Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

Trying to collect and model bits for my next O gauge micro layout. Coming a bit more up to date with a DB/EWS fuel point around 2021. Using photos of Tees Yard, Peal Forest and Immingham fuel points as inspiration. I have noticed most of the fuel points have 20' containers for storage painted in DB red and one at Peal Forest still has it's MSC yellow roof from its previous use. Peak Forest and Imminghan also have a container with a cut away side used I think for the storage of bags of sand for the loco sanders. Anyway here is a work in progress DB red container with it's MSC coloured roof and the next container that I will attempt to cut the side out.

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

• Like 4

It’s interesting the ‘dirty end’ of the loco must’ve had a bit of clean in the pic of the real thing - but the exhaust grime is still so ingrained in the panel lines. You’ve captured that well!

60s usually have one cab roof covered in exhaust and the other much less so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jonas said:

It’s interesting the ‘dirty end’ of the loco must’ve had a bit of clean in the pic of the real thing - but the exhaust grime is still so ingrained in the panel lines. You’ve captured that well!

60s usually have one cab roof covered in exhaust and the other much less so.

The whole loco was reasonably clean, I think it was cleaned and the paint touched up in places if you study photos of the prototype.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick G said:

The whole loco was reasonably clean, I think it was cleaned and the paint touched up in places if you study photos of the prototype.

Oh yeah - certainly under the bodysides grill on the pic posted. Obviously not the roof though! Looking great Nick.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nick G said:

@37114 Here you go Rob, still work in progress. 60065 the only non refurbished 60 in service in 2022. EWS branding removed and DB sticker fitted, numbers faded to white. The first loco for my next project.

The Comeback King?

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

Nice choice Nick, looks really good. This loco is one of my favourites because about 10 years ago I raced it down Tinsley marshaling yard in my Mondeo! I was visiting the warehouse building that was built on the yard and we were driving round the service road at the back.. 60065 was alongside and set off Light engine as I came round the corner so I decided to catch it up, I think I clocked 30mph before I got past!

• Like 2

08702 shunts a YCV Turbot wagon. I don't know why it has a red band around the top but I modelled this from a photo of the prototype . Not sure if this is a unique colour scheme but I haven't come across any photos of any others like this?

IMG_3359.jpg

• Like 10

I was never a huge fan of class 50's but I do like the GBRf livery. 50007 'Hercules' owned by The Class 50 Alliance but available to operate selected GBRf trains on a ‘spot-hire’ basis. 50007 is a bit special as in mid-2021 one side of 50007 was temporarily re-designated as 50034 'Furious' as a thank you to GBRf charter manager Paul Taylor for his prostate cancer charity fundraising efforts. Furious was his favourite class 50.

IMG_4727.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Agree with you re GBRf livery Nick, it looks good on most locos.

Trying to resist the 73 in GBRf that's just been released. Maybe in 6 months when the price has dropped....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Nick G said:

Trying to resist the 73 in GBRf that's just been released. Maybe in 6 months when the price has dropped....

I keep looking at the Intercity ones as they're what I remember when my Dad would take me of to London via the mule for a day. Doesn't really fit with the Scottish fleet, but then neither does 33051 or 58044!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 08:04, D6775 said:

I keep looking at the Intercity ones as they're what I remember when my Dad would take me of to London via the mule for a day. Doesn't really fit with the Scottish fleet, but then neither does 33051 or 58044!

Rule One and invest a back story!!!!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1