New batch of Bulleid Coaches

darren01

A couple of questions arise here. First, have Bachmann ever explained why more recent offerings in BR-SR green are not the same shade as before? If they have, I have missed it.

Second, does anyone use a paintbrush these days?

Chris

A couple of questions arise here. First, have Bachmann ever explained why more recent offerings in BR-SR green are not the same shade as before? If they have, I have missed it.

Second, does anyone use a paintbrush these days?

Chris

Or even an airbrush? Or a spraycan? (usual arguments against here). For what it's worth, so far as I'm concerned, the most recent interpretation of the green is much closer to a realistic interpretation of the BR(S) variety* than the earlier version which, I'm afraid looked wrong in tone and shade (irrespective of the usual saws about varnishing and fading): it certainly jarred badly when running next to our Precision (various vintages) and Railmatch (ditto) painted kitbuilds. The offending Bulleid and Mark 1s were resprayed at the first opportunity. The most recent version doesn't jar so badly even if it is a touch dark, perhaps.

On the Bachmann Bulleids in general, however, having flush-glazed one, I will not be buying another in their current form.

Adam

* Several preserved railways (Swanage, West Somerset, though the latter only a single vehicle) use a colour which does look remarkably similar to the earlier Bachmann shade. It looks wrong, even at full size.

Graham Hubbard of Bachmann swears the shade of BR=SR green on the current BR version is accurate and says they went to the original manufacturer for the paint specification. He says that in that holding it up to a green paint restored version of the prototype shows no shades of difference. (From my conversation with him at Sacramento National Train Show, Sunday July 10, 2011.)

Not that I really care as I will be repainting to a 1946-47 Southern Railway green when I can get narrow top lights to replace the current BR built version.

Graham also indicated that he thought the very first set of the original SR Bulleid coaches were built on LMS coach under frames. Anyone know anything about that?

Graham also indicated that he thought the very first set of the original SR Bulleid coaches were built on LMS coach under frames. Anyone know anything about that?

Does he mean the original 59' long batch? They had bog standard 59' Southern Coach underframes - the same as most of the Maunsell loco hauled stock.

• RMweb Premium

Graham Hubbard of Bachmann swears the shade of BR=SR green on the current BR version is accurate and says they went to the original manufacturer for the paint specification. He says that in that holding it up to a green paint restored version of the prototype shows no shades of difference. (From my conversation with him at Sacramento National Train Show, Sunday July 10, 2011.)

Ah well, damned if they do, damned if they don't decision then; they chose correctness over compatibility.

• RMweb Premium

Does he mean the original 59' long batch? They had bog standard 59' Southern Coach underframes - the same as most of the Maunsell loco hauled stock.

That was my understanding, the only complication being that the underframes were I think built several years before the bodywork due to the war getting in the way.

Hmmm.....

Bulleid coaches!

I want to include the 2nd open stock that ended up in Scotland!

Any ideas about modelling these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Southern Pride did produce these some time ago but they have long been out of stock (I must have bought mine about 15 years ago!). It may be possible to find an unmade kit.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=44355

Mine is numbered as one of those transferred to the Eastern Region.

I just checked Mike King's Southern Coaches book. He states the 59' stock was built on Maunsell/ Lynes designed underframes. The only reference tro LMS is that the last few orders had LMS-pattern electrical switchgear.

Bill

There's a possible explanation here then - a small area of a given colour will generally look darker than a large area, so if the model does match the preserved prototype - and if that preserved vehicle is in itself correct - then that will explain why some perceive it to be too dark.

Ah well, damned if they do, damned if they don't decision then; they chose correctness over compatibility.

Yep, it's a path Bachmann tread too often, though IMO they do it pretty well - compare with the Mk1 roof ribs debate. Hornby OTOH have put themselves in the position where the new addition to the gangwayed Gresley range has to continue the incorrect profile of the earlier models.

• RMweb Premium

There's a possible explanation here then - a small area of a given colour will generally look darker than a large area, so if the model does match the preserved prototype - and if that preserved vehicle is in itself correct - then that will explain why some perceive it to be too dark.

What is disappointing with the Bachmann BR(SR) Green on it OO Mk1s is that it even looks darker than the colour used on the Farish equivalents and indeed on their OO Mk2. If Bachmann insist the latest OO green is correct, what about the others?

More pertintent, perhaps, is that Hornby seems to have got the BR green spot on with their Maunsells. If only Bachmann would match that, then I think most of us would be happy. Certainly, until Bachmann uses a lighter green I will not be buying any more Mk1s.

I just checked Mike King's Southern Coaches book. He states the 59' stock was built on Maunsell/ Lynes designed underframes. The only reference tro LMS is that the last few orders had LMS-pattern electrical switchgear.

Bill

Quite so, Bill.

As with anything 'Southern', it has an interesting history,.. well,. to me, at least.

The 59' Bulleid's underframes were built at Lancing C & WW in 1940, based, as you point out, on those of the Maunsell stock.

lt wasn't until the latter stages of WW2, that the 'Go ahead' was given, to build the coach bodies. The first sets appearing in 1945.

The electrical switchgear, based on an LMS (Wolverton) design, was introduced in 1950, fitted to 'Loose' TOs, some of which were later formed into Sets 850/1/2. The following 1951, 3-car Sets, 850 - 865 were also fitted with this switch gear, as were the BR Std.Mk.1 coaches, which were to follow.

Here's pics, of the box of tricks, on Bachmann's models.

post-7009-0-27461900-1311327545_thumb.jpg

Bulleid

post-7009-0-74611100-1311327618_thumb.jpg

BR Std.Mk.1.

For those who like to get down to the nitty-gritty, here's Richard Salmon's excellent gallery. The electrical switchgear, in question, is shown in the 14th. pic. down.

http://www.rhbnc.ac....nderframes.html

I must add, that in all of the Bulleid coaches that l have clambered under, carrying torch and tape-measure, back in the late 1970s, l didn't see one with the orginally equipped, central, 30" Dia. vacuum brake cylinder, still in situ. The mounting brackets and 'dog-legged' steam heating pipe were the only clues that remained.

To supplement Richard Salmon's photos, here's part of the drawings l prepared at the time, using the official SR drawings + my own measurements. You'll notice that the inner longitudinal channels / angles are spaced wider apart than those on Bachmann's models.]

post-7009-0-93989300-1312290630_thumb.jpg

Edited to swap the older underframe drawing, with an up-dated version. (Please note. There were several, various, positions of the equipment carried, not to mention that of the catering cars.)

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

I have some Bachmann Bulieds which I purchased some time ago. Taking one out of the box to test my new track today I noticed a little bag of bits under the white packaging. I have not got a clue what they are and there does not appear to be anywhere to attach them, any ideas would be welcome?

• 11 months later...

Just to be a nuisance, has anyone heard a possible date for Bachmann to do a proper update/re-tooling on their Bulleid coaches (with flush glazing) - I am ASSUMING that next year Hornby will start producing their High-window Maunsell in Southern Region green, but I would prefer Bulleids, but their detailling just doesn't compete.

There has been no announcement as such from any company. Who knows what they are working on for years to come? And those that to know will be sworn to secrecy! Farish have announced them in N so I would assume that Bachmann are our best bet.

I personally would love to see a re-vamp and increase in the range but, considering their age they are reasonably good models, glazing aside, so they might not be given a very high priority!

I have some Bachmann Bulieds which I purchased some time ago. Taking one out of the box to test my new track today I noticed a little bag of bits under the white packaging. I have not got a clue what they are and there does not appear to be anywhere to attach them, any ideas would be welcome?

They are the foot boards for the bogies if I remember correctly.

... And the footboards for under the doors.

Archived