Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

I never mentioned the other day that when I was painting the gate posts the first two (hinge) all went well, primer then white. The second two were primed then after drying I took the tin of white out into the garage and started spraying but they weren't changing colour, at first I wondered if the primer hadn't dried and the white wad reacting with it (different size tins) then I looked closer at the tin - Acrylic Varnish...

• RMweb Gold

More work on the farm buildings tonight, windows and door fitted to the house along with chimneys and pots, ridge and rain water goods.

post-7104-0-11927300-1458602112_thumb.jpg

I'm wanting some dry stone walls around the yard so I'm experimenting with some cast resin sections from Javis, they look quite a good representation of some of the rubble walls in the area and as can be seen in the second photo they can be bent if softened with boiling water. 

post-7104-0-22695000-1458602119_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-53933400-1458602126_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I needed a little job last night that I could do at the club so I took some microstrip and some measurements and made the yard gates, despite Derek's advice they are not built to a Midland Railway pattern but very like the ones my Granddad used to make and probably his father before him.

post-7104-0-40465000-1458841224_thumb.jpg

The main entrance gate is a bit wider at 12', quite a big gate for back then, the others are 10'.

post-7104-0-86324300-1458841230_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work Paul, I tried Boiling one of those walls and bending it, it broke in half.

The one I did broke eventually, the white filler you can see going to the top is where it went, it was just bent enough though but it took a whole kettle of water poured over it to soften it, if I ever need more I know they are ok boiled in a pan.

The house is now finished and stuck down, the other buildings need glazing and the cart house needs a floor before they too can be fixed. I have made good progress painting the walls, I seem to have found the right combination of colours that work. I've laid the garden path and there will eventually be a fence across the front and I need to make another field gate, you can just see the gate posts on the right.

post-7104-0-64344300-1458861476_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The first lot of grass trimmed and the next glued down tonight.

post-7104-0-62386200-1458947225_thumb.jpg

I've modified an Oxford Ferguson tractor, I've got rid of the front 'axle', thinned down the king-pins, replaced the steering wheel with an etched one, lowered the seat and painted it grey, fitted a roll bar and fitted three point linkage - kind of pointless having one of these without it. 

post-7104-0-92422600-1458947234_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-55153900-1458947244_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That Fergie is a beautiful bit of work but, Aren't tractor roll bars a little later than 1955, I believe 1974 In the UK, the first country in the world Sweden didn't bring in the legislation till 1959.

• RMweb Gold

That Fergie is a beautiful bit of work but, Aren't tractor roll bars a little later than 1955, I believe 1974 In the UK, the first country in the world Sweden didn't bring in the legislation till 1959.

I think they would have been optional before that, My uncle's Dexta has always had one and my grandfather bought it new in '62.

• RMweb Gold

Had a very productive day yesterday, the rest of the grass was laid and the glue was dry enough to trim it and I managed to get it masked up and painted last night.

post-7104-0-20364500-1459273379_thumb.jpg

Really pleased with this angle, fences next.

post-7104-0-84465400-1459273384_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Another good session tonight.

Topsoil in the garden.

post-7104-0-24363800-1459288217_thumb.jpg

Fence posts in.

post-7104-0-94007200-1459288227_thumb.jpg

Started removing grass in the yard and adding soil.

post-7104-0-49245100-1459288237_thumb.jpg

And in gate holes.

post-7104-0-60860600-1459288246_thumb.jpg

The crossing box looks more at home now but not fixed yet.

post-7104-0-32747500-1459288256_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

After an almost completely wasted 3 & 1/2 days in bed with what must have been flu (never spent that much time in bed ill before) I've been back at it tonight, I did a bit last night, attaching rails to posts, but it was a faff between coughing. Anyway, the rails turned out to be on straight so the first section of fence was painted, a couple of coats of Vallejo US Field Drab followed by a wash with light grey, the telegraph posts have been treated the same way but with only one rough coat of Drab over the black plastic. I've also fitted the first of the bicycle wickets.

post-7104-0-36278000-1459894535_thumb.jpg

Another little job done is this stone water trough, made from mounting board.

post-7104-0-07668300-1459894588_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've had similar too; thought it was a cold but was much, much worse. Unfortunately for me, I had to look after the baby and also work from home as I had too much on that needed to be done (boring nerd stuff but I had to create a load of metric reports for senior management - complex formulas and the like). I did manage to get some modelling done though, so not all was lost :)

Loving your progress Paul although I do wonder how long it will be until you have added scenery to the fiddle yard too, as it keeps creeping further and further round the layout :)

• RMweb Gold

I've had similar too; thought it was a cold but was much, much worse. Unfortunately for me, I had to look after the baby and also work from home as I had too much on that needed to be done (boring nerd stuff but I had to create a load of metric reports for senior management - complex formulas and the like). I did manage to get some modelling done though, so not all was lost :)

Loving your progress Paul although I do wonder how long it will be until you have added scenery to the fiddle yard too, as it keeps creeping further and further round the layout :)

Hope you haven't passed it on to the little one, I'm all for sharing but that wouldn't be nice.

That's as far as the scenics are going, I need to get on with the new layout next.

Coughs and colds caught from children always seem to be the worst. We have seven grand children and one of them always seems to have a cold, so we catch it and feel poorly for weeks, while they recover quickly and run around like banshees. Just not fair.

Derek

Hi Paul, the new bit of railway is looking very nice. I like the wee grey Fergie but I do tend to agree regarding the rollover bar, it does seem a little early for Elf & Safety. I used to be involved with tractors, (call me an 'ex-tractor fan' if you like), in fact I sold my 1943 David Brown VAC1 I had restored to buy me first car and now I only have a model of it.

The flu thing was a nasty one as Jonathan and Jason have testified to. This week I've found it very difficult to be casting with the respirator mask on whilst coughing n spluttering all over the shop, were you all at York cause that's where I got it from.

All the best,

Dave Franks

• RMweb Premium

well it wasn't me but some misery in Robin Hoods Bay managed to pass the bug onto me! It is totally impervious to Currys and hot toddies so I may just crawl off into my pit and suffer in silence...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul, the new bit of railway is looking very nice. I like the wee grey Fergie but I do tend to agree regarding the rollover bar, it does seem a little early for Elf & Safety. I used to be involved with tractors, (call me an 'ex-tractor fan' if you like), in fact I sold my 1943 David Brown VAC1 I had restored to buy me first car and now I only have a model of it.

The flu thing was a nasty one as Jonathan and Jason have testified to. This week I've found it very difficult to be casting with the respirator mask on whilst coughing n spluttering all over the shop, were you all at York cause that's where I got it from.

All the best,

Dave Franks

I went down with it a couple of days after Stafford show, then had a rerun a couple of weeks before Easter.  Still coughing away.

Getting back on topic, the new work is looking stunning.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I went down with it a couple of days after Stafford show, then had a rerun a couple of weeks before Easter.  Still coughing away.

Getting back on topic, the new work is looking stunning.

Adrian

As of today I've a headache , I'm coughing, I feel rough as hell......

I'm blaming you lot...

• RMweb Gold

A bit of work over the last couple of nights has seen the signal nearly finished, I don't know where it originally came from but it's not one I started, one arm (the left, lower one) needed to be replaced with a full size one and the mechanism on the other needed redoing as it was built much too tight and it destroyed it's self while I was moving it to try and free it up. It's been sprayed all over white so the next job is to brush paint the black and red bits.

post-7104-0-10981500-1460497009_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-45968200-1460497020_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-56145900-1460497028_thumb.jpg

Archived