Hornby APT-P 1980’s General Discussion Including HST Style Repaint

RedgateModels

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quick test tonight with a bit of scrap window strip

DSC_0413.JPG.ce44e9a897629e493287ea22d1107b88.JPG

Pretty successful, ignore the paint finish, I just slapped some white acrylic on with a brush. Think I will touch up the window surrounds before masking on the real thing..... 

Edited by RedgateModels

On 18/10/2022 at 11:02, RedgateModels said:

Some progress. I have produced a window mask that I can print out on sticky labels.

1369623719_APT-P1980WindowMask.jpg.01231f0e6d53bad2b5d1a9c6def03051.jpg

I still have the task of cutting them out though 😲

If anyone want the MS Publisher file then shoot me a PM

Cutting the curved corners will be tricky. Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

The window strips are sprayed. I did have a quick peek under one mask and all seems well. They are staying in place for now until the satin varnish is applied. On that subject transfers have been applied

DSC_0418_2.JPG.45ff3e9f311b6da70abe946ebb7e33cc.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG.e1b9a8cc2740491a34499e1d36087600.JPG

Basically waiting on a delivery from the HMRS for some white lining Pressfix to do the lines around the grey. I did try to mask off the existing white which was variable to say the least. The strip that is fitted in the photo was one of the more successful ones and I could possibly touch up the lines. Others are not so. I'm also going to add the electrification flashes and yellow entrapment warnings over the wheels. 

First class yellow bands and the orange cantrail on the driving ends also to do. 

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

The window strips are sprayed. I did have a quick peek under one mask and all seems well. They are staying in place for now until the satin varnish is applied. On that subject transfers have been applied

DSC_0418_2.JPG.45ff3e9f311b6da70abe946ebb7e33cc.JPG

DSC_0417.JPG.e1b9a8cc2740491a34499e1d36087600.JPG

Basically waiting on a delivery from the HMRS for some white lining Pressfix to do the lines around the grey. I did try to mask off the existing white which was variable to say the least. The strip that is fitted in the photo was one of the more successful ones and I could possibly touch up the lines. Others are not so. I'm also going to add the electrification flashes and yellow entrapment warnings over the wheels. 

First class yellow bands and the orange cantrail on the driving ends also to do. 

Hornby has arranged the rather prominent seam to coincide with the original livery but it’s doubly prominent with an all-yellow nose. Have you by any chance a cunning plan? The re-livery is coming on a treat, though. Cheeky of me to mention it because it is far beyond my ability to do anything like this project.

• RedgateModels changed the title to Hornby APT-P 1980’s General Discussion Including HST Style Repaint
  • RMweb Gold

touching up started on the window strips - dark grey undercoat applied, blue tonight hopefully.

I've also done a test masking up the cant rail raised rib above the cab windows to see if I can paint them in on a scrap DTS shell. Seemed to go OK, which is good.

I tried to use HMRS Pressfix but as the location has a fine raised rib it was impossible to get the lining on straight etc. Paint will suffice.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much done on the APT repaint over Christmas. Did manage to make a foam tray for it from waste packaging and hot glue. Need some red card now to make a slip case for it. I really do need to get the white lining and transfers done on the rest.... 

DSC_0470.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have I completed the lining?

nah, bought some nice red card and made a slip cover for the foam tray. Santa brought SWMBO a portable scanner so a spare APT set end flap was duly fed through

20230115-1627.jpg.5cfedf7fd66fb0317188ac9c2ef6aa2c.jpg

and cleaned up/suitably edited in MS Paint

20230115-1627.png.c0b1785f8d63ab69c45c6fa853ccd730.png

I'll print off a couple and stick them to the end flaps. Also going to cut out a window opening on top and glue an A4 sheet of acetate inside. Should be big enough to show a DTS, TGF the NDM.

Oh and bought a pan off eBay for less than £22 😁

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

made a slip cover for the foam tray

Long after we've shuffled off this earth I can imagine a rabid collector throwing a wobbly with this. 😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, I've been busy after being dragged kicking and screaming (not really, I've been wanting to make the leap for ages 😉) into the world of  3D Design by Matt Jarvis of GMRC fame.

I'm picking up samples of my first prints at this weekend's Mansfield Show of six different APT-P pan bases, most of which are for the 80's version.

First off  (top right) is a copy of the Hornby base so that the cheaper class 86 pan can be fitted (if you can find one on eBay) or replace your broken plastic base - my childhood pan has a cracked boss underneath where it pushes onto the motor mount.

Next I have two versions of a base to allow this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203786926505  to fit to the 80's power car.

one styled on the 80's base (top left) and another on the 2020's base (bottom left)

Then I have two versions of a base that allows the 2020's pans to fit to the 80's power car (either should fit, the Faiveley or the Brecknell Willis derivative), one with 80's style insulators (just plain truncated cones, bottom centre) and another with more realistic insulators like the 2020's version (top centre)

here's a pic of the prototypes

20230226_171952745_iOS.jpg.6494f161142e8f4ff5c66af3cbf2d22d.jpg

Keen eyes will spot the sixth, which is not like the others - it's a base that allows the cheap Chinese pan to fit to the 2020's power car. I know it's HO (but in reality not that much smaller than the Hornby version) and not a true representation of a Faiveley pan. It is however MUCH more robust, my base would break before the pan did.

Anyway, I'm quite excited to get the samples at the weekend and seeing how well they fit etc. I'll post pics once I have them sorted.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1