Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

Some more done of 08561, just waiting for an air horn to arrive which replaces the whistle. Also looking for some suitable buffers for the radiator end as it seemed to have different buffers that end. On the lookout for photos of the cab end of the prototype so I can get the details correct.

08561-13-3-24.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

08561 all but finished now, NRN pod and air horn fitted. Just need to find the correct buffers for the radiator end. So here it is scruffy faded BR blue with EWS branding shunting a scruffy faded HEA wagon in 2006

08561-15-3-24.jpg

• Like 16

A change from fading BR blue 08's and Railfreight red HEA hoppers, i'm in the first stages of doing a faded mainline freight blue HEA in 2006 condition.

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, 37114 said:

That looks terrific Nick.

Thanks Rob, currently working on another HDA a hooded HBA and some HAA's all in grotty 2007 condition, watch this space.

• Like 1

I picked up another EWS 08 for a reasonable price at the MIOG exhibition. Made a start on it's transformation today but can anyone guess its identity?

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, tinsley-toton said:

Nick, are you trying to get it to look like that Nissan Micra with all different coloured body panels that used to be seen around Rhyl ;-)

Ha ha, yes Russ I remember that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I do enjoy seeing all your different takes on the humble 08. How many have you done?

I can't help thinking that you've only got about 980 more to do 😉

It feels like I have done 980! I have probably done about 15 now but I don't keep them all. Dapol are releasing a new batch very soon which will be interesting. I do like all the variants of livery etc, no two are the same.

Edited by Nick G
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nick G said:

no two are the same.

Although I think the positioning of the wasp stripes is pretty uniform.

Dapols original batch were all shifted up quite a bit and I wasn't even convinced they lined up at the top of the nose of mine - they seemed to change direction to my eyes but it might be an illusion around the rad.

They moved them for the short hinge version so I'm hoping we get some long hinge with the corrected wasp stripes this time! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Although I think the positioning of the wasp stripes is pretty uniform.

Dapols original batch were all shifted up quite a bit and I wasn't even convinced they lined up at the top of the nose of mine - they seemed to change direction to my eyes but it might be an illusion around the rad.

They moved them for the short hinge version so I'm hoping we get some long hinge with the corrected wasp stripes this time! 

And the wasp stripes are to thin. I have seen a few correct this and it does make a big difference but is a lot of effort.

Posted (edited)

Hooded HBA wagon in 2007 condition almost finished.       

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HBA-MGR-coal-hopper-with/i-BCFXvZt/A

IMG_5729.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Nick G changed the title to Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Having a change from HEA’s and HAA’s today but still the 2007 theme. An OAA in a bit of a hybrid Railfreight / EWS livery still work in progress.

IMG_5752.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Nick, 

Excellent modelling, I have been a  back seat for a long time, so thought it  about time I made an entrance on RM Web.

Your Cripple Corner layout has been such an inspiration to me to undertake my own 7mm in 7 foot layout and join this forum too !

So thanks for the motivation!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by 7mmin7foot
text
  • Thanks 1

On the workbench this weekend a Dapol HAA with brown cradle. This will become a filthy HMA number 355863 with an EWS and filth cradle. I have already painted the under frame and the cradle ends with frame dirt. The mechanisms for opening the hopper doors are picked out in white and unusually it has one yellow and one red axle box cover. Next step will be weathering the hopper then decals.

IMG_5772.jpg

• Like 6

On 06/04/2024 at 09:33, Nick G said:

Saturday shunt with 08737. Another stunning Photo by Chris Nevard for Model Rail magazine.

230502 Cripple Corner DSC_2860a.jpg

Hi Nick

Thats an awesome photo.

The figure is in a perfect position.

Realism 101. 

Trev

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 21A Desperado said:

Hi Nick

Thats an awesome photo.

The figure is in a perfect position.

Realism 101. 

Trev

Thanks Trev.

Great photo isn't it, one of my favourites.

• Agree 1