Smoke units - is there a way to make it black smoke?

Hi

I have just bought two diesel locos with smoke units - hoping to "WOW" them at our next exhibition, but some of my team are disappointed that the smoke is not black.

Is there a way of producing black smoke from a loco - excluding the rather obvious funny response;)

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Flame would be authentic too...

But yes, I don't think stuff like that would be healthy in an enclosed environment!

I'm not in any way joking here or being sarcastic, but my layout is 'exhibition only' so I'm thinking that two locos with smoke running once around for approx 20 seconds (in the scenic section) every 10 minutes or so wouldn't be a problem in a large exhibition hall.

• RMweb Gold

All joking aside, I know i've seen (or should I say smelt) scented smoke, but not coloured smoke. The thing is, I think you might be up against a chemical issue, rather than a practical one. You could try adding some black food dye to the water or oil you're using, but I suspect that as it's a vapour that's being created, the droplets would be so small as to not be able to hold any tint. I stand to be corrected by a proper scientist of course.....

I would be very, very careful.

A few years ago a friend of mine (who is normally so laid back he's horizontal) was in a large exhibition hall for a weekend where there were a couple of G1 meths burners in occasional use. Unbeknown to him it affected his judgement to the point he was involved in a road rage incident driving home, when he got out of his car he had trouble standing & the other driver (thinking he was drunk) called the police. Of course the breath test was negative.

He was almost home so left his car & walked the rest of the way.

Turned out the fumes had a delayed effect on him (well, that was what the doctor said), but he also said that not all people would be effected.

I dread to think of the legal wrangle that would have ensured had they been any form of accident.

5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I'm not in any way joking here or being sarcastic, but my layout is 'exhibition only' so I'm thinking that two locos with smoke running once around for approx 20 seconds (in the scenic section) every 10 minutes or so wouldn't be a problem in a large exhibition hall.

No - live with white smoke, or better still ditch the smoke generators all together, this is A REALLY DUMB IDEA. 

Jon

• Agree 1

I have never seen a smoke generator produce convincing smoke, even in larger scales (live steam would be the exception I suppose, but then they don't use artificial smoke) smoke doesn't scale, like water.

My philosophy is that if you can't model it convincingly then leave it.  Something badly modelled destroys the illusion for spectators and becomes a distraction.

John