RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Yes but mine is the same loco as his, Union of South Africa.

So is mine (though the number iff the front is missing !)

CDAB399F-F671-465A-959D-A773788C2E12.jpeg

D16479EB-FDB0-46F5-BB36-EA2317D91F83.jpeg

Retailer indicates they can do a replacement, so its going to be heading back for a swap.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I decided to fit the brake rodding on my blue Sir Nigel Gresley and found it wouldn't fit properly back into plastic "ice block". Has anyone else had this issue. Trouble is the front vacuum pipe falls off if you are not careful.

2 hours ago, ColinB said:

I decided to fit the brake rodding on my blue Sir Nigel Gresley and found it wouldn't fit properly back into plastic "ice block". Has anyone else had this issue. Trouble is the front vacuum pipe falls off if you are not careful.

Colin,

I don't think the packaging is designed to accommodate brake rigging, which is the reason it's supplied as an accessory part.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

21 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Colin,

I don't think the packaging is designed to accommodate brake rigging, which is the reason it supplied as an accessory part.

I came that same conclusion, bit of an oversight thought.

• Like 2

I just checked my green HD Sir Nigel Gresley that I bought about 6 months to a year ago, do you know it fits with the brake rodding. Now explain that to me, change the outer packaging I can understand but the thing the loco sits in, it is the same loco for goodness sake. I can only guess they changed it to add more support.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I just checked my green HD Sir Nigel Gresley that I bought about 6 months to a year ago, do you know it fits with the brake rodding. Now explain that to me, change the outer packaging I can understand but the thing the loco sits in, it is the same loco for goodness sake. I can only guess they changed it to add more support.

The change to packaging could very well be the reason for the QC issues on the new HD releases.

According to the two outlets who supplied me with R30263, this is the primary cause.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The change to packaging could very well be the reason for the QC issues on the new HD releases.

According to the two outlets who supplied me with R30263, this is the primary cause.

That is even more ridiculous. So you have packaging that works ok and then change it and it doesn't. Looking at the two sets the new one has a raised section just below the front bogie the old one doesn't. The only reason I fitted the rodding was it was getting damaged in the plastic bag every time you slide the plastic cover forward because the space is not big enough.

I did notice as well that they have stopped wrapping the inner box in bubble wrap to stop it moving inside the outer box, this is exactly what they did wrong on the W1. They saved money on the bubble wrap but damaged a fair few £300 locos.

Edited by ColinB
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

That is even more ridiculous. So you have packaging that works ok and then change it and it doesn't. Looking at the two sets the new one has a raised section just below the front bogie the old one doesn't. The only reason I fitted the rodding was it was getting damaged in the plastic bag every time you slide the plastic cover forward because the space is not big enough.

I did notice as well that they have stopped wrapping the inner box in bubble wrap to stop it moving inside the outer box, this is exactly what they did wrong on the W1. They saved money on the bubble wrap but damaged a fair few £300 locos.

In contrast to the 2022 HD Sir Nigel Gresley, which arrived last year in perfect condition with no issues!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

In contrast to the 2022 HD Sir Nigel Gresley, which arrived last year in perfect condition with no issues!

Ive not seen any complaints on 60007/8 either.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2024 at 12:15, GreatWesternFan220 said:

It has come to my attention that Hornby have fitted the LNER style speedometer to all of the Great Gathering locos (except Mallard as that is appropriate for it's preserved form) and 60030 "Golden Fleece". I discovered this while scrutinizing the pictures from retailers such as Rails, TMC and Kernow to satisfy my own curiosity as Hornby's own pictures are all taken showing the driver's side of the loco. I am quite certain that none of the preserved locos (except for Mallard again) are fitted with this particular speedometer but have the later BR style one on the driver's side (except for 4489) and same can be said for 60030. They have also done a similar thing with the 85th anniversary Mallard model where the loco is fitted with the inauthentic BR style speedometer on the driver's side when it's depicted in it's 1938 guise with the correct LNER speedometer. A small detail to get hung up on but as they say, "Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it". I believe the LNER style speedo might be authentic for 4490 and 4491 as well but do correct me if not. Apologies if this has been brought up previously.

Am I correct in saying that this is the BR type speedo?

IMG_2515.jpeg.a9a0f5775bc4cd4ca23d179be5860939.jpeg

Furthermore the cable seems to flex in a way that doesn’t inspire confidence in its longevity. Is this correct?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/023C0cJ8CwEPEmg43jT4tTgfw

On 06/01/2024 at 12:15, GreatWesternFan220 said:

It has come to my attention that Hornby have fitted the LNER style speedometer to all of the Great Gathering locos (except Mallard as that is appropriate for it's preserved form) and 60030 "Golden Fleece". I discovered this while scrutinizing the pictures from retailers such as Rails, TMC and Kernow to satisfy my own curiosity as Hornby's own pictures are all taken showing the driver's side of the loco. I am quite certain that none of the preserved locos (except for Mallard again) are fitted with this particular speedometer but have the later BR style one on the driver's side (except for 4489) and same can be said for 60030. They have also done a similar thing with the 85th anniversary Mallard model where the loco is fitted with the inauthentic BR style speedometer on the driver's side when it's depicted in it's 1938 guise with the correct LNER speedometer. A small detail to get hung up on but as they say, "Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it". I believe the LNER style speedo might be authentic for 4490 and 4491 as well but do correct me if not. Apologies if this has been brought up previously.

The LNER speedo was removed from locos as they went into the BR period. There are photos of 60012 with this still in place. I've seen no other example with this in prototype photos. Certainly no preserved example includes the LNER speedo

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2024 at 22:37, E100 said:

Furthermore the cable seems to flex in a way that doesn’t inspire confidence in its longevity. Is this correct?

Just to bump this just checking the cable is correct - just seems to flex a bit more than I was expecting?

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, E100 said:

Just to bump this just checking the cable is correct - just seems to flex a bit more than I was expecting?

The rivet at the return crank end should be directly over the wheel centre, which it certainly isn't.

When properly adjusted, there should be no movement of the return crank end, and no flexing of the cable.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The rivet at the return crank end should be directly over the wheel centre, which it certainly isn't.

When properly adjusted, there should be no movement of the return crank end, and no flexing of the cable.

CJI.

Thanks. That's what I was expecting. Without taking it out the box right now I presume it's a case of adjusting the crank through loosening the main nut assuming of course that the crank is the correct length! 

I will have a look later. 

• RMweb Premium

So had a chance just now to have a quick look. I've unscrewed this using a con rod nut spanner and re assembled.

It appears that as you say @cctransuk there was a misaligned crank so it wasn't pointing directly at the centre, however even after correctly adjusting this to lie over the centre of the wheel there is still some eccentricity.  I then tried to see if there was any chance of sliding this by backing the nut off and retightening and whilst there is a small amount of adjustment it's no where near what's required. The final element I've looked at was to see if it had got bent towards the wheel (flattened), which from the side in 2D would have the effect of lengthening the crank. Again I've bent this a little bit to look more correct by bringing the speedo mounts in line from a plan view perspective but it's still not centred on the wheel where it should be.  It therefore appears that the crank is slightly oversized by a few mm causing this cable to flex on every rotation due to the eccentricity.

Is this just me or do others have an issue with this as well. If it's just me I will contact Hornby (and will do in any case to highlight this issue) but otherwise the model is absolutely spot on with very nicely applied 'smokebox' number plate etc so will accept it reluctantly rather than end up with a more obvious defect.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, E100 said:

So had a chance just now to have a quick look. I've unscrewed this using a con rod nut spanner and re assembled.

It appears that as you say @cctransuk there was a misaligned crank so it wasn't pointing directly at the centre, however even after correctly adjusting this to lie over the centre of the wheel there is still some eccentricity.  I then tried to see if there was any chance of sliding this by backing the nut off and retightening and whilst there is a small amount of adjustment it's no where near what's required. The final element I've looked at was to see if it had got bent towards the wheel (flattened), which from the side in 2D would have the effect of lengthening the crank. Again I've bent this a little bit to look more correct by bringing the speedo mounts in line from a plan view perspective but it's still not centred on the wheel where it should be.  It therefore appears that the crank is slightly oversized by a few mm causing this cable to flex on every rotation due to the eccentricity.

Is this just me or do others have an issue with this as well. If it's just me I will contact Hornby (and will do in any case to highlight this issue) but otherwise the model is absolutely spot on with very nicely applied 'smokebox' number plate etc so will accept it reluctantly rather than end up with a more obvious defect.

If the return crank fixing to the crankpin is a rectangular slot, fitting over a rectangular projection on the crankpin, you could - CAREFULLY :-

i] lengthen the return crank slot with a needle file so as to enable the rivet to be over the wheel centre;

or

ii] shorten the rectangular projection on the crankpin with a needle file, in order to achieve the same result.

Depends how brave you are!

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If the return crank fixing to the crankpin is a rectangular slot, fitting over a rectangular projection on the crankpin, you could - CAREFULLY :-

i] lengthen the return crank slot with a needle file so as to enable the rivet to be over the wheel centre;

or

ii] shorten the rectangular projection on the crankpin with a needle file, in order to achieve the same result.

CJI.

Yes, I'll take another look later and see if it's possible to remove some material though it does feel somewhat brave. Part of the issue with that suggestion would be the bend outwards would also require moving due to the size of the nut but would granted have a greater impact than the bend anyway so is worth a look still.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

or

CJI.

One of my pet peeves is how the Walschaerts return crank often leans the wrong way on one side of Hornby locos. However, the rectangular slot is a friction fit inside the rest of the crankpin, and it's possible to CAREFULLY push the return crank to correct the angle. I know @LNER4479 has done this with needle pliers, I prefer to use my thumb! (perks of small hands) I don't know for sure if the speedo crank is similar, but it might be possible to just push it into place.

Just to bring my 60009 story to a close - the model was returned to Hornby and they weren't able to fix it and had run out of stock. The Bluebell shop refunded it today (very good service as usual, pre-ordered a couple of Rapido O1's). Hornby think there is a batch that may have been dropped...

Managed to get Dominion of Canada from Derails, which has absolutely no problems at all. Will go well with the Coronation coaches when they arrive.

Regards,

Dan

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Dan Hamblin said:

Just to bring my 60009 story to a close - the model was returned to Hornby and they weren't able to fix it and had run out of stock. The Bluebell shop refunded it today (very good service as usual, pre-ordered a couple of Rapido O1's). Hornby think there is a batch that may have been dropped...

Managed to get Dominion of Canada from Derails, which has absolutely no problems at all. Will go well with the Coronation coaches when they arrive.

Regards,

Dan

A similar experience to yourself Dan.

I returned two 60009 Union of SA models from two separate sources with identical defects. 

The same response from Hornby as yourself, no spare parts and they were unable to repair the locos concerned.

I cut my losses and am really glad I did, as I've received a perfect and free from defect 60008 Dwight D Eisenhower!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a Dwight D Eisenhower from Jadlam at a really competitive price. What a wonderful model and runner. I don't know if it is the extra weight but it even glides over the areas of my track where other locos stall. That is using an Dapol Infineon decoder which normally don't run that well in steam locos. I did wonder if there would be something wrong with it but as far as I can see it is perfect.

• Like 2