Bovey Quay

Gedward

5 hours ago, Gedward said:

I'm off to Minehead tomorrow to view a property that fits the bill. Fingers crossed.

Got them crossed for you🤞. Good luck. . . .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Gedward said:

Finally finished this study.

Minehead_01 final.jpg

Brilliant. 

Hence my suggestion...........

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Excellent George.  I'd imagine that fur and feathers are both very hard to paint.

Many thanks Graham. Er, you'd be right there sir!

Only the second bird I've ever painted the last one, a kingfisher was in 1982.

I use exactly the same techniques whatever the subject. Starting with a mono underpainting usually in burnt umber. Then slowly building up the subsequent colour layers. Then going over the whole with glazes and scumbles. Finishing with added highlights where needed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Many thanks Graham. Er, you'd be right there sir!

Only the second bird I've ever painted the last one, a kingfisher was in 1982.

I use exactly the same techniques whatever the subject. Starting with a mono underpainting usually in burnt umber. Then slowly building up the subsequent colour layers. Then going over the whole with glazes and scumbles. Finishing with added highlights where needed.

I start in the same way, interestingly enough, but don't use glazes at all.  Hope you don't mind me infesting your thread, but here's one I started almost a year ago, and lost the motivation for!

2079859808_IMG20210411192810(1).jpg.d19a3fd5dce5e57c9521083de6ce495f.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I start in the same way, interestingly enough, but don't use glazes at all.  Hope you don't mind me infesting your thread, but here's one I started almost a year ago, and lost the motivation for!

2079859808_IMG20210411192810(1).jpg.d19a3fd5dce5e57c9521083de6ce495f.jpg

I don't mind at all. So please feel free to post anything you like here.

That's a really strong start. I can already see how this would play out. You never know, one day it might just find its way onto your easel.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't look it out of the window, but it sure feels like Christmas day to me. As these bad boys just arrive and a few lengths of track. Can't believe how big they are compared to 4mm. Looking forward to getting stuck into weathering this little lot.

014a.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gedward changed the title to The Bovey Saga
  • RMweb Premium

Very nice look forward to more of this working in a larger scale is a good challenge.

What did you use for the build?

There are any amount of large scale building dioramas out there that I find inspiring and make me push my self to find a solution to the question 'how was that done...'

Edited by John Besley
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, John Besley said:

What did you use for the build?

Thanks John. The main structure is made from polystyrene sheet, not the light foam board, but the solid type. I bought a bundle of different sizes to try out. This one is 2mm and I've doubled up to give it more strength. The bricks are moulded in dental plaster. Cut out individually and then carved after laying.

The rendering is also made from dental plaster. The door and framework is all made from lime wood strips.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ade.

Yep, I did a number of material tests back in 2019 before starting on Bovey Tor. I never really got on with Das clay. I now use a couple of different plasters. From basic casting plaster (plaster of Paris) to Crystalcast dental plaster. Which is the hardest of them all. There is probably a better shelf life with these plasters as they come sealed in a bucket.

Edited by Gedward
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I've used exterior grade polyfilla for all my brickwork and concrete rendered walls on Exhill.

Carving the bricks in with a tool (4" round wire nail)

On rendered walls  adding additional layers of filler over the first coat of render to give it that worn old plaster effect as this tends to lift part of the surface as it bonds itself 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4