially if we are going to get NSE liveried Veps and Ceps soon.

• RMweb Premium

For me the problem with Hornby's 466 is that is tainted with experience. I actually bought one many moons ago and quite frankly it was rubbish. The printing of the livery (and remember we are talking Hornby and NSE Livery in the same sentence, always a combination for disaster) was all over the place, there were the well publicised technical problems with the first ones, all of which I could sort out but for me the main issue was with the mechanicals.

The thing could not even haul itself let alone any attendant rice pudding skins that may have been in tow and the moment it sniffed a gradient it would start going backwards.

Some people have done some very nice cut and shuts on the 466 body shells to produce the 465 four car versions presumably extensively remotored as part of the surgery and I believe it was to most cut and shut experts spares box that most of the earlier release 466's eventually wound up.

To note a point from the end of the previous post, yes we will be getting NSE liveried VEP's [remembers Hornby's record on cocking up NSE livery at this point and shudders!!] but no CEP anytime soon unless Bachmann retool for the refurbished version which admittedly could happen but not for a few years yet I would have thought.

Now a NSE 2-EPB is a possibility though, none announced yet but I have a horrible feeling it will get snapped up as a retailer Ltd Edition rather than a proper general release.

• 3 weeks later...

My limited experience with the Hornby Networker, was it was a good model. It was let down by some rather crude detailing, but other is a nice starting point for a model of one. The lights Were decent too. I saw one in the flesh the other day in Model Zone and couldnt really see any recent changes to it, The flush glazing and working lights, have all been done and present on the early and first releases of the Hornby Networker, so the Model Zone price is a bit high wheter its a limited edition or not. Not many of these will sell I dont suspect IMHO...

NL

I saw one in the flesh the other day in Model Zone and couldnt really see any recent changes to it,

NL

I guess for the NSE version , Hornby can get away with the model as-is - however the Connex Black/Grey/Yellow livery models should have the distinctive cab roof pods - and the anti-climb fairing over the buffers/lower cab front (fitted to stop the local scumbags little darlings from train surfing) - Hornby could have done these as separate parts to retro fit - and then not have to do anything to the main tooling. To be honest though I never expected these modern detail differences to be aknowledged on the networker model.

I do think the Modelzone version is a bit pricey - its a shame when this stuff doesnt sell well - it just seems like a waste of materials .

tfn

Jon

I am very tempted to buy one , but after I picked up a secondhand one at a toy & train fair for £35 in very good condition ( only needed a set of the detailing parts added) £95 seems far too expensive!

How long before they are reduced in price I wonder?

• 1 year later...

For me the problem with Hornby's 466 is that is tainted with experience. I actually bought one many moons ago and quite frankly it was rubbish. The printing of the livery (and remember we are talking Hornby and NSE Livery in the same sentence, always a combination for disaster) was all over the place, there were the well publicised technical problems with the first ones, all of which I could sort out but for me the main issue was with the mechanicals.

The thing could not even haul itself let alone any attendant rice pudding skins that may have been in tow and the moment it sniffed a gradient it would start going backwards.

Some people have done some very nice cut and shuts on the 466 body shells to produce the 465 four car versions presumably extensively remotored as part of the surgery and I believe it was to most cut and shut experts spares box that most of the earlier release 466's eventually wound up.

To note a point from the end of the previous post, yes we will be getting NSE liveried VEP's [remembers Hornby's record on cocking up NSE livery at this point and shudders!!] but no CEP anytime soon unless Bachmann retool for the refurbished version which admittedly could happen but not for a few years yet I would have thought.

Now a NSE 2-EPB is a possibility though, none announced yet but I have a horrible feeling it will get snapped up as a retailer Ltd Edition rather than a proper general release.

you was bang on John ;) can you do my euro million numbers please :sungum:

• 1 year later...

I have a Hornby Class 466 which I purchased when it first came out and it is very poor model. It's made think that maybe I should make it non-powered and tow it around with my Class 501 Beastie as happened at Strawberry Hill in the early 1990's rather than have it just sitting in a box!

Has anyone DCC'd a Class 466, if so how easy was and it how well did it run afterwards?

XF

I have a Hornby Class 466 which I purchased when it first came out and it is very poor model. It's made think that maybe I should make it non-powered and tow it around with my Class 501 Beastie as happened at Strawberry Hill in the early 1990's rather than have it just sitting in a box!

Has anyone DCC'd a Class 466, if so how easy was and it how well did it run afterwards?

XF

I have DCC chipped one (Connex) and it vastly improved the running as they are very poor out of the box, I keep looking at them but at £94 odd quidd its not looking likely.

XF

When I hardwired a decoder into one a few years ago, it ran as well as any modern spec motor.  I could never work out how to get the lights to work with the decoder though.

I have recently bought a dummy Class 466 and am converting a Bachmann NSE BSK to an EMU Translator Coach to haul it around with: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975875a & http://railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0681025033000

Archived