The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How to dispose of old VHS tape cassettes?

ejstubbs

Embarking upon a loft clear-out, I uncovered three large cardboard boxes stuffed with old VHS cassettes - some pre-recorded, some home taped.  There are a very few that hold content that I would like preserve, most likely by transferring to DVD.  The rest are just taking up valuable room for no reason.

The second-hand market for such things on the 'bay and elsewhere seems to be more or less dormant and, unsurprisingly in the circumstances, charity shops don't seem to want them either.

There are quite a few of the things, and they take up a fair bit of space - not the sort of collection of awkward rubbish I can easily fit in the wheelie bin alongside our normal weekly two or three bin bags, never mind the environmental issues that might arise when they go off to landfill.

I can easily remove things like cardboard sleeves and paper labels from library cases for recycling, but the cassettes themselves appear to be pretty much unrecyclable, being a mix of different types of plastic with a few bits of metal thrown in.

Just wondering whether the RMWeb hive mind might be able to offer any useful suggestions?

Depends on what they are.

Some are very collectable and go for very good money. Especially things like music videos, horror movies and other cult films.

If they are stuff like films maybe get in touch with this chap. I believe there are a few similar places in other cities like Leeds.

https://www.videodyssey.com/

As for charity shops, I do take them, mostly out of courtesy. Have a look through and then put them in the Biffa bin. You never know there might be a rare uncensored Japanese import edition of Texas Chainsaw Massacre lurking in the bottom. 

Jason

• Like 1

The same thought occurred to me when I had a pile of tapes to dump, but I checked with my local council (London Borough of Bexley) and they said there was no point in dismantling them. Instead they told me to just put them in the general waste bin, as they'd probably end up being incinerated anyway. Saved me a lot of effort.

Peter, Sidcup

• RMweb Premium

The plastic cases they come in are very useful for storing modelling bits in.

Probably more so in N Gauge where you can also use them for storing finished models - I used they to keep work in progress projects in.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You could always try Freecycle if there is a group in your area. I unearthed a stash of old C90s during lockdown, brand new and still in the cellophane wrappers. Some guy who does home recording snapped them up once they'd opened up for collections again.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2022 at 20:35, Miss Prism said:

Half a dozen in the bin each week?

Do NOT do this!

The video tape itself contains toxic chemicals which can leach into the environment and as such it should not be mixed in with general waste which may end up in landfill sites.

However many local authority waste / recycling sites (i.e. your local tip)  will take them and have a special container for you to put them in which ensures the toxic elements gets disposed of properly.

A good few years ago I boxed up mine and paid to send them to a business which mainly dealt with tape recycling for the film and TV industry but did also dispose of ordinary folks redundant tapes FOC.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Thanks 1