WIGAN EXHIBITION 2022 Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd October

Eaton

I can confirm that discussions are underway with a third party concerning the possible resurrection of the Wigan 2023 Exhibition. Whilst there is still much to be discussed there is now hope for the future. As more details emerge I will provide updates. 

Edited by Eaton
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• 3 weeks later...

Bummer. I've already been working on filling that weekend, with visits to other events, that clashed in October and were looking at changing dates to allow me to attend.

Lets hope you manage to get an early decision.

For those mooting a one day show. Big layout owners are not prepared to attend due to the time and effort of moving and setting up the layout etc. A relaxing Saturday evening is a must before having to dismantle, travel home then unload and decide when to put the layout back up, if nesessary.

Traders need to remember that attending a show is advertising your wares. The web is not the be all and end all. If you can survive with just online sales then great but you will eventually need new customers and you have to draw them in somehow. One shop attended a show for the first, time just 30 miles from there base and were mobbed for the following two weeks as so many people did not know they existed. They had regular adverts in the model magazines but for the 'general' enthusiast that is not always enough.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, SteamAle said:

Bummer. I've already been working on filling that weekend, ...

Lets hope you manage to get an early decision....

For those mooting a one day show. Big layout owners are not prepared to attend ...

Traders need to remember ...

Just let the team get on with their plans, unhindered by your opinions that are not necessarily representing anyone.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I wish you success in getting it back on track. Since I discovered the Wigan Show it has been one of the first dates to go in my diary at the start of the year.

I was intending to visit on Satuday this year but train strikes and other transport disruption / lack of reliable services meant that by public transport I would arrive about two hours before closing on Sunday. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

After much deliberation the group have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the 2022 Exhibition would indeed be our final venture. In the end it was the uncertainties that became to much for our small group to contemplate. Anticipated problems with the trade support, with hotel accommodation, with local advertising and predicting visitor numbers made budgeting for 2023 a nightmare, and that is before random events like a rail strike are thrown into the mix.

Even with the generous assistance of Culcheth Models it became obvious that a rethink would have to be undertaken before we could proceed with any confidence. This would involve a smaller exhibition operating on a much reduced budget and this was something that we didn't wish to do.

Since the Wigan & District Model Railway Society disbanded in 2006 and we decided to continue to hold an annual exhibition I think we have gained a reputation for quality. 2022 was our fifteenth exhibition and personally, and I may be a little biased, but I think it was the best exhibition we have held and it was such a shame that not enough visitors came to enjoy it. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

That is very sad but quite understandable. Trying to plan with any certainty on visitor numbers, finances and budgets must be a nightmare. Many thanks for all the excellent shows you put on and for having me and some of my layouts along to some of them. They were always great fun as an exhibitor or as a visitor and it was one of the "must go" shows in the diary.

At least I can say that I was one of the rather small number who turned up at the last show, which was indeed very high quality indeed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I agree 2022 was a fitting finale for the exhibition, showed despite the downturn caused by the pandemic that Wigan still 'had it'.  But given the ongoing uncertainties that show no immediate sign of abating and all the other valid reasons given for not continuing, I fully understand your decision to go out on a high than a whimper.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2023 at 14:35, Eaton said:

After much deliberation the group have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the 2022 Exhibition would indeed be our final venture. In the end it was the uncertainties that became to much for our small group to contemplate. Anticipated problems with the trade support, with hotel accommodation, with local advertising and predicting visitor numbers made budgeting for 2023 a nightmare, and that is before random events like a rail strike are thrown into the mix.

Even with the generous assistance of Culcheth Models it became obvious that a rethink would have to be undertaken before we could proceed with any confidence. This would involve a smaller exhibition operating on a much reduced budget and this was something that we didn't wish to do.

Since the Wigan & District Model Railway Society disbanded in 2006 and we decided to continue to hold an annual exhibition I think we have gained a reputation for quality. 2022 was our fifteenth exhibition and personally, and I may be a little biased, but I think it was the best exhibition we have held and it was such a shame that not enough visitors came to enjoy it. 

I was just wondering if there had been any change in the situation regarding the show for 2023?

A friend of mine has just found this:

https://www.steamheritage.co.uk/steam-rallies-and-events/event/wigan-model-railway-exhibition

My guess is that it is simply wrong information on their website but it is a possible cause of confusion if a show that isn't happening is being advertised as if it is. 

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I was just wondering if there had been any change in the situation regarding the show for 2023?

A friend of mine has just found this:

https://www.steamheritage.co.uk/steam-rallies-and-events/event/wigan-model-railway-exhibition

My guess is that it is simply wrong information on their website but it is a possible cause of confusion if a show that isn't happening is being advertised as if it is. 

Absolutely right. I guess someone sent that info to that website a year or so ago and forgot to follow up when it was permanently cancelled

• RMweb Premium

I'd seen the message saying that other options were being explored but I'd missed the one saying it wasn't going to happen. Sad news, but thanks for trying and thanks for the great shows I've been to.