Salisbury collision - RAIB press release

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes it takes an incident to highlight an issue that then leads to further safety improvement.

My experience of any sort of Unit Driving is zilch, but the first thing I was told and taught on Driving Courses with Steam was how to stop! Very different of course with steam back in the 'olden days' and I never drove in poor rail head conditions as far as I am aware! 

I will be interested to see what changes might now be made here due to the local Topography and this incident.

May I ask my esteemed colleagues why a Trap Point system does not appear to be in place, set away from and on approach to a Junction such as this? Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
To use the correct term, 'Trap'.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Too early to say but perhaps the junction stop signals for this (and perhaps other similar) junctions should be moved back a block, I don't know the practicalities of this, but given wheel slip seems a major factor then actions like this may help. Just a suggestion.

A reduction in approach speeds to junctions during leaf fall seasons might be as appropriate, however this would have impacts on timetabling. There may be calls for all trains to be given on board leaf removal systems as are currently being tested. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/04/northern-trains-solution-to-leaves-on-the-line-dry-ice-pellets

• Informative/Useful 1

Catch points were there on rising gradients to prevent breakaways from loose coupled trains from going any great distance and imperil the train behind. I think you mean trap points, used to protect the main line from traffic on a subsidiary over-running a signal at danger and colliding with a train on the main. These too have fallen out of favour, especially on passenger carrying lines, but in any case, unless I've got this wrong, the runaway was on the main line so would not have to pass over traps.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask my esteemed colleagues why a Catch Point system does not appear to be in place, set away from and on approach to a Junction such as this? Thanks.

In addition to @LMS2968's response, I think there is also an embankment down to some allotments by the signal in question, trap points there may cause a derailing train to tumble.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I seam to recall one episode of the series about Paddington looking at driver training. They used a pacer on the Okehampton line to demonstrate the effect of poor adhesion getting each candidate to apply braking and see the effects. But thoughts go out to all passengers and crew that have been involved. I know it looks bad but every one is alive.

Keith

Ps was on a Tadpole that failed to stop at Dorking due to leaf fall. It stopped passed the platform and reversed.

Edited by KeithHC
Addition
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

Catch points were there on rising gradients to prevent breakaways from loose coupled trains from going any great distance and imperil the train behind. I think you mean trap points, used to protect the main line from traffic on a subsidiary over-running a signal at danger and colliding with a train on the main. These too have fallen out of favour, especially on passenger carrying lines, but in any case, unless I've got this wrong, the runaway was on the main line so would not have to pass over traps.

Apologies, yes of course Traps. I will never remember. Not going to get into any sort of discussion as I know nowt but this was a converging Junction where the SW Train had to cross to the Down and as a layperson I would have thought a Red for this line would have meant a safety device to prevent just that at the wrong time.

Thanks.

P

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In addition to @LMS2968's response, I think there is also an embankment down to some allotments by the signal in question, trap points there may cause a derailing train to tumble.

Look on Google Earth as that helps show the lie of the land.

• Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic