OO Gauge GWR Toplight Mainline & City Coaches announced

Free At Last

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Having seen what they are like on here, I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Choccy & Cream set.

Good service from Rails

Was showing as 4 in stock and 2 pre-order but have shipped all 6 today.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Good service from Rails

Was showing as 4 in stock and 2 pre-order but have shipped all 6 today.

I pre-ordered 4, then pre-ordered the missing 2. Just got 2 different shipping notices from Rails. So looks like I might be getting some coaches next week :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al51 said:

Am I right by assuming that if you don't want any lights on at all, you can just remove the blanking plate from under the roof?

Al

Yes, but having done it I'll pass on a couple of tips. The dc blanking plate is difficult to remove as it is recessed into the lighting bar, and needs to be pulled backwards, but you can't get your fingers around the sides and limited space at the end. I used small bent nose pliers to grab the end, pull down slightly to clear the bar and pull along the bar to release.

The roof is easy to unclip but beware, the brake coach needs the handrails releasing. I did this at the roof as they are not glued into the roof. Re clipping the roof is not so easy, as the sides spring out slightly when the roof is removed and part of the roof location is a recessed section at the top of the sides, which locates inside the roof edge. So to replace, the sides need to be gently pushed in at the top while pushing the roof down over it's clips in order that the side top edge locates inside the roof. Best to do this by each pair of clips working along the roof from one end.

Edited by rembrow
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

My first 4 gwr just arrived.. Very, very nice. 

But I have I question the logic to not have included couplings for the non brake ends, and one for the brake end. Might need to investigate some magnetic options..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

My first 4 gwr just arrived.. Very, very nice. 

But I have I question the logic to not have included couplings for the non brake ends, and one for the brake end. Might need to investigate some magnetic options..

I thought they are suppose to have close couplers as per prototype?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I thought they are suppose to have close couplers as per prototype?

I think there's a TL and a short and long coupling bar in the pack.  I'm not able to check ATM unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Tim Dubya said:

I think there's a TL and a short and long coupling bar in the pack.  I'm not able to check ATM unfortunately.

That's what I thought came with them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The BR crimson ones seem particularly suited to 'Rule Number 1' locations.

Guilty as charged, and even in a different region, BR(S) / ex-LSWR branchline in the west country in my case.  I once saw a photo of an ex-Barry Railway brake 2nd (?) on a GW branch in Devon, which inspired me to apply for the license for this one in a similar location. 

I'm tempted to add  I have ordered a composite  😄🤔

IMG_20240222_2016357262.jpg.e6e754f299c2b9c57c6ed973853799a5.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
cheeky photo
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Guilty as charged, and even in a different region, BR(S) / ex-LSWR branchline in the west country in my case.  I once saw a photo of an ex-Barry Railway brake 2nd (?) on a GW branch in Devon, which inspired me to apply for the license for this brake 2nd in a similar location. 

I'm tempted to add  I have ordered a composite  😄🤔

IMG_20240222_2016357262.jpg.e6e754f299c2b9c57c6ed973853799a5.jpg

Sounds like the Hemyock branch, where gaslit coaches were used because speeds were too low and the distance too short for the dynamos to charge the batteries.  ISTR a BPGV. brake 3rd was used at one time, and this stock had a similar loading gauge profike to the Mainline & City coaches.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sjrixon said:

They do.. But connecting more than 2, gets really hard.

I've replaced the between coach couplers with Hunt magnetic straight couplers, ultra close version. The brake end hook couplers are also quite long so have replaced these with Accurascale nem couplings that I had spare, they are shorter.

• Like 2

Hemyock did have the ex-Barry stock, and Paul Karau's Great Western Branch Line Termini (Wild Swan Publications) shows W263 in the charactersitic formation of a single coach plus milk tanks. Apparently, right at the end of the branch's life, some ex-LNER stock was used briefly. It was said that having old stock upcycled to the branch kept open the passenger service that might otherwise have been withdrawn sooner.

aac

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I've replaced the between coach couplers with Hunt magnetic straight couplers, ultra close version. The brake end hook couplers are also quite long so have replaced these with Accurascale nem couplings that I had spare, they are shorter.

Ultra is 3.7mm.. That's close! Measuring the connection, looks to be more like 11mm total distance between the coaches. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Sounds like the Hemyock branch, where gaslit coaches were used because speeds were too low and the distance too short for the dynamos to charge the batteries.  ISTR a BPGV. brake 3rd was used at one time, and this stock had a similar loading gauge profike to the Mainline & City coaches.  

Hemyock branch indeed, thank you. The photo is at Culmstock with a 14xx and the coach.  It's in this £2:99 charity shop find 👍

IMG_20240225_1129508872.jpg.2fd5e0f5986cc41c752baaefffef3e9c.jpg

"..... Consequently, it was still possible on 2 December 1961 to see 0-4-2T No 1451 taking the 1.45pm from Tiverton Junction out of Culmstock towards Hemyock, a scene little changed in 80 years. The return journey will be more profitable for the railway, with five or six loaded milk tanks ahead of the old gaslit Barry Railway coach."

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Hemyock branch indeed,

Must be a candidate for the most published branch in the country?! The Barry coaches were later replaced by Thompsons which Hornby already make (so another similar "rule 1" candidate)

coach.webp.f1e9b7c9e09f92df9a61852410004e22.webp

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Must be a candidate for the most published branch in the country?! The Barry coaches were later replaced by Thompsons which Hornby already make (so another similar "rule 1" candidate)

coach.webp.f1e9b7c9e09f92df9a61852410004e22.webp

That's it. Google "Hemyock LNER coaches" for the evidence.

aac

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Ultra is 3.7mm.. That's close! Measuring the connection, looks to be more like 11mm total distance between the coaches. 

No, the Hunt elite ultra is spec at 7mm from end of nem to front of magnet, making a pair of couplings have 14mm gap. Have checked my remaining spares and 14mm connected gap is correct. They are about 3mm longer than the Dapol provided longest coupler.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

I've replaced the between coach couplers with Hunt magnetic straight couplers, ultra close version. 

As a fan of these couplings any chance of a photo between the two coaches please @rembrow

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, rembrow said:

No, the Hunt elite ultra is spec at 7mm from end of nem to front of magnet, making a pair of couplings have 14mm gap. Have checked my remaining spares and 14mm connected gap is correct. They are about 3mm longer than the Dapol provided longest coupler.

Thanks.. Guess who was on the 009 version! Their website isn't the best..

Edited by sjrixon
  • Agree 1

I have initiated my purchases of these with GWR 3751 today! An amazing model and I look forward to seeing the others. A question, can anyone tell me the eras that each of the six sets would work with please (in particular the GWR ones)?