Hornby APT-P 1980’s General Discussion Including HST Style Repaint

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

I’ll start this with some observations I’ve made while cutting and shutting cars to make intermediate ones that were not made by Hornby.

Here’s a thing, it seems like the DTS and TBF’s were designed by different teams. There are key differences predominantly between the way the top mouldings are constructed which also impacts on the seating units.

The DTS is much more flimsy compared to the TBF - ribs behind the window strips have no reinforcement running into the roof and not all of them are continuous top to bottom, unlike the DTS. This means that the seating cannot be swapped from one to the other without cutting back the vestibule ends on the second class castings when say using a TBF top to make a TS centre car.

It just struck me as odd that they would be designed in this way.

I’m currently making a Dev coach, details on my blog starting here: 

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RedgateModels changed the title to Hornby APT-P 1980’s General Discussion
  • RMweb Gold

I did post about my APT in the new Hornby topic about a year ago but here are some of the photos.

It hadnt been out of its box for some decades after being stored in the loft. It now resides in the shed where the temperature is not so harsh.

I fitted some old decoders that I had lying around to both the motor and to each cab to work LED head and tail lights

20210106_120133.jpg.4aee1335e4fa63c31b8c14f3185ed7fe.jpg20210107_142221.jpg.97810bf42732e5ef299ed2b990140651.jpg

A short video of it in action on the High Line test circuit.

I do have a few spare coaches somewhere . When I find them I may well do the cut and shut for an intermediate coach.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks good doesn’t it :)

wish I had a test track like that to run mine. I now have a TRBS, TF and the Dev coach, so an 8 car set so far. When I can get hold of a pair of DTS cheap I’ll make a TS.

Oh, and there’s this

DSC_0039.JPG.89ee76d6dfe88088fa2dfc2094596669.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just bought some more spares from eBay, two DTS’ to make a TS someday. There’s an ndm shell and a few other bits and bobs. One DTS is missing its half bogie but I have a spare waiting :)

There’s various bits and bobs of cut and shuts in my modelling blog, but here’s a few pics of what I have so far

DSC_0026.JPG.a0737be850a87b542a4884904e01a718.JPG

dev coach

DSC_0031.JPG.2a3d74cd4dbde75df83e51669379284d.JPG

TF - this one has moved on since, windows have been fitted etc

DSC_0030.JPG.b3b3ff6cf7a6bb8cb844c121f46362a5.JPG

TRBS, did this about 2 years ago I think

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, Peter749 said:

Did you swap the Wheelsets and if so what have you used?

Thanks

Peter

still using the stock ones. I do have loads of the wheels from the driving ends though which are better than the others. I might swap them out

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So,

call me mad, but Rapido's recent application of Intercity Blue/Grey on their APT-E has got me thinking  - what about the APT-P?

Not withstanding a lot of masking as the P was designed with the join lines where the Intercity Exec livery changes colour - different to any B/G scheme, I have two things to ponder;

1. The switch from yellow/blue to blue/grey would happen pretty soon after the driving cab, but what about the power cars? should I switch back to grey/blue? This works better in my mind as then the BR logo/Intercity APT would be in white on blue - very corporate BR (and available from Fox)
  2. When BR applied the APT version of Exec livery they departed from the HST style by having light grey underframes and roofs not black. So in my mad world would the underframes and maybe roofs be Rail Blue or stick to black (like wot Rapido did with the E-Train) ????

You know I will end up picking up a battered old set and have to get the paints out .....

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As an update on this, I've secured a very cheap, if battered set so as soon as it arrives I'll be looking to get some paint.

Still not sure about the details of the colour scheme. IF I switch the blue/grey back to grey/blue/grey for the power car then the set will have to have black roofs (and underframes), can't see it working with a grey roof on the power car and blue on the rest .... My main driver for doing the power cars with a central blue stripe is that the Fox white transfers will work - Getting some black versions might be tricky!

The diagonals on the DTS's won't work as per the HST either, the grilles were made to follow the slanted stripes on the sides which go the opposite way to the slants on the stripes of a HST.

I've got a few spare bits from making centre coaches so will do a couple of mock ups so I can decide.....

• RMweb Gold

Well, after examining the set all I can say is it's a good job I'm repainting it LOL. Someone has put some effort into painting the interiors though. Might keep them, or might dump them in paint stripper ...

Anyway, paints ordered from Gaugemaster and where is that Tamiya tape ......

• RMweb Gold

OK,

done some mock-ups in Paint - thanks to APT.com for the original images

InterCityAPT.jpg.2e4580a78eeb898bdfbb9692319410c7.jpg

1 - following the original APT angles etc but with HST colours. Centre grey carried through to the power car

2 - as above but blue/grey reversed at the power car/TBF end

3 - Cab end colours angled as per HST, blue/grey reversed at power car

4 - As above with centre grey carried through to power car

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards 2 at the moment

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

OK,

1 - following the original APT angles etc but with HST colours. Centre grey carried through to the power car

I'm with you.

Grey was for passenger carrying portions & also the guards area, so blue makes sense for the NDMs, so 2 & 3.

The vents at the end compliment the yellow & grey angles for 1 & 2.

Another option would be to get rid of the grey lower section on the NDMs because these would effectively carry loco livery. I like the lower grey sides, but it doesn't seem consistent with anything else, or are you just trying to hide the join between body & base?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Another option would be to get rid of the grey lower section on the NDMs because these would effectively carry loco livery. I like the lower grey sides, but it doesn't seem consistent with anything else, or are you just trying to hide the join between body & base?

It's carrying through the same window width from the passenger compartments. In reality the blue below the windows will carry on up onto the lower edge of the window strips, making the white lining around the grey the same width as that above the windows. There will be two body joint lines in the blue section sadly, but I can live with this. There will be visible blue above and below the windows. I'll have a look to see how the power car etc looks with just blue.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

OK,

I’m “leaning” towards 2 as well. Counterchanging the colours on the NDMs produces a very attractive result. I like the grey band at the bottom because I think it provides continuity. Following the APT angles suits the layout of the train better. Whilst I’m not a great fan of “what ifs”, I find 2 a very satisfying livery, Thank you for sharing.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, Option 5 with an all blue NDM with added orange cant rail stripe on NDM and DTS

InterCityAPT.jpg.0186f82c20978d242247ed5eddf87aa3.jpg

I've also took out all the white around the window grey bands as they were too thick and distracting.  I like it a lot 😃

I have a couple of spare NDM shells, so could do both!

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

so, 5 cars together for the full effect ....

InterCityAPT.jpg.371abd88349891a57b788d1f73f0fe40.jpg

Still like option 5 best 😃 (thanks Pete)

For the little it’s worth, I still prefer 2 but perhaps with the cantrail stripe added, though 5 is not bad at all. One suggestion, if I may. What about changing the slope of the blue-grey divide on the coach to the right of the NDM to match the slope of the divide on the nose on the right-hand end? \\ // Instead of \\\ /, if you follow me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

For the little it’s worth, I still prefer 2 but perhaps with the cantrail stripe added, though 5 is not bad at all. One suggestion, if I may. What about changing the slope of the blue-grey divide on the coach to the right of the NDM to match the slope of the divide on the nose on the right-hand end? \\ // Instead of \\\ /, if you follow me.

Basically that's how the real APT livery works and on the Hornby version the window strips are separate so the grey diagonal is part of the shell moulding. It would look terrible with a blue band going left to right over the plastic going right to left.

https://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

Really good, I like option 5 - it needs a BR double arrow. Wonder what 2 would look like if the NDM and coach ends had a yellow lower stripe rather than grey.

Arrow of indecision goes the other side. I'd drop both logos on each side but you only get 1 set with the Fox sheet 😉 (obviously on the real thing there would be 2 power cars so the BR logo would be visible both sides)

As for the yellow stripe, someone on Facebook suggested the same .... (it would be yellow over the body join though, so would be obvious)

InterCityAPT.jpg.6125a4c2f2bc67fd6e08e2d3d7196010.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1