Bachmann pre-production samples

Andy Y

Sadly not the case. The unit is "correct" with a motor coach and trailer. The inverted triangle is supposed to be on the end that has the brake van, for early advice to staff loading mail/parcels at stations. This unit would cause some confusion - and not a little Anglo-Saxon - by misleading the staff!

It's a silly error (based on the fact that they've got it right with the blue/grey one) so hopefully they'll sort it out. Black triangles are easier to add than remove!

Tell you what though, I can't get over how good that blue/grey one looks. It will look great coupled up to an NSE VEP.

Again forgive my naivety but is there precedent that says a paint issue (such as the black triangle) is something Bachmann can sort before the EPB is released? I guess the internal compartments are a little harder?

Looking at the three models displayed it seems blue with full yellow ends, green with green ends, and blue-grey with NSE flashes will be on general release. Modelzone has commissioned blue with small yellow warning panels and (according to a post on the Warley thread) Lord and Butler has commissioned green with small yellow ends.

Does that only leave standard blue-grey, NSE, and green with full yellow (if they carried this livery)? Were there any blue-grey sets with NSE flashes but without the red compartment stripe? And were there different versions of NSE with different angled stripes or shades of blue?

I would have thought that of the Blue/Grey NSE flashed versions there would be (in chronological order) there would be:

1) Blue/Grey with NSE flashes, no red stripe for compartment, no headlight

2) Blue/Grey with NSE flashes, no red stripe for compartment, headlight (???)

3) Blue/Grey with NSE flashes, red stripe for compartment, headlight (as modelled)

There's also the Kent Link branding to consider too!

NSE branding came first in 1986 onwards, though of the three other criteria (compartment stripe, Kent Link branding and headlight) i'm not sure which order they should be in.

Bachmann have just updated their website again and in addition to shots of those items seen at Warley they've also put up new shots of the retooled 37/0s :

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-781.jpg&cat_no=32-781&info=0&width=650&height=231

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-783DS.jpg&cat_no=32-783DS&info=0&width=650&height=224

Bruce

Tell you what though, I can't get over how good that blue/grey one looks. It will look great coupled up to an NSE VEP.

Nah, don't like that red stripe - anyone'd think that was the buffet car!

I hope Bachmann will add the plain blue/grey, and dummy (unpowered) units in all liveries, asap!

If I get two blue units, and manage to swap bodies about to make a dummy unit, would anyone be interested in buying the remaining double-powered unit?

Bachmann have just updated their website again and in addition to shots of those items seen at Warley they've also put up new shots of the retooled 37/0s :

http://www.Bachmann....=650&height=231

http://www.Bachmann....=650&height=224

Bruce

Liking the split-box 37 cant wait to get my limted edtion Class 37 group 37003 , just hope they have it so I can have two snowploughs each side and a coupling both sides .

James

It was suggested to me at Warley that the 2 EPB Motor Brake Second has the wrong roof. Even though the periscopes are in the correct place, the conduits were suggested as being those of the 'Tyneside' version, which was different to the main batch for the SR. Looking at photos, it seems there were at least two variants within the 5701-5779 series (itself built in several batches over period of around four years) plus further differences on the 'Tyneside' version, aside from the periscopes.

The photos of the Bachmann samples at Warley seem to be a close match for higher-numbered 2 EPBs (eg 5754) but don't match the lower numbered units (eg 5725). The last of the old style appears to have been 5752, with the later style applying from 5753 onwards. The roof also seems a close match for the first batch of 2 Hap units (6001-42). The conduits on the sample do not quite match a Tyneside unit. If that is what Bachmann have done, it seems sensible provided you choose the correct numbers, as the roof is then ready for an early 2 Hap should Bachmann decide to do one.

Archived