Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't the fence be creosoted after being built to save getting very dirty and smelly workmen?

Or is arse about face the north eastern way of doing things?

Mike.

I've had pressure creosoted rails and posts delivered from the local estate wood yard many years ago, assuming Darlington would issue them likewise. Bloody awful to work with though but better when left to thoroughly dry out.

Maybe it should be painted with camouflage paint?

post-508-0-68775400-1462541665.jpg

A LNER/NER railway fence earlier today.

Note the lamb bar  (most of it buried by undergrowth) Mr G.

P

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little progress on Greyscroft this last weekend, a lineside hut which will be used to help hide the track as it passes over the board joint at a horrible angle. None of this hut was my work though, SWMBO (Nicola) decided she wanted to make something and I thought a Wills hut would be a good start, she was thinking loco actually but eventually I persuaded her this would be better for a complete novice.

post-7104-0-08152200-1464039508_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-00769400-1464039514_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of when I was at school in Guisborough,the geography teacher made us scetch a cross section of the valley and label what we could see. Those local to the area will know that on clear days it's possible to see the Pennines. I duly scetched the valley an labeled the said hills. The teacher came along and said that it was wrong and they weren't the Pennines........

So I drew on Blackpool tower and the statue of liberty!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent films,the first time I saw the North Skelton one I was about eight years old at newstead junior school.

I'd seen drift mines in Guisborough woods but had no idea there were deep mines with big headstock's so close to where I lived. North Skelton had only closed about nine years previously back then. I've been massively interested in them ever since.

I got a still of the secondman in the film but no one seems to be able to identify him, by rights i should have worked with him in the eighties

• RMweb Gold

Work has started again on Greyscroft today, there's a trespass sign appeared and there are flowers all over the place! the buttercups and Forget-me-nots perhaps quite subtle and the Red Campion less so.

post-7104-0-10315000-1465126516_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-77797400-1465126525_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-69237700-1465126534_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lucky you aren't modelling the rosedale branch,it could have been over the top at Ingleby and by the time it hit Battersby, Mallard's effort some 20 odd years later would look like a walk in the Park!

• RMweb Gold

Lucky you aren't modelling the rosedale branch,it could have been over the top at Ingleby and by the time it hit Battersby, Mallard's effort some 20 odd years later would look like a walk in the Park!

Well, that is next...

• RMweb Gold

The track and mine yard have been painted a sort of mucky brown colour and everything has had a bit of a waft over to tone everything down a bit.

post-7104-0-07804100-1465596706_thumb.jpg

There's been a few hens let out into the yard, so hopefully eggs for breakfast. I've decided that the Fergie was a bit too good for a little farm like this so tonight I've rebuilt a whitemetal kit for a Standard Fordson, I built it years ago and I don't know what glue I used but it slowly fell to bits, anyway, it's built a bit more accurately now seen here in primer. Can't remember what make the kit is, any thoughts?

post-7104-0-34849300-1465596687_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-06558100-1465596697_thumb.jpg

On to the mine yard board and it's also been painted and bits of greenery added, the photo also shows where Nicola's hut will go.

post-7104-0-16967600-1465596715_thumb.jpg

Archived