Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

There's photos of the LNER Green L1 on Hattons, they show the green as being alot darker than the photos on Rails of Sheffield

Very odd...

Still they look very nice!

Simon

Just the usual differences in camera settings and photo techniques.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Garry. Couldn't resist this little beauty of an L1 in BR apple green and have placed an order for one from my usual supplier in Alton....

You won't be disappointed Larry, it's very nice! I can see where some people might perceive the green to be a bit dark but the sheer subjectivity of colour perception means that I'm not going to be worrying about it.

And now for some nice matching coaches, one hopes! ;)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

A top class presentation for the model too Larry, it brings out the best in an already excellent model. Nice touch with the return cranks too and it clearly shows that Simon et al are indeed taking note of constructive observations on this forum. Having now had time to view my own model under natural light, I will concur with your observations concerning the colour.

The lining out is exquisite too - I doubt I'd get anywhere near that with a lining pen! the valve gear, hand-rails and electrical conduits all bring a new level of subtlety to off the shelf RTR in my book. I'd bet my trollies on suitable matching stock coming sometime soon!

That matchboard vehicle in your fourth and fifth photos is lovely too, what's the prototype?

Dave.

Someone on here said that the driving wheels look small...

...The real ones are small, only 5' 2". Smaller than the average suburban tank...

First the model: it looks properly proportioned; now this may just be my wonky eyesight but are the flanges finer than usual? I have had this impression from the various retail site photos, and Coach's very crisp pics above are redoubling the impression. That would make the wheels look smaller than normal for an OO model. And doesn't it just look like the real thing? When I expressed surprise at this choice of subject to a Hornby retailer he told me that the larger tank locos are consistently strong sellers; and yes it is a handsome looking beast, the effect further improved by the pretty exquisite rendering evident in the photos. Let's hope the BR black jobs are on the way...

Secondly, suburban tank locos in UK operations. THE steam worked suburban railway in the UK was of course the Great Eastern's famous 'Jazz' out of Liverpool Street; and I don't believe this and the successor LNER and BR(ER) operations were ever displaced as the most intensive steam worked suburban commuter service in the world. Edward Thompson was much influenced by the thoughts of Stratford works, and their conception of a suburban tank loco was to give it very small wheels. The J69 by LNER classification was a great success on 4' wheels, and was superseded by the similarly successful N7, on 4'10" driving wheels. In this context 5'2" makes sense, the same diameter on the J39 enabled it to travel rather faster than was comfortable for an 0-6-0 and plenty fast enough for suburban traffic; it also gave the beast high nominal tractive effort for unsticking main line loads, both for freight and ECS work. The fact that there were detail design deficiencies which meant that this nice looking loco tended to work itself to pieces is a whole other story.When the proverbial quart is squeezed into a pint pot, something has to give, usually sooner rather then later...

Guest Max Stafford

A bit of T-Cut will soon bring it to life anyway. These were Darlington-built locos in any case, with assistance fron NBL if I remember. I wonder if NBL works archives would list a paint spec. for these engines?

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Larry, I wasn't aware that Doncaster built them or that black was so universal in the early batches too.

Always something new to learn on here!

Dave.

A top class presentation for the model too Larry, it brings out the best in an already excellent model. Nice touch with the return cranks too and it clearly shows that Simon et al are indeed taking note of constructive observations on this forum. Having now had time to view my own model under natural light, I will concur with your observations concerning the colour.

The lining out is exquisite too - I doubt I'd get anywhere near that with a lining pen! the valve gear, hand-rails and electrical conduits all bring a new level of subtlety to off the shelf RTR in my book. I'd bet my trollies on suitable matching stock coming sometime soon!

That matchboard vehicle in your fourth and fifth photos is lovely too, what's the prototype?

Dave.

I concur with yourt thoughts and look forward to seeing the BR L1 soon down here in NZ, together with the Hawksworth blood and custards and more maroons... the standard of modelling by Hornby is truly excellent, what pleasure. Larry's photos of the weathered L1 are marvellous too.

What an excellent forum!

Rob

I think the paint suppier was Williamsons, although there was another firm (whose name excapes me) that had also supplied the old railway compnaies with paint for years.

Larry

My father built a live steam, three and a half inch gauge, GN Atlantic in LNER livery, during the late 1940s/early 1950s. He did his research at the time and found that the LNER Green was supplied by Manders and the shade was called Suffield Green No 2. He was able to obtain some from Manders and he obtained a further supply in the 1970s.

Ian

• Like 1

Guest TomTank

Stunning work there coach!! Shes looks perfect, could you show us a full frontal image, to see your mods to the smoke box door with additional number plate? :)

I'm really looking forward to the BR Black ones, have a late crest one on order from Mike at Darlington Railway Modelling....renumbered to a Darlington one too!

Hornby have really excelled them selves this time, if the B17s are to this standard, which I'm sure they will....great times lay ahead

I have succumbed to buying an L1 'British Rlys' green one. At first I thought that they don't really suit, especially the LNER 9001, but as I also model BR all regions.

I looked at the photos and gave in and bought one, now winging its way to OZ.

Simply stunning. Can't wait for the B17's one LNER and one BR. will sell old tender drive B17 Man Utd.

Will have to run Gresley red and creams with it.

MArk

VERY tasty beastie....

I'll be interested to see how P4-able it is; or will it get a wonder chassis jobbie designed for it as we speak :lol:

Methinks I'd better do some reading up - which shed in Manchester did these end up at Coach? I'm guessing its Gorton - hence the need to read up :rolleyesclear:

VERY tasty beastie....

I'll be interested to see how P4-able it is; or will it get a wonder chassis jobbie designed for it as we speak :lol:

Methinks I'd better do some reading up - which shed in Manchester did these end up at Coach? I'm guessing its Gorton - hence the need to read up :rolleyesclear:

Ian,

They did'nt seem to move from London,East Anglia,Hull and the North East until DMU's really took a hold.

1955 IA Shed Book -no real changes

1959 IA Locoshed book

67743,67747,67748,67751,67756,67762,67781,67782,67795,67796,67798 were all at 9G Gorton

NB I have no shed books between 1955 and 1959 so they may have moved to Gorton at some date before 1959.

But I'm pretty sure they wouldnt have been green :D :D :D

HTH

• RMweb Premium

VERY tasty beastie....

Hi Ian,

They did indeed finish up at Gorton, but according to the records I have the first one didn't arrive there until May 1957. As to how long they remained in green, according to RCTS only till their first general overhaul, which would be perfectly logical. How long did it take them to run up enough mileage to reach that first overhaul though I wonder? Trouble is, all the first 24 which were painted green were either on the GE section or at Neasden until well into the '50's. I bet there wasn't much green visible on Stratford or Neasden engines either. Still, who knows what wanderings they may have got up to ;)