Bachmann pre-production samples

Andy Y

Guest Max Stafford

Strange you should mention the Tyneside version. The sample at DEMU Showcase had the roof guard lookouts in the position as on the Tyneside version. I pointed this out to Backmann.Looks very good in all other respects.

Cheers.

Well, let's hope it's a portent of things to come. Might look good beside their J27 and Q6... ;)

Dave.

Looks like the standard close-coupling Mk1 configuration to me, Dogmatix. Plenty of plug in close couplers you can use there. If you're not dragging the units with a loco Kadee 19 or 20 will probably do you.

Nice model, but not in my area of interest - unless they do the North Tyneside variant!(hint) ;)

Dave.

Well, let's hope so, Dave, but in the picture it looks very much like the NEM pocket is moulded as part of the bogie frame, just like on the outer ends 4CEP. And this will be a pity, because there is plenty of scope for running 2EPBs in multiple.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I got a chance to look at the autoballasters, Stiva car carrier and Cement tank in the flesh today and they look superb. The blue on the autoballasters is going to be corrected as it was done to the specified RAL but naturally the paint shop for Railtracks builder did thier own thing!

I think I'm going to need more sidings . . . .

Today was an opportunity to grab a few more shots of the 2EPB pre-prod.

It was dangerously growing on me by the minute!

EPB3.jpg

EPB2.jpg

EPB1.jpg

The LNER steel-siders are belters.

LNER1.jpg

LNER2.jpg

LNER3.jpg

Only when I get home and look at the snap in full res can I actually say that the chain is part of the body moulding and not a separately applied part. Very convincing in the flesh.

LNERchain2.jpg

That EPB is definitely a bit of a mongrel - the body from the main series with the roof detail from the Tyneside units (periscopes further back, with a cable running between them).

It looks good though, mainly because it's sitting at the right height on it's bogies rather than several millimetres too high like most RTR coaches do.

• RMweb Premium

Strange you should mention the Tyneside version. The sample at DEMU Showcase had the roof guard lookouts in the position as on the Tyneside version. I pointed this out to Backmann.Looks very good in all other respects.

Cheers.

I think these bogs ran on the South Tyneside section (turn right going out of Newcastle North end) - sorry! (Unless of course your model is of Central Station where they would be seen next to the North Tyneside Units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now if they could only do the actual North Tyneside artics that WOULD be cool!

Whatever, the model looks really superb and what a boon for 3rd Rail SR bods.

36E

Well, let's hope it's a portent of things to come. Might look good beside their J27 and Q6... ;)

With effort I've made with these two classes in the past, I hope they don't produce. Last thing I want is someone looking at a J26 I'm building from a Bradwell kit and ask me if it's a detailed Bachmann model!!!

Hi

4mm I believe I wish it was 2.

Cheers

Paul

They're doing the 2EPB in 4mm scale so maybe they'll do a 4EPB in 2mm scale! No? I'll just slink back in to my hole then. ;)

All my old Parkside kit opens are getting the treament as they will represent the damaged High Steels that were so frequent a sight.

the 2EPB ... dangerously growing on me by the minute!...

You and me both then. I am still trying to figure out how the layout plan can incorporate some NLR route running over, so that one of these can slide past periodically.

Guest Max Stafford

With effort I've made with these two classes in the past, I hope they don't produce. Last thing I want is someone looking at a J26 I'm building from a Bradwell kit and ask me if it's a detailed Bachmann model!!!

I think I can live with your angst mate! ;) :P

Dave.

So could I if it was a J21, or Q6 ...

Those new pictures of the wagons look good. Why does one have round marks on the side of the wagon? Does this denote that its used for carrying a certain mineral? In any case, they all look good and will no doubt be popular.... but go on Bachmann you need a ex-NER machine on the front....

So could I if it was a J21, or Q6 ...

Those new pictures of the wagons look good. Why does one have round marks on the side of the wagon? Does this denote that its used for carrying a certain mineral? In any case, they all look good and will no doubt be popular.... but go on Bachmann you need a ex-NER machine on the front....

On the inside of the round marks- 'dimples'- were steel rings intended for use when chaining or tying down a load.

There were some of these wagons dedicated to particular mineral traffics. Those for soda ash had an extra bar to secure the doors shut, whilst those for shingle traffic from the New Romney branch had the doors welded shut.

They're splendid little models- I think my old Hornby-Dublo SD ones might finally be retired.....

... Why does one have round marks on the side of the wagon? ...

Each dimple accomodated a roping ring inside the body. Operational experience of the early examples without this feature revealed that unlike a wooden body where a nail knocked in provided a roping point, this was a significant lack in a steel bodied vehicle. Ah, FC beat me to it.

That 2-EPB looks great, what would the options be for a conversion to a 4-EPB? I suppose Bachmann could always have a go? :blink:

Wasn't thinking of getting one (if they do NSE) as they were much more Kent and Sussex based units I believe, but saw a photograph yesterday of a 4-EPB paired with a CIG/VEP on a Waterloo - Weymouth!

That 2-EPB looks great, what would the options be for a conversion to a 4-EPB? I suppose Bachmann could always have a go? blink.gif

In very broad terms the 2 car has a driving motor brake and a driving trailer, the 4 car has two driving motor brakes and two non-driving trailers.

That 2-EPB looks great, what would the options be for a conversion to a 4-EPB?

I reckon you'd need 3 sets - the third set would provide compartments and non-driving ends (to replace the cabs on the two other driving trailers to turn them in to trailers) and plain bogie to replace the ones with shoebeam.

Hack the interiors to suit, remove the roof cabling and change the underframe equipment to the later 1957 type (using Southern Pride bits) and you'd be there. The remains of the third set plus MJT etched sides would give a MLV to make sure the leftovers don't go to waste

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

That EPB is definitely a bit of a mongrel - the body from the main series with the roof detail from the Tyneside units (periscopes further back, with a cable running between them).

It looks good though, mainly because it's sitting at the right height on it's bogies rather than several millimetres too high like most RTR coaches do.

The EPB does look good, but I do hope it's not too late for Bachmann to correct the roof detail. The periscope in particular is supposed to be above the guard's compartment and it looks very odd where it is. The guards compartment on the Tyneside units was bigger, hence the periscopes being further back on those units.

EDIT: Wasn't sure about the two destination board holders between the guards and passenger accomodation either. Whilst all units seem to have been so fitted originally, some had lost them by the time they were in BR Blue or Blue/Grey. Something to watch out for when renumbering.

I reckon you'd need 3 sets - the third set would provide compartments and non-driving ends (to replace the cabs on the two other driving trailers to turn them in to trailers) and plain bogie to replace the ones with shoebeam.

Hack the interiors to suit, remove the roof cabling and change the underframe equipment to the later 1957 type (using Southern Pride bits) and you'd be there. The remains of the third set plus MJT etched sides would give a MLV to make sure the leftovers don't go to waste

That Means I am going to get 2 x sets for normal use and another 3 to make the 4 EPB makng 5 sets in total! assuming one of the powered chassis would be sufficient for the 4 car unit I would be left with 2 powered chassis and I could possibly use the Replica MLV parts then to produce a couple of MLV's. Very interesting proposition.

Ian

Archived