BR Dia. 1/227 'VIX' Ferry Van

rapidoandy

I didn't respond to the cute animals but I hadn't realised there was a need to pre order, so I have.  The scare tactics that the kettleistas had pre-ordered more wagons than those of us who model more recent stuff did the trick, especially the veiled threat to kill off any further post steam stuff.  "Order now or the cute modern wagon gets it..."

Nuclear threats work better for me.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Neither the puppies nor any other sales talk worked on me as they are way out of my timescale in the wrong direction.  I can understand a bit of sales resistance because while it is great model of an interesting wagon. to me it rather falls into that 'in-between popular modelling periods' time although it would go very well for the diesel era.

I hope it gets t the required numbers for Rapido's sake and place in the UK market but (BIG hint) my interest is late '50s/very early '60s and if it wasn't around then in the byways and backwoods I don't want one. (yes - 1962 is just that touch too late).  so it won't be joiming various other Rapido wagons already beating their way to my door.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's amazing how many of these wagons I saw as a child through Leyland and at yards like Arpley but can I find a local picture taken by us, no! Instead all I can find are those from holidays down south in the days when they were used as stores vans or awaiting disposal. 

1423210372_brighton03.png.228b26c877be7a0c690ede6550b15fdd.png

665070496_eastleigh12.png.7594d4ff4371b5171755aa4a246a26cc.png

2115324664_tonbridge21.png.1e691798c0f9f5bfd10b58652b7454a5.png

867171_tonbridge23.png.6b5d9ed0b33db1568351ad5a1976f804.png

Then my only clear picture of the foreign versions

115675808_dover01.png.6124b5079cd8b07ea4cb12ef50d9f2d8.png

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to these even although they are 'in between' my two main modelling periods for OO.  However international traffic has a particular interest so I will pretend they lasted longer.  I'd like to see a couple of the more commonly seen foreign types being available in OO too, but that may be a pipe dream!

I think the Ford Palvans were shorter.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2022 at 20:03, Dan Griffin said:

Jon,

here are a couple of my plates. One is GB and the other B. The third one is at dads. 
185C7696-FBF8-483E-BCDC-85B72A220B58.jpeg.d3238606279887041e0e2c6c60d699ca.jpeg

this has been weld repaired at some point in the past. And this one has a higher tonnage than the Pressed steel version below. 

D11DD8E5-30A4-4AE4-9F1A-A40E6ABEC94F.jpeg.b8de9859a5a78149420be97087d84e70.jpeg

this is a favourite one of mine  as its the van Hornby made it the state it was in, whilst it was in the yard. 

4F762344-76D9-4526-A9D8-101FAE32BD54.jpeg.1e86637eb31a48b5bbb3004d95b3a0a1.jpegregards

Dan

Were some uprated at some point?

or built at a higher capacity and Ashford ran out of ‘5’s , as I too have a weld-altered plate.

2CD6EC8E-8C85-4E6C-9C39-72672CDA1706.jpeg

Edited by Chuffed 1
Predictive text

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

I heard these were coming but I missed the order window. Damn!

Davy.

While not exactly in your parish I think it possible that a certain retailer might be able to help as he tends to order sufficient Rapido wagons to allow some being taken into stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Regarding the pre-ordering of this wagon, I see various retailers have them for sale.  Would I need to pre-order with them so they order for their pre-order number or will they just have ordered a certain number for themselves based on waht they think they can sell?  In short, do I need to pre-order this wagon?!

• Agree 1

On 13/10/2022 at 19:40, BR(S) said:

Regarding the pre-ordering of this wagon, I see various retailers have them for sale.  Would I need to pre-order with them so they order for their pre-order number or will they just have ordered a certain number for themselves based on waht they think they can sell?  In short, do I need to pre-order this wagon?!

A shop can pre-order what they think they will sell over a period of X time. for example: I am fairly sure Kernow are confident that they will sell SECR wagons, so holding a big stock is not an issue. 

On 13/10/2022 at 18:40, BR(S) said:

Regarding the pre-ordering of this wagon, I see various retailers have them for sale.  Would I need to pre-order with them so they order for their pre-order number or will they just have ordered a certain number for themselves based on what they think they can sell?  In short, do I need to pre-order this wagon?!

The short answer is 'no'.  The order deadline for these wagons has past: I think it was July.  At that point all retailers will have committed to taking X models: whatever they think they can sell.  For some retailers that may be hundreds, but for others it may just be a dozen (or whatever the minimum order quantity is).  Each retailer will sell these on a first come first served basis, so if they ordered 12 and have already accepted pre-orders for six, then they will only have six to go on sale when they are released.  The risk is that if you don't order now, it's possible that another six people pre-order between now and the release date and then they have none left: all the models go to those who pre-ordered.  It's really just a question as to how annoyed you'll be if they sell out before you commit to a purchase.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, andythenorth said:

That looks outstanding, the livery application is really attractive, and the photography really shows it off. 🙂

Obligatory TT:120 request? 🙃  No forum thread is allowed to remain free of that now (I hope you got the memo).

Well it would allow them to sell it to those foreign types if UK 1:120 bombs.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
cos I'm an idiot