Hornby APT-P 1980’s General Discussion Including HST Style Repaint

RedgateModels

22 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I've also took out all the white around the window grey bands as they were too thick and distracting.  I like it a lot 😃

I have a couple of spare NDM shells, so could do both!

.... or different versions on each side!

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

I think we have a final 4

182724450_InterCityAPT_Final4.jpg.8d8518c25a2e81873d553fdb307c51f8.jpg

I notice that your diagionals on the passenger cars next to the NDM both slope the same way, rather than corresponding with the driving cab of the respective half-train.  So the train is assymetrical and looks slightly different depending which end is leading.

I like 1 best, but that's just a personal preference.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I notice that your diagonals on the passenger cars next to the NDM both slope the same way, rather than corresponding with the driving cab of the respective half-train.  So the train is asymmetrical and looks slightly different depending which end is leading.

Already mentioned, but this is how the real thing is. As the light grey stripe on the Hornby model is part of the plastic moulding there are joint lines either side. It would look terrible with a rail blue diagonal going the opposite direction over it 😉

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Already mentioned, but this is how the real thing is. As the light grey stripe on the Hornby model is part of the plastic moulding there are joint lines either side. It would look terrible with a rail blue diagonal going the opposite direction over it 😉

I thought that suggestion sounded familiar! 😆

Of the final four, numbering them 1–4, top to bottom, my order of preference would be: 2, 4, 3, 1. The solid block of blue in the middle of the train appeals to me. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Really good, I like option 5 - it needs a BR double arrow. Wonder what 2 would look like if the NDM and coach ends had a yellow lower stripe rather than grey.

Just found these though

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4630

TWO sets of everything so I could have the BR logo plus InterCityAPT on both sides of the NDM ......

• RMweb Gold

I nearly mentioned the out line only font - the Inter-City APT  looks good one that transfer. Personally I think options 3 or 4 work well, I actually like the yellow but could be awkward with the body line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Just found these though

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4630

TWO sets of everything so I could have the BR logo plus InterCityAPT on both sides of the NDM ......

Order placed with @railtec-models for both APT-P sheets last night should have enough for this project and to number up all my cut and shut intermediate coaches for the standard 80's set too 😃🚋🚋🚋🚋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Order placed with @railtec-models for both APT-P sheets last night should have enough for this project and to number up all my cut and shut intermediate coaches for the standard 80's set too 😃🚋🚋🚋🚋

I look forward to seeing the result with more eagerness than anything else Hornby. You might run it on your dining room table and make the family sit on the floor to eat. Your approach is excellent. 😆

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bought one of these too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184787526873

pretty close to the Hornby version, round mounting hole rather than square, but as this power car is missing the plastic mounting for the top of the motor I guess I can make one with a round pin .....

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

@RedgateModels Looking very impressive so far. Is the red stripe a decal and if so how did you manage to keep it so straight? One thing I have always found difficult!

The orange cant rail stripe is HMRS Pressfix rather than waterslide etc. I use a scalpel and steel ruler to cut the backing out dead straight and then use the Mk1 eyeball sighting along the length of the body until I'm happy. Good thing with Pressfix is you can always take it off and try again until it's right. One side is better than the other (of course)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never been able to get on with pressfix, I do however have a finely honed approach with waterslide decals to float them into place then soak up the water from underneath with a painbrush. That helps drop them down in to the desired position where I always found trying to dab them dry with a tissue generally ended with them somewhere else. Often on the tissue...

If you need to reposition you can add a bit more water, refloat, nudge, and so forth. The only caveat is really really small decals which tend to get sucked up onto the brush with the water sometimes. But larger ones you can hold in position while you extract the water with tweezers or something, with smaller ones that often isn't an option.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the power car last night after cleaning up the pan in the ultasonic cleaner, it was noticeable that it has a slight list to one side and the undriven bogie seems to sit lower. Now as supplied this basket case did not have the tilt cam on the bogie so I've attempted to make one. Hopefully it's my handiwork that is at fault so I'll take my childhood version apart and swap over the bogie (or at least remove the tilt cam) to see if that helps.

if the cam slopes on the body are worn I have got spare bodyshells, but will need to paint another lower half blue again!

• RMweb Gold

Looking at my stock NDM last night it seems that "they are all like that Sir", so panic over, looks like my repainted one is OK after all. Still might see about shimming the tilt cam to get it a bit more level ......

Successful test with some Humbrol grey enamel last night too, it is matt so I might have to mask off the windows after all 😬

• Like 1