Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

The next outing for Greyscroft will be at Expo EM in a few weeks, one of the jobs that needed to be done was to strengthen the fiddleyard curved end boards. To do this I decided to dismantle the boards but leave the track on and mount the old board tops on to new more stable baseboards. The first two for the right hand end are completed and wired, the original wires were simply refitted to these boards. The three for the other end are made and still need tidying up and the track boards fitting. Hopefully this will end any problems with sagging track - there is nothing more embarrassing than sagging track.

post-7104-0-93049100-1429049233_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well done Paul, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when are you going to do something about that carpet.....

TFIC

Dave F.

That's a quality piece of Axminster-lasts for years!

there is nothing more embarrassing than sagging track.

Wanna bet???

Wait till you reach 50. Everything starts to sag at that age. You can never beat gravity...

That's only another 10 years to go for you. So how many folks did you manage to keep your York weekends fortieth birthday a secret from. OOps! Not many now....

P

Speak for yourself!

Oi!

Speaking like that I might just have to post some then & now pics. :) (Of you I mean...)

See ya at the Weekend. Turntable motor and gearbox to show you.

P

• RMweb Gold

Wanna bet???

Wait till you reach 50. Everything starts to sag at that age. You can never beat gravity...

That's only another 10 years to go for you. So how many folks did you manage to keep your York weekends fortieth birthday a secret from. OOps! Not many now....

P

Oi! Not till July Porky...

...don't upset the Porky/Porce...hes got a brakevan to finish for the weekend...

Weather and hands (and the washing machine!) are contriving against me at the moment.

The state of play. Weathering experiments are failing miserably at the moment and lots & lots still to do...

post-508-0-60780200-1429107912.jpg

Managed to solder up a couple of vac pipe support brackets this morning to compliment Mr Frank's swan necks along with blackening and assembling some Screw Couplings.

post-508-0-17020200-1429107946.jpg

In the meantime back at the ranch... did a load of washing in anticipation of the sun coming out. Spent a while hanging out the washing... returned to the scullery to see my previously and carefully measured out washing liquid still sat in its container next to the washer... BU**ER! Oh how I laughed; and I'm sure I heard the soap laughing too. (at me)  SO the washing has been retrieved and is currently having another gentle rotation but with added suds this time.

Just thought I'd tell the world about the domestic tribulations of Porcy. The up side is the sun has just come out and there are two Litres of vanilla ice cream in the fridge sitting alongside a tub of Cornish clotted. It's screaming to me that eating it will be a great stress buster.

To the fridge...

and the sun still has got his hat on...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vDX_T5QlLIg"

• RMweb Gold

Right, time for a topic reset...

All the new 'curved' baseboards have now got track, dowels and wiring on them. The next job is to install legs, these will be a single leg on each board (piggybacking on the previous board) and there will be captive bolts in the baseboard frames for these to be fixed to.

post-7104-0-36077200-1429224191_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-20419800-1429224202_thumb.jpg

And while board 5 was out to align it with the FY boards, some pretty pictures of an NER nature...

post-7104-0-31754800-1429224336_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-04005300-1429224357_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-50441400-1429224373_thumb.jpg

Clever idea with the pegs!

The coping stones on the flat topped bridge maybe look a bit thin?

Cheers,

26power

Right, time for a topic reset...

All the new 'curved' baseboards have now got track, dowels and wiring on them. The next job is to install legs, these will be a single leg on each board (piggybacking on the previous board) and there will be captive bolts in the baseboard frames for these to be fixed to.

attachicon.gifIMGP0457-001.JPG

And while board 5 was out to align it with the FY boards, some pretty pictures of an NER nature...

attachicon.gifE1-004.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Clever idea with the pegs!

The coping stones on the flat topped bridge maybe look a bit thin?

Cheers,

26power

Hi, The pegs aren't my idea, one of our club members uses them. Yes, the coping stones are a bit thin, they're on the 'would like to improve' list!

• RMweb Gold

All the legs for the new end boards have now been cut to length and fitted, nothing to photograph at the moment though.

On top of the boards though it's a different story, The stopblocks that I bought from Mr Franks on Saturday have been put together tonight and a start has been made painting them. These are to be fitted at the ends of the mine sidings.

post-7104-0-21757800-1429652108_thumb.jpg

In grey primer.

post-7104-0-84443300-1429652118_thumb.jpg

Mostly the metalwork sprayed with Humbrol 62.

post-7104-0-02046200-1429652132_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-19915500-1429652146_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, nice job, I've got as far as painting three of my MR bufferstops on Wharfeside and that was nearly two years ago.... Still not weathered yet.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Did you ever expect to get your own finished?

Eimcos are generally 18" or 24" gauge, the ones I knew in Cornwall in the 70s were mostly 18" gauge. They can be any gauge though, the one on my avatar is 3'6" gauge in an American coal mine - American mines made a lot of use of gauges between 3' and 4"8.5"

I remember seeing a very nice one on a small diorama called "The Adit" a while ago

Scunthorpe ironstone is rusty red, Northants was/is orange and Barrow in Furness was known as "the red hell of the North" - the Cleveland version seems a different colour.

Eimcos are generally 18" or 24" gauge,

Or universal gauge, as here:

https://flic.kr/p/4ELSQx

I used to use any excuse to "test drive" these. Usually I'd say the oil level or temperature probes needed checking. Then half an hours hard "mucking out" making sure you didn't embarrass yourself by running over the supply cable.

P

Or universal gauge, as here:

https://flic.kr/p/4ELSQx

I used to use any excuse to "test drive" these. Usually I'd say the oil level or temperature probes needed checking. Then half an hours hard "mucking out" making sure you didn't embarrass yourself by running over the supply cable.

P

Ah, that's a different beast altogether. It's still made by Eimco, but it's a side tipper, made for loading onto belts. It's electric, not air-powered. It's used for coal mining. There ARE tracked versions of the rocker shovels, mostly used for shaft-sinking, but they weren't common.

The rocker shovel is an obsolete beast now, superseded by the Joy and Brok type loaders with a central belt discharging to the rear.

• RMweb Gold

I set the whole layout up in the garage tonight to check that the new boards would fit correctly, luckily they did. There were a few track alighnment issues to resolve but with a bit of packing under some of the trackbed boards this was sorted.

post-7104-0-95218100-1429915323_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-97213400-1429915334_thumb.jpg

Of course with the whole layout up I had to take a few pretty pictures...

post-7104-0-91926500-1429915470_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-48658800-1429915496_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-70510600-1429915482_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-15468800-1429915510_thumb.jpg

and Barrow in Furness was known as "the red hell of the North"

That was Haematite, a high quality, low phosphorous, ore with a high iron content, hence the red colour. Relatively rare, in the UK it was found only in the Barrow/Workington area, with a much smaller deposit in Glamorgan. It's local availability was the reason that Workington steelworks, uniquely in the UK, used the acid Bessemer process right to the end in 1974. Latterly, haematite had to be imported.

• RMweb Gold

No pretty pictures tonight, just a building site. Before the crossover was moved there was an access road to the mine here but now it would be going over one of the crossover turnouts as well as the one into the yard, also I was never happy with how it looked so the remains of it were removed tonight and a new fence put up across the gap.

post-7104-0-38282100-1430170345_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-11607300-1430170356_thumb.jpg

Archived