Hachette Flying Scotsman

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven't updated this in a while, but then I haven't done much.

The tender is painted now.

P1090236.JPG

Whoever designed the woodgrain in the cab has presumably never seen a tree.

P1090240.JPG

Started on the lining. I don't like it. This is as far as I could stand it for one session. And this loco has at lot of lining....

P1090251.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it's going to drag though. The black & white lining doesn't agree with my eyeballs at all. I've been using a bright LED lamp so maybe I ought to try something softer. I've lined round the edge of the other side now and that was enough for one session.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Starting on what I expected to be a more difficult bit as there isn't a nice edge to line up against.

I don't know what other people do but I made a series of small pencil marks around the edge so that the decal would just cover them when positioned correctly. It was then a case of poking the decal into place with a cocktail stick and sighting along it from the rear of the tender to check for straightness.

DSCF0134.JPG

After doing that four times I quite pleased with how it came out. Well apart from the bit above the front axle where I nicked into the white when the knife slipped when cutting the decal out...

DSCF0135.JPG

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that you have painted the splasher tops black.

I did the same but I have struggled to find a photo of Papyrus (my chosen engine) with black splasher tops since doing it.

Hmm, Looks like you're right. Maybe I need to get the masking tape out again. I already re-did the splashers as some of the edges were a bit scrappy :(

• Like 1

Hmm, Looks like you're right. Maybe I need to get the masking tape out again. I already re-did the splashers as some of the edges were a bit scrappy :(

Sorry I forgot to add that you have made a cracking job of it so far and (Like you I am sure) I am looking forward to seeing the finished article. I haven't been working on mine quite as long as you but it has taken some time.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got round to doing some more lining...

There's rather a lot of it along the footplate. Did it all in little chunks like this and poked it into place with a cocktail stick. Anything larger became unmanageable.

DSCF1044.JPG

After doing that for a very long time I now have lined frames & footplate.

DSCF1045.JPG

DSCF1047.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finishing off the lining...

DSCF1048.JPG

The instructions have you cutting and extending the lining on the front of the cab.

Looks like the boiler is a little under width and the lining needs to extend down to fill the space.

DSCF1049.JPG

DSCF1050.JPG

DSCF1055.JPG

DSCF1059.JPG

That's it. No more decals! (Apart from the wheels centres later)

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wheels & nameplates on.

DSCF1095.JPG

Motorised with an ABC gearbox.Probably should have used thinner wire. This stuff is a bit bulky to route around.

DSCF1207.JPG

Nearly there! I seem to be missing a couple of screws to fix to the drop links.

I got a back issue magazine and re-did the return cranks. The originals were very loose on the crank pins as the instructions had you drilling out the holes to 1.1mm and tapping 12ba. This time I didn't drill out at all as the holes seemed big enough already and now there's enough thread to tighten things up.

DSCF1217.JPG

• Like 13

I have wondered how many of these hatchet jobs were finished and are actually working on a layout. Sadly I don't have room to run mine, but all in all, I thought it was not a bad kit.

They pop up on ebay quite frequently.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments.

It's been a surprisingly un-fiddly kit for a first time build, (though it's taking so long I've done a couple in between).

There were a few niggles such as the cab window frames but nothing too terrible.

I think DJH have been influenced by this 'beginner Pacific' idea and have produced a simplified kit of a Peppercorn A2

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3243

• RMweb Premium

Wheels & nameplates on.

DSCF1095.JPG

Motorised with an ABC gearbox.Probably should have used thinner wire. This stuff is a bit bulky to route around.

DSCF1207.JPG

Nearly there! I seem to be missing a couple of screws to fix to the drop links.

I got a back issue magazine and re-did the return cranks. The originals were very loose on the crank pins as the instructions had you drilling out the holes to 1.1mm and tapping 12ba. This time I didn't drill out at all as the holes seemed big enough already and now there's enough thread to tighten things up.

DSCF1217.JPG

At least it has got further than the real one. 

Terry ( Ducks for cover)

• Like 1

At least it has got further than the real one. 

Terry ( Ducks for cover)

That's ok, i think this is the first Flying Scotsman thread on any forum I've ever seen that didn't devolve into a debate on the livery choice...

That said, my real reason for posting is to say it looks fantastic. I'd be thrilled if i could build a locomotive that looked that good!!! Congrats, and good series of posts on the trials of building and lining the kit.

-Stephen