Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

I am experimenting with weathering some Dapol HAA's trying to replicate the rubber marks along the sides (not happy yet). These marks are done by the equipment used at some loading points that have tyres on wheels that are used to move the train along through the loader. Photo attached taken at the now long gone loading point at Point of Ayr on the North Wales coast.

IMG_4943.jpg

P1000825.JPG

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Nick G said:

I am experimenting with weathering some Dapol HAA's trying to replicate the rubber marks along the sides (not happy yet). These marks are done by the equipment used at some loading points that have tyres on wheels that are used to move the train along through the loader. Photo attached taken at the now long gone loading point at Point of Ayr on the North Wales coast.

IMG_4943.jpg

P1000825.JPG

The weathering looks pretty good to me Nick, I think the wheels were standard lorry wheels so must have been an interesting job for the local ATS tyre fitter when the tyres needed replacing..

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 37114 said:

The weathering looks pretty good to me Nick, I think the wheels were standard lorry wheels so must have been an interesting job for the local ATS tyre fitter when the tyres needed replacing..

Thanks Rob, I am experimenting with a couple of techniques until I am happy. I wonder how often the tyres wore out and needed replacing? I wonder if I can get someone to 3D print the rollers...

4 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Thanks Rob, I am experimenting with a couple of techniques until I am happy. I wonder how often the tyres wore out and needed replacing? I wonder if I can get someone to 3D print the rollers...

Lynx models do wheels which may be suitable, failing that it could be something @mudmagnet models might be interested in?

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 15:43, 37114 said:

I used to go to gravel pits as part of my job as a hiab driver,and some of those rotating screens used to run on tyres,and those never seemed to wear out.In fact,I suspect that they used to deteriorate ,the sidewalls used to crack due to uv light,faster than they wore out.The tread would still be perfect.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hope everyone had a pleaseant Christmas. I managed a bit of modelling with more to come over the next week. Finished 08814, sound and stay alive fitted and another coal hopper this time a HDA. These are another two items of stock for my West Hallam layout which will be started soon.

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Nick hope you had a good Christmas. Nice work on the class 08 and the HDA hopper.👍

Thanks Kevin, had a good Christmas yes, bit of modelling time now until back to work in the new year. Looking forward to seeing your O gauge plank develop.

• Like 1