RMweb

Hornby City of Salford R3856 issue

Michaelaface

Hi all, I have an issue with my Hornby City of Salford R3856 and I was wondering if anyone on here can help me diagnose and solve the problem

the loco arrived with multiple issues and its already been sent back and returned from Hornby, but still has, at least that seem to me, fairly severe mechanical problems, where the front two driving wheels move so much that they catch on each other when running, thus creating a significant wobble and poor slow running

here is a video that hopefully should show exactly what I mean

thanks
Michaela

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Michaelaface said:

So I’ve just had this loco back from Hornby for the second time and it still runs exactly the same, am I missing something or are they just not fixing my loco?

This is precisely why I'm now extremely selective with regards to Hornby products.

Having had a similar experience with H, the item purchased if faulty is returned for a full refund.

This is the only way QC will improve.

After all, these models are not exactly being given away and when you look at some new manufacturers, the customer experience from Hornby leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Seems to me like the wheels are not properly square on the axles. Try a back-to-back gauge at various points in the wheel revolution - I suspect the distances will be all over the place (fraction of a mm but should be noticable if you use calipers).

Or you could have some misshapen wheel centres. Either way, Hornby should be replacing the wheel sets if you sent it for repair. However your best bet now might be to return for a full refund and buy another (hopefully better) one.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1

On 23/02/2022 at 22:27, sjp23480 said:

Have you run the loco on your layout? 

I have a number of RTR locos that run like this on the rolling road, but run on the layout just fine.  

May be I should have sent them back too!

That's how I discovered the problem, the flanges on the driving wheels clip each other as they rotate, which also causes them to catch on various detail parts to the point where the loco would stall

On 23/02/2022 at 21:39, G-BOAF said:

Seems to me like the wheels are not properly square on the axles. Try a back-to-back gauge at various points in the wheel revolution - I suspect the distances will be all over the place (fraction of a mm but should be noticable if you use calipers).

Or you could have some misshapen wheel centres. Either way, Hornby should be replacing the wheel sets if you sent it for repair. However your best bet now might be to return for a full refund and buy another (hopefully better) one.

they said they replaced the wheel set on the last return, which makes me think its not the wheel set that's the issue, and sadly I don't think I need a back to back gauge to confirm that :laugh:

On 23/02/2022 at 16:39, woodenhead said:

Maybe this is the first in a new range of inspired by models, in this case an Ealing comedy.

As others have said, I'd ask for your money back if it is no better than it was.

I don't think I can at this point, got the loco via amazon (first mistake) and they say its too late to return now, which is why I tried to get it repaired via Hornby instead

On 23/02/2022 at 16:27, Rowsley17D said:

The bearings look shot. You need a full refund. I'd also send a copy of the video to:

technicalservices.uk@Hornby.com

I'll give this a shot and see what happens 

If they replaced the wheels already the bearings will be new. Hornby spare wheels come ready fitted with bearings as they need to be quartered when the second wheel is fitted. Could be a batch of bad wheels? Or damage/wear or poor casting of the chassis block but i cant imagine it is this. You can check if the keeper plate is removed. Are the bearings snug in the chassis casting?

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

If they replaced the wheels already the bearings will be new. Hornby spare wheels come ready fitted with bearings as they need to be quartered when the second wheel is fitted. Could be a batch of bad wheels? Or damage/wear or poor casting of the chassis block but i cant imagine it is this. You can check if the keeper plate is removed. Are the bearings snug in the chassis casting?

There is a blog post by @Silver Sidelines dating from  when these were first released that demonstrated inaccuracies in the casting of the chassis block that led to the front drivers not being square to the rail.  I've 3 of these first models myself and I did return my first example (46256) because of a very wobbly rear driver. Not encountered the ill fitting driving wheel problem but then my track standards are such any inaccuracy is probably cancelled out anyway!

The centre driven axle on the Hornby chassis - both previous and current version has a fair amount of 'play' in it so there isnt much room for error before the flanges meet as on @Michaelaface s example. I fear a new chassis block might be the solution here unfortunately - can be found on ebay for between £50 (spares or repair) to around £100 for a complete working one. 'Good news' if you can call it that is that these models are pretty easy to work on once you've bitten the bullet so you may be able to correct Hornby's shonky manufacturing standards using spare parts and experimentation. Nothing to lose and you can't really make it worse than it already is. Good luck. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

the centre wheel looks like the quartering is off to me.

its waddling all over, and moving the Wheel skate as well.

The outer two seem in sync, but I note the speedo cable is wobbling too (its not meant to move at all, just rotate around its pinion), but I dont know if thats an indicator, or an impact from the centre wheel or if all their models are like that).

are you able to stop the loco with rods down at the bottom / with a spoke 180 degree vertical on one side, and take pictures of the driving wheels on both sides without lifting it ?.. the otherside rods / pinions should be 90 degree horizontal. If ones out and youve not manually handled it you may be able to see which wheel is off quartering if it stops naturally.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I note the speedo cable is wobbling too (its not meant to move at all, just rotate around its pinion), but I dont know if thats an indicator, or an impact from the centre wheel or if all their models are like that).

Agree the speedo is meant to be static but most of my Hornby locos with this representation of the speedo have similar degrees of movement.  It eventually snaps at which point I usually fit a static substitute not attached to the crank pin.  

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/06/2023 at 12:48, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree the speedo is meant to be static but most of my Hornby locos with this representation of the speedo have similar degrees of movement.  It eventually snaps at which point I usually fit a static substitute not attached to the crank pin.  

Mike,  can you explain this if you have a picture, would like to see how it looks,  thanks.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Mike,  can you explain this if you have a picture, would like to see how it looks,  thanks.

Going to be tricky at the moment as the layout is in the midst of rebuilding - essentially there is ‘bus replacement service’  in the attic!