Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

"Henry de Zoete is an entrepreneur and alumnus of renowned Silicon Valley start-up accelerator Y Combinator. In 2014, he co-founded The Big Deal which uses tech to facilitate collective bargaining for consumers."

So we can look forward to only being able to buy Hornby online using bitcoin? Oh great.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

The automated voice on my mobile phone sat nav app became orgasmically excited by going over the new Mersey Gateway bridge last time I went to Widnes, her normally calm and level intonation went up an octave and reached levels of excitement that were palpable.

Most odd.

Was your Satnav app perhaps programmed before the bridge was there?:jester:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I found the following sentence a bit of a concern:

"I am really excited to give strategic input as the brilliant team focuses on digital transformation and growth, to build the business for generations to come."

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Moves into AR and VR would appeal to a younger audience and can out a lot of imagination and animated graphics into both model railways and scalextrix… I hope thats what they mean by digital transformation.

These comments remind me of something from Star Trek, the Next Generation and Voyager.

To me, getting into VR means I open the cupboard under the stairs and step inside, and find myself in a room 50' x 50' with a massive scale train set which works perfectly.  I spend the morning operating it (and some of the trains operate themselves to add to the entertainment).  When my phone pings with the message "Lunch" I say in a purposeful voice "COMPUTER - Arch" and the doorway into the hall materialises in front of me and I step back into reality for half an hour.

Anyone else want 10mg of my medicine?

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

To be honest if your out of work or retired or such like then no doubt youll be sat there at 7, 8 or 10am or whatever time its meant to all kick off but I suspect many of us have jobs we have to do tomorrow so in a way its good.  Leave the big AM excitement to those who will be glued to the website for the launch and by the time me and my employed brothers have done their days work can drop in and thumb through everything over a leisurely nightcap without the slow drip feed or potential of a constantly crashing website......

One year - can't remember which - the Hornby website was still "acting up" a couple of days later.

OK so I'm all ready for tomorrow. Teasmade set for 7am, cornflakes dry poured, muffins in the toaster, collie dog has pee pants on, trousers in press, fresh pants and socks ready, wet wipes at bedside (for a quick wash!!). Oh and missus has locked the credit cards away. Let the fun begin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

To be honest if your out of work or retired or such like then no doubt youll be sat there at 7, 8 or 10am or whatever time its meant to all kick off but I suspect many of us have jobs we have to do tomorrow so in a way its good.  Leave the big AM excitement to those who will be glued to the website for the launch and by the time me and my employed brothers have done their days work can drop in and thumb through everything over a leisurely nightcap without the slow drip feed or potential of a constantly crashing website......

Is it just me then who has booked the day off work? 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

"Henry de Zoete is an entrepreneur and alumnus of renowned Silicon Valley start-up accelerator Y Combinator. In 2014, he co-founded The Big Deal which uses tech to facilitate collective bargaining for consumers."

Maybe we should have taken him on to represent us lot?

I'm not sure what he is adding to the Hornby board.

Without wishing to get TOO political, I do note he was a prominent Vote Leave campaigner, as of course was Hornby's current landlord, who previously held a stake in Hornby group plc (may still do).  

• Agree 2

Before the Transporter Bridge ------

I know Runcorn & Widnes very well, being a gas standby engineer for 20 odd years for this area (and Warrington). Decent but strange folk, being very different either side of the water in many ways. It didn't help me being a Wiganer either !!!  Happy days (sometimes !!).

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Without wishing to get TOO political, I do note he was a prominent Vote Leave campaigner, as of course was Hornby's current landlord, who previously held a stake in Hornby group plc (may still do).  

The landlord sold a goodly chunk of his shares several years ago.  He now probably makes more money out of Hornby as their landlord than he was ever likely to make out of dividends from his shares in the company.

However as normal for this time of year the share price is up - but not as far up as it was last year.  It will be interesting to see where it has got to by the end of the week.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, JohnR said:

So he knows how to pick the winning side then :P at least we won't have to worry about endless whingeing about B&%*t as an excuse for Hornby's issues!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMS said:

From Wirral people commonly take jobs in London and then return later in their lives.

Anyway why did WIRRAL come up when Widnes was the subject - different sides of the Mersey for starters:wacko:

The wierdest thing is that Widnes is considered to be in Cheshire... As odd as a Boundary Commission proposal that Wallasey and Bootle be combined as one constituency...  Luckily that one got squashed!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, rembrow said:

OK so I'm all ready for tomorrow. Teasmade set for 7am, cornflakes dry poured, muffins in the toaster, collie dog has pee pants on, trousers in press, fresh pants and socks ready, wet wipes at bedside (for a quick wash!!). Oh and missus has locked the credit cards away. Let the fun begin.

Yup. Alarm set for 6.50am. Computer on. Firefox updating.

Back to bed.

7pm Dell computer updating

8pm update complete. Hornby website down. RMWeb overloaded.

Alarm set for 10am .....

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

So he knows how to pick the winning side then :P at least we won't have to worry about endless whingeing about B&%*t as an excuse for Hornby's issues!

So, if we do get any of that, we'll know it's something else beginning with B and ending with T.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, ThaneofFife said:

What....just for this?   Well anyway, enjoy your day and hopefully you wont be reporting back to say "nothing in it for me"....  lol.

I have too much time to take off before the end of March, thanks to a couple of spells off on sick leave. Not much else to take them off for this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnR said:

generically..
execs run the company.

non-execs get full insight to the company, question and give advice, and report back to stakeholders (shareholders).

in simplistic terms…

its a bit like the grandparents coming round to “help” parents with the kids… different roles / responsibilities, experience but ultimately both have the baby and the bath waters best interest at heart.

Of course the non-execs also have a role of independant feedback to the ultimate owners of the baby…(the major shareholders), which may offer a different view than that of the execs.

Digital transformation has been a recurring theme at Hornby, it was in the 2018 Hornby documentary, which would be year 1 of the new managements plan..but all ive seen in this space is a new Iphone driven controller, and a new website, and its now year 4… so maybe this role is to move that along a bit, one way or another.

i see it as a positive.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Digital transformation has been a recurring theme at Hornby, it was in the 2018 Hornby documentary, which would be year 1 of the new managements plan..but all ive seen in this space is a new Iphone driven controller, and a new website, and its now year 4… so maybe his role is to move that along a bit, one way or another.

i see it as a positive.

I would too, if he had any relevant experience to that. But he doesnt. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Hattons' trunk service is your friend! Arrange to get it all delivered when you know they're out.

Except with Hornby (and Bachmann) it is likely to be an empty trunk, which sort of defeats the point...

Edited by mdvle
  • Funny 5

40 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Be careful after tomorrows announcement !!!!

image.png.43864a84cd6b70f6436bc01f8abdc647.png

Brit15

22 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Hattons' trunk service is your friend! Arrange to get it all delivered when you know they're out.

Given the lengthy delays between announcing product and it actually being landed at Felixtowe (other ports are available), there may well be a considerable disconnect between tomorrow and an appointment with The Detector!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I note Sam has decided to avoid the mad early morning scrum of the hoi polloi, and will be broadcasting to the nation at 1pm.

‘Hoi polloi’ is sufficient on its own. It means, ‘the many’, and needs no additional definite article.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1