Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

On 29/12/2023 at 17:06, Nick G said:

For me there is something special about an 03 shunting HAA coal hoppers, photo inspired by a prototype photo from 1984.

03037-29-12-23a.jpg

This looks fantastic! - the weathering on the 03 is spot on. 

A happy new year to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Georgeham said:

This looks fantastic! - the weathering on the 03 is spot on. 

A happy new year to you!

Thank you, happy new year.

Had a great day yesterday exhibiting at the DEFine modellers day in Risley. I last exhibited there back in 2017 but it has grown in popularity since then. A great relaxed atmoshphere and it was very busy. A visiting 37558 posed on my layout along with my 37425.

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

What does the 424 signify on its nose?

That's it's real number. It was named AVRO VULCAN and carried the numbers 37558 after Avro Vulcan XH558 Spirit of Great Britain which was the last remaining airworthy example.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been looking for some suitable O gauge air pipes to replace some of the iffy pipes fitted to some of the recent wagon releases. These from http://www.westcoastmodels.co.uk seemed ideal, duly ordered a couple of packs and delivery was quick. I have replaced the plastic seemingly overscale pipes on my Dapol HEA's here is the result and a comparison on the West Coast and Dapol pipes. The pipes are available with either left or right hand isolator taps.

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

30 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Vast improvement Nick, I shall go and investigate what else they supply!

Not much in O gauge at the moment Al but he says more stuff to come this year. The pipes are nice though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2024 at 17:12, Nick G said:

Another of my model railways (number 6) in the modelling press and on the front cover. Model Rail Magazine in the shops on Thurday 15th February.

IMG_5331.jpg

Great article Nick, I don't normally buy Model rail but am on hols this week so a bit of extra reading time. Some fantastic photos in the article. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Great article Nick, I don't normally buy Model rail but am on hols this week so a bit of extra reading time. Some fantastic photos in the article. 

Thanks Rob, the quality of the paper in the magazine doesn't really do the photos justice. I will be able to post some of the originals in a few weeks. Better get on with the next layout now!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, 21A Desperado said:

Hi Nick,

I'm a late arrival to your excellent thread, and am watching with interest.

Cheers

Trev

Thanks Trev, new layout build starting soon...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reworked this Heljan 03 into what was D2049. It was sold for industrial use before it gained it's TOPS number. Modifications to the model included adding the extra air horn, painting into a version of NCB blue with faded red bufferbeams. Round buffers as per the prototype were fitted and a good weathering copying from photos. It spent a lot of time working at West Hallam coal screens which my next layout build will be based on. Photo by John Humphries.

53571243165_2d58692c0d_h.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

So the 08 currently on my workbench is 08561. More weathering to do before a coat of matt varnish to seal everything then I need to source an air horn to fit where I have removed the whistle.

IMG_5536.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, sb67 said:

The 08 looks great, did you use a gloss varnish to put the decals on? 

Thanks, it's getting there. I always use either gloss varnish or my dwindling supply of Klear floor polish. I just paint a thin coat on with a brush just in the areas where I am applying the decals.

• Like 1