RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

I was just investigating the new tender connection set up. 
Mine is working fine, I was just exploring in case I want to couple them more closely in future. Thought I would post some pics in case helpful, and in case anyone one else already made any modifications.

This is the gap as it stands on the straight and the view from the underside. Fortunately the gap does not open up much on the straight with 10 coaches behind, only around curves. 

467C8524-B2D7-432E-A89D-94630C4F4F30.jpeg

F762FEAE-B3AB-46E3-BA47-261A9A3FA25D.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

And likewise for the tender coupling retaining plate.

Actually the photo of the top of the tender chassis is from the Flying Scotsman Dublo 103, but I think it is the same set up. 

CB493445-EF0C-42F2-8243-78BDAF50CD76.jpeg

3155EDD5-8120-4608-A2D0-81C60FB55761.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

Those trailing wheels gave me a bit of a turn. 😱 Hornby told me that all Pacifics would be supplied with flanged trailing wheels but I wonder if they can rotate and have a little sideplay. On the subject of wheels, it looks as if Gannet’s wheels are painted. If so, that is another step forward. I always thought that the unpainted wheels on older models let them down.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone received one yet I am wondering if Hornby have the LNER on the tender at the correct height i.e. in line with the cab numbers? The original set had the LNER in the centre of the tender like BR logo but was out of alignment with cab numbers and was incorrect. Images are on website but not sure if they are the actual models?

4 minutes ago, shunny said:

Has anyone received one yet I am wondering if Hornby have the LNER on the tender at the correct height i.e. in line with the cab numbers? The original set had the LNER in the centre of the tender like BR logo but was out of alignment with cab numbers and was incorrect. Images are on website but not sure if they are the actual models?

I have a DPD notification for Mallard, should be with me tomorrow!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like 60007 turned to dust, 60009 not far behind.

The rest look easy enough to find.

Have to admit these two are my favourites, 60007 has been BR Blue for two decades now, never quite liked it in garter blue without valances… 60009… apart from a few years as Osprey, and 60027 Merlin its been unchanged BR Green in 70 years.

Edited by adb968008

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like 60007 turned to dust, 60009 not far behind.

The rest look easy enough to find.

Has 60009 actually sold out now? It hadn't a week or two ago. I originally ordered Mallard, SNG and UOSA but cancelled UOSA as it was getting a bit too expensive a job and I couldn't see myself needing 2 A4s for heritage tours. SNG won out though as I don't have a BR blue steam loco, have a few BR green ones.

I got Mallard just because it was my favourite loco as a kid and have been waiting for a special model of it since I got back into the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

The pictures on the individual product pages of the LNER ones look like the actual models to me, as they have the new loco to tender coupling, and other features of the previous Dublo A4 I  have.

Sorry about the screen shot, I couldn’t get the link to work.

IMG_5146.png.55dd5c4379f15b7a69a3c255d7b2b976.pngThere is an another picture 3 to the right that shows it on an actual layout. 

Edited by Dominion
Adding reference to model on layout

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Has 60009 actually sold out now? It hadn't a week or two ago. I originally ordered Mallard, SNG and UOSA but cancelled UOSA as it was getting a bit too expensive a job and I couldn't see myself needing 2 A4s for heritage tours. SNG won out though as I don't have a BR blue steam loco, have a few BR green ones.

I got Mallard just because it was my favourite loco as a kid and have been waiting for a special model of it since I got back into the hobby.

I did exactly the same.

60007 as its here and now, and looks the business.

60009 I’m keen on.

4464 because I did one of its 90 mph runs.

FC81351A-13BF-46D3-B4BC-318FE8425464.jpeg.ebcbd05406df80e961730617c64ec330.jpeg

However ive got the GG A4’s from first time around, and ultimately this isnt an upgrade, its just a metal body, which tbh I prefer the Dapol one. So ive kept my GG 60009 / 4464… i cant believe its 10 years ago already.

I hope 60007’s problems aren't too serious, but two damaged cylinders in 6 months on two LSL locos doesnt look good.

Still 4464 looked better in 2013 than it did when I saw it in 2003.

CCADB9A9-C60C-40DF-A366-2FD6991BE793.jpeg.b0743548c33ff6da29b286da1da70d58.jpeg

AB18C75C-47F5-412C-8521-B8878D852BD3.jpeg.66ec199e96dee064e9aefe574fb5ba35.jpeg
interestingly both times ive seen it, it was parked next to a foreignor.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

On 04/12/2023 at 23:32, Dominion said:

The pictures on the individual product pages of the LNER ones look like the actual models to me, as they have the new loco to tender coupling, and other features of the previous Dublo A4 I  have.

Sorry about the screen shot, I couldn’t get the link to work.

IMG_5146.png.55dd5c4379f15b7a69a3c255d7b2b976.pngThere is an another picture 3 to the right that shows it on an actual layout. 

On 04/12/2023 at 22:33, shunny said:

Has anyone seen one the actual  "Coronation" models.  I am asking because I would like to know if the "L N E R"  and the cabside numbers are raised (as per ooriginal) or just flat overprints on the basic colour.  I have some suitable s/s lettering -  any ideas on the best way to remove the Hornby applied ones?  Threee ideas that have are a) just stick them over the Hornby letztering;  b) try and remve the Hornby lettering before - how?   or c) repaint the tender and cab sides first.

By the way, am I right in thinking the the coats of arms were only applied in BR days?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received an email today saying Sir Nigel Gresely was in stock and ready for dispatch, but I need to update payment details since my card has changed since pre-ordering. Checked their website and showing in stock as well:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/Hornby-dublo-br-class-a4-4-6-2-60007-sir-nigel-gresley-great-gathering-10th-anniversary-era-10-r30266?

I'm actually thinking of not going for it, as I'm really not sure if I want it anymore (definitely don't need it anyway) and I also have Union of South Africa on pre-order which is a model I have been after for a long time.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 11:55, GeoffBird said:

Has anyone seen one the actual  "Coronation" models.  I am asking because I would like to know if the "L N E R"  and the cabside numbers are raised (as per ooriginal) or just flat overprints on the basic colour.  I have some suitable s/s lettering -  any ideas on the best way to remove the Hornby applied ones?  Threee ideas that have are a) just stick them over the Hornby letztering;  b) try and remve the Hornby lettering before - how?   or c) repaint the tender and cab sides first.

By the way, am I right in thinking the the coats of arms were only applied in BR days?

Re the first paragraph.

You would be very lucky to get the correct shade of paint, patch painting rarely looks good, no idea re lettering sizes , you can remove them by very gently stroking a No 10 Swann Morton Blade over the lettering/numbers again try on a old Loco first. These are £300 + Locos not a good idea to try any of what you suggest without previous experience.

Second paragraph.

BR removed them, not the LNER.

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

Checked their website and showing in stock as well

Interesting, given they were completely out for a while.

I got my notification too, I wonder if I'll see it before Christmas. I'm sure Mallard took about a week from payment to arrival.

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

Received an email today saying Sir Nigel Gresely was in stock and ready for dispatch, but I need to update payment details since my card has changed since pre-ordering. Checked their website and showing in stock as well:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/Hornby-dublo-br-class-a4-4-6-2-60007-sir-nigel-gresley-great-gathering-10th-anniversary-era-10-r30266?

I'm actually thinking of not going for it, as I'm really not sure if I want it anymore (definitely don't need it anyway) and I also have Union of South Africa on pre-order which is a model I have been after for a long time.

thanks, Richy59 

I had given up hope of getting 60007. I've just ordered one from Hornby 

9 hours ago, Richy59 said:

Hornby's website is showing 60007 is already down to 'Last Few' so must be selling fast.

Edit: Maybe not...

It will only let me put 10 in my basket, however...

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They seem to be learning someone elses style of marketing.

That could definitely be the case. FOMO is a big draw!