The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Amazon to stop accepting Visa Credit payments from January

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JJGraphics said:

. . . or perhaps Amazon bottled it when they received many angry e-mails like the one I sent telling them I would not buy from them again if they went ahead with stopping Visa . . . ?

But if Visa did not blink Amazon would lose money on you, so why would they be bothered.

Don't blame Amazon, blame Visa

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Blame both of them, they both want to pay less fees/make more money from the customer.

Amazons profit margin is minimal, enough that Visa taking advantage of rule changes could put them from profit to loss on some transactions.

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think that's Musk. 

Although it might have changed recently as it seems Bitcoin hasn't being doing so well lately, and he's into that.

Yes, apparently Musk is now. The site I looked (Forbes) was for 2021 and listed Bezos as at the top. Whichever, he still has made a huge amount of money. Pity he doesn't put it to better use than vanity projects. But I guess that is what multi - billionaires do.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So how come Bezos is the richest man in the world.

Erm.. because he (or rather Amazon) sells HUGE QUANTITIES of stuff all round the world.

As the old saying goes, "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So how come Bezos is the richest man in the world.

Not with money just the value of Amazon.

Huge volumes at small profit each.

13 hours ago, MJI said:

Not with money just the value of Amazon.

Huge volumes at small profit each.

Martin, 

estimated cost of his rocket programme is $5.5Bn. That came from his Amazon activities presumably, whether retained profit or asset sales is immaterial. He is also spending between $500M and $1.2Bn on a new yacht, although if that appears as a business rather than a personal asset, I suppose that won't matter

That this all from a small unit profit on a huge volume of sales is immaterial.

Jol

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Martin, 

estimated cost of his rocket programme is $5.5Bn. That came from his Amazon activities presumably, whether retained profit or asset sales is immaterial. He is also spending between $500M and $1.2Bn on a new yacht, although if that appears as a business rather than a personal asset, I suppose that won't matter

That this all from a small unit profit on a huge volume of sales is immaterial.

Jol

At least it is being used for something rather than nothing. But if you want to see scary, Microsoft are spending 67B dollars on some games studios. Equivalent to roughly 150D (say £120) for every gamer.

• 4 months later...