Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - 15 minutes without a post on this thread.

Maybe (mostly) everyone's tucked up with their Horlicks ready for an early start tomorrow?

edit: for clarity

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

As a side note, when they're good humoured, I really enjoy these speculation threads. It's just a bit of fun, and this year at least I haven't really got anything invested in the outcome because my main area of interest has been quite well covered by various manufacturers in the last few years.

My final guesses before the big reveal:

GWR "Saint" Class 4-6-0 - I've predicted this one for the last couple of years but it has to be inevitable now with the new build stretching its legs across the country. As the last mass-produced GWR 4-6-0 not to be offered RTR it's low hanging fruit which Hornby would be foolish not to take. I wouldn't be surprised if it only appears in "Lady of Legend" guise initially though, actual GWR modellers might have to use some poetic license.

BR Class 89 - Unusual, one-off locomotives have been a huge sales success recently and the 89 complements the new 91 nicely. As an added bonus, the real one still exists and will return to the mainline soon, with the possibility of it being used on revenue earning services. I wouldn't be surprised if the apparent lack of progress on the Rails/Accurascale Class 89 is down to somebody learning of Hornby taking it on.

Additionally, I predict that both Hornby and a certain Canadian manufacturer will announce a 14xx and Autocoach, more or less concurrently.

Hornby's 14xx will undercut its rival on price and arrive in shops sooner, and will later be revealed to be rushed through in an ill-advised TV documentary. Rivet counters will gleefully point out all the ways in which the Hornby one is inferior, but then still buy one anyway when they get reduced to clear like the Terriers...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Additionally, I predict that both Hornby and a certain Canadian manufacturer will announce a 14xx and Autocoach, more or less concurrently.

Agree but would still be happy if only one brought a decent 14XX,  if a new "classic" autocoach  appeared that would be the cherry on top.

Stu

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lapford34102 said:

Agree but would still be happy if only one brought a decent 14XX,  if a new "classic" autocoach  appeared that would be the cherry on top.

Stu

Could be similar to the 91-and-Mk4s situation where they leave the Autocoach until 2023. However, considering that it's such an appealing train to modellers in terms of space and cost I'm surprised it hasn't been redone already! 

• Like 1

Hi,

Been watching this with interest and I think both Hornby AND Rapido have been playing us….

Rapido’s part in this has nothing to do with new models, I suspect it is a new partnership between them that is to be shared with us all tomorrow.

Maybe Hornby have subbed Rapido in on a consultancy basis for 2022, to show them how to assemble quality models for the discerning customer and paint them properly too?

just a thought….coat, hat and all that…..

Regards,

Shed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Reading the last page, You can tell were close to the end… 

Someone play Frank Sinatra, turn on the lights, clear the dance floor and tell everyone to goto bed.

i’m planning a lie in.. up at 8, little one to school and read at 9…

The alternative.. household chaos at 7, need a cuppa before I can think, no chance to view the website as i’ll get roped into the morning rush, and still wont get to read it until 9am.

That or i’ll hide the ipad under the bed and play dead until everyones down stairs.

Final food for thought…

kernows page is ready with the following text..

Hornby 2022 Range

The Hornby 2022 Range will be shown in this section. It is announced on 10th January and will be added to this section as soon as possible. This section also includes previously-announced items that have not yet arrived from the 2020 and 2021 range. 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2022-Range/6

Theres 193 items still undelivered on that list.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

I'm surprised it hasn't been redone already! 

So am I. Not overly surprised that Hornby might have been trying to eke out as much as they could from their existing 14XX and autocoach but a bit baffled that no-one - Dapol obviously - else has taken a punt now the DJM 14XX is long past. We've got decent models of both types of GWR railcar which rather highlights the gap.

A Class 230, possibly a bit too left field but you are right, it ticks boxes when you think about it. There's a few other things I would like to see but not long to wait now. Be interesting to see what we are actually chatting about in the morning :-)

Cheers

Stu

1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

I'm gonna throw one last left field prediction out there...

The Class 230.

Odd choice you might think, but they'll soon be appearing on rural branch lines across the country and they're completely up-to-date which must heighten their appeal to Hornby.

Which almost certainly will mean it's not announced.  If Vivarail were recycling GWR Autocoaches and Panniers, it might stand a chance, but as something recycled from a 1970s train, no.

That said, they have recycled several old Lima toolings into their range which are from the 1970s so...

10 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I found the following sentence a bit of a concern:

"I am really excited to give strategic input as the brilliant team focuses on digital transformation.."

Perhaps they are planning to finally give the Hornby Railmaster software the long overdue overhaul it is crying out for. It is currently so crude and buggy.

Maybe 2022 is the year we'll finally see the R8306 Railmaster Loco Detection System brought to market.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Anyone doing an all nighter so they don’t sleep through their alarms and miss all the announcements?

Don't have much choice, I'm at work! I'll have a quick look at the headlines before bed. :read:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

generically..
execs run the company.

non-execs get full insight to the company, question and give advice, and report back to stakeholders (shareholders).

in simplistic terms…

its a bit like the grandparents coming round to “help” parents with the kids… different roles / responsibilities, experience but ultimately both have the baby and the bath waters best interest at heart.

Of course the non-execs also have a role of independant feedback to the ultimate owners of the baby…(the major shareholders), which may offer a different view than that of the execs.

I prefer Michael Grade’s definition on HIGNFY.

A non executive director is like a bidet in your bathroom.  You don’t know what it’s for but it adds a touch of class.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 8

Let's see...8 AM GMT is 12 AM PST...

I think I can wait until my morning coffee is brewed.

There's not a chance in h... that Hornby UK or Rapido UK will an Southern Pacific M-6 Mogul in HO tomorrow morning.  Slightly greater odds on a new Southern pacific....

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

Tasks completed: dogs walked, shave, shower, my breakfast eaten, wife is going to have breakfast in bed so I can have the living room TV to myself, think I'll have a laugh watching 1 hour of Sam Strains as a warm-up before the main event :D

Please lots of LNER like a C12, Diagram 93 railcar, J39, D49 retool.

• Like 1