Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, D6775 said:

Yeah, holding out for sub £400 27's atm amongst other things!

Hattons have D5389 for £398 at the moment and had an unnumbered green with FYE for the same price a few months back. I'm very tempted by the unnumbered blue one for £442, but my finances are taking a bit of a pummelling with other things right now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 19:09, Solo said:

Hattons have D5389 for £398 at the moment and had an unnumbered green with FYE for the same price a few months back. I'm very tempted by the unnumbered blue one for £442, but my finances are taking a bit of a pummelling with other things right now...

Well I was holding out for a BR Blue one with FYE but as Hattons kindly dropped it to £239 earlier today I succumbed!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, D6775 said:

Well I was holding out for a BR Blue one with FYE but as Hattons kindly dropped it to £239 earlier today I succumbed!

That's incredible – I was wondering where they'd got to, as I too had my eye on one. Congratulations!

A little project for the weekend. Transform this second hand Heljan 03 I aquired to a scruffy 03 in industrial use. It's D2049 although doesn't carry the number. Already had it apart to fit a driver, Zimo sound chip, stay alive and speaker. Just noticed I need some round buffers for it! Let the painting begin...

29531928777_ca1bc79308_b.jpgNCB Ex BR Class 03 D2049 - West Hallam Open Cast - 1981. by Martyn Hilbert, on Flickr

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 11

Progress so far on the 03 shunter project. Bodysides repainte in my custom mix of worn blue.Bufferbeams painted in faded red and weathered, couplings removed to be repaced with 3 links as per the prototype. Chimney capping and horns painted red with the extra small horn added. Most of the handrails painted black and chassis had first coat of weathering. Radiator filler pipes removed but brackets left in place. To do: Couplings to fit, round buffer heads to fit. Weather the bodysides and pick out some detail then a coat of matt varnish to seal it all.

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I think the handrails are actually blue, its just that most of the paint has worn off leaving dark metal. Look at the bottom of the cab door handrails.

I am undecided.

Class 03 D2049.jpg

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

Looking good Nick, the weathering on the buffer beam is really well captured.

Thanks Rob, copied the weathering from a photo. Finding round buffer heads is the next hurdle!

22 minutes ago, sb67 said:

The 03 looks superb, was it all brush painted? 

Thanks, yes Steve brush painted with a decent flat brush. Done quite a bit more since the last photo, another photo update later...

• Thanks 1

Just now, sb67 said:

That looks so good! Was it enamels you use, and do you thin the paint at all? 

Yes enamels I can't get on with acrylics. For the blue I use Phoenix Precision not thinned. For the weathering some are thinned for using as a wash in the panel lines.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nick G said:

Yes enamels I can't get on with acrylics. For the blue I use Phoenix Precision not thinned. For the weathering some are thinned for using as a wash in the panel lines.

That's some fine painting 👍

• Thanks 1