RMweb

Bath & West Exhibition - Britain’s Biggest Model Railway (& friends)! 8/9/10th April 2022

HeatonLodge40

10 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The only thing that impairs the realism of Heaton Lodge is the apparent absence of DMUs.

There's a whole depot of them around the back, and I'm sure I saw a few on the layout itself.

DMUS.jpg

DMU.jpg

DMU.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

There's a whole depot of them around the back, and I'm sure I saw a few on the layout itself.

Thanks. I was just judging from one of the videos posted here, which didin;t have any DMUs.

8th / 10th April 2022 saw Britain's Biggest Model Railway - Heaton Lodge Junction - venture to the South West Club, hosting a special three day Model Railway Exhibition, at the Royal Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
The layout was supported by no less than six visiting and clubs layouts/dioramas in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as well as a good selection of society, demo, manufacturers and trade stands.
Layouts as featured;
BOURNEMOUTH WEST - EM
WIMBOURNE - OO
OLDSHAW - EM
ALEXANDRA SIDING - O
KANNOTBURN - OO
EVERCREECH NEW - O
HEATON LODGE JUNCTION - O - BRITAIN'S BIGGEST MODEL RAILWAY
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

DMUS.jpg

The Fiddleyard itself is a work of art, watching some of the movements on YouTube you'd be forgiven for spending the whole time at the back just watching the marshalling.

• Like 1

We spent almost as much time behind the layout watching the fiddle yard as we did out front, it was fascinating watching the trains doing their own thing. How long did it take for Thomas to do one lap?

A great day out. My only criticism was that by Sunday morning all trace of the show on the website had gone; on the way there we were a little worried we'd got our dates completely messed up and would arrive at a closed showground having missed it all...

I visited on Saturday with a friend and it was well worth the trip from Surrey. Heaton Lodge Junction is mind-bogglingly large and makes even Retford look small. The scenic part certainly conveys a bleak winter's day in Yorkshire.

There were other good layouts too, Bournemouth West being one of my favourites. 

One observation for the future is to work on the running of HLJ as trains tended to stop or slow down in odd places, apparently unrelated to the signals. There were a few too many derailments. Have a look at the board joins - I saw one or two where the rails seemed to be out of line, and possibly consider some check rails just off of both ends of the scenic section which might help to re-rail a derailed bogie before a wagon turns over into the path of a train going in the opposite direction.

• RMweb Gold

I visited the show on Saturday with a friend, we were both amazed at the quality of the layout and the running of the trains.  There was never a non run time throughout.   I'm equally amazed at the criticism shown here.  We spent at least 3 hours at the layout and observed one derailment, strange things happen on models but with this one it was akin to being lineside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/04/2022 at 09:40, Andy Kirkham said:

The only thing that impairs the realism of Heaton Lodge is the apparent absence of DMUs.

I noticed the absence of DMUs on Sunday morning but they did start running one around lunch-time.

20220410_140753.jpg.5ce47e9e5688191caf59be176654a378.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish I'd been able to see it, such a pity that it was only for those three days but I assume that this must be connected with availability of the team and venue etc.

Edited by Captain Kernow