Hi Everyone. 

I've been busy with glue this afternoon and built up the engine shed kit, anyone got any idea on how to paint it and cover the roof?

Here is a quick photo or two:

20220524_185052.jpg.78747220b9ba01942f6c0c0b23af6373.jpg

Finished engine shed before painting and detailing. 

20220524_184944.jpg.eadbc5b6423ca205863e5a227064c75d.jpg

How layout looks at the moment. 

I'm going to raid my spares/junk box tomorrow to see what I can find.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Excuse the unashamed self-promotion, but I detail how I paint and weather my laser cut kits on the cheap here (foot of page 3): 

No idea about the roof I’m afraid, other than making tiles from strips of paper. Good luck! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone. 

A quick question for you all:

IMG-20220525-WA0004.jpeg.a30b7d44513f8526c4bbf188048be8a4.jpeg

Do you think the tree is too overpowering?

IMG-20220525-WA0006.jpeg.dfa888370562638c6f132929e7ab6bce.jpeg

Or does that look better?

I would love to hear your opinions,  thoughts etc.

Thanks. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Missed out photo
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone. 

This morning I have been playing around with bits and bobs to try and see how the backscene and layout might work. 

Here is a photo:

20220528_075028.jpg.ce06024c93001f0ffeba4c2ca1600484.jpg

The first photo shows I have got rid of the signal box and replaced it with a image pinched from a model magazine. 

20220528_082455.jpg.3d14d060838ccb175b5a081093e65cdf.jpg

Same thing but with a temporary background in place to get an idea of how it look.

The temporary background would be replaced with just tress backscene. 

These are just idea's,  so may change, what do you guys think?

Jerry. 

• Like 8

Hi Everyone. 

Thanks for all of the replies, suggestions etc so far.

Today I'm going to work on the backscene,  I spent most of the weekend wondering what to do with the backscene, buy a photographic  one which I couldn't really justify the cost of at £15 - £18 just for 2 foot as the rest wouldn't get used.

I am therefore thinking of painting the backscene a blue-ish grey colour using tester pots, and if it doesn't work I can stick a backscene over it!

More soon.

Jerry. 

• Like 1

If you are going to paint a backscene perhaps you could use the one you have as a guide. The perspective looks pretty good to me but the backscene may be a bit bright. A hand painted one would certainly be ‘softer’. Tester pots and cheap artists acrylics can give a nice result - it just depends how arty you are.

On 28/05/2022 at 08:39, Jerry1975 said:

Hi Everyone. 

This morning I have been playing around with bits and bobs to try and see how the backscene and layout might work. 

Here is a photo:

20220528_075028.jpg.ce06024c93001f0ffeba4c2ca1600484.jpg

The first photo shows I have got rid of the signal box and replaced it with a image pinched from a model magazine. 

20220528_082455.jpg.3d14d060838ccb175b5a081093e65cdf.jpg

Same thing but with a temporary background in place to get an idea of how it look.

The temporary background would be replaced with just tress backscene. 

These are just idea's,  so may change, what do you guys think?

Jerry. 

I quite like that even though the backscene doesn't really fit with the foreground.

The problem is not the background itself though, it's how to disguise those wooden ends as they have to blend together whatever back- and foregrounds you finally choose.  You can use bridges etc to justify the hole, and those trees certainly help both with disguising the hole and crating perspective. 

I have my doubts as to a forest background, because perspective would be too difficult to achieve - you would need bigger trees in the foreground decreasing in size towards the backscene and there isn't room for that; nor have I ever heard of a low-relief model tree!  Some forestry in the distance of a painted backscene should work though.

I think the ends have to be hand-painted if they are to create a perspective diorama as size tapers away to smaller in the distance, and certainly beyond my artistic abilities.  Maybe a plain white to look like clouded sky might be easier?  At least that's easy to mock up with a couple of sheets of paper.

,As a commerical bread bin is better than my own joinery any day, I shall refrain from saying your baseboard is Jerry-built!

Hi Michael. 

Thanks for your reply. 

To be honest the backscene has been really bothering me, what to do, does this look right etc so in the end I'm going to paint to it a sky colour and take it from there,  my initial thought is for a slightly overcast look, we will see how it turns out.

Jerry. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone. 

Well I painted the back and sides of the bread bin to make a backscene and here is a photo:

20220601_091134.jpg.6db56b25526105cae6cbf2b6ff19ebbd.jpg

Personally I don't think it's to bad, I will be adding things to the background like trees, fences etc so it won't look quite so harsh.

I probably won't be able to do much now until next week as jubilee weekend. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 6

Thanks Andrew for your reply,  this morning I have been repositioning things and think this better:

20220602_082513.jpg.8d351d0fa59847eb7337246a48cd7dcb.jpg

I'm a lot happier with how it looks and it will look even better once everything else is added.

More soon.

Jerry. 

• Like 5

My small stones have arrived so it's on with the tedious task of sticking them down,  waiting for them to dry, do next layer,  repeat, seriously its not to bad and should look very effective after it's done. 

Jerry. 

• Friendly/supportive 1