Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Volunteering: Why do it?

Ian Smeeton

• RMweb Premium

We all seem to have no time for anything outside work/family/work/sleep/work.

If you can find the time, it can be very rewarding to do something totally different.

Try it!

Regards

Ian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sure life is challenging, 2 young kids, disabled wife, busy job and pets, however volunteering is simply the best anti depressant going. No matter what is going on you book on and its like stepping away from modern life (we are not allowed to have our phones on at all whilst on duty) 

Not only do other volunteers become your friends you tend to see some visitors over and over again and there is something special about sharing our hobby. Yes there are some who are most definitely better in the background and you would never want in front of the public, but volunteering is a very broad area and we need all types. 

Just bear in mind that it can take longer than you think to start with to make progress. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I certainly would not mind helping out with the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and/or the Kent & East Sussex Railway in some way. However, as with many other people, work and family commitments must come first.

Plus some of the things that I do with my model railway club also take up a fair amount of my free time, especially producing the quarterly in-house magazine for the rest of the members (something that I have been doing since 2013).

I also feel that some people volunteer at certain preserved railways because of that railway's higher profile status, even though there might be another railway closer to home that is desperately short of volunteers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am a volunteer and trustee at a heritage attraction, in this case a bus museum. As with many other heritage attractions we are struggling for volunteers, with an increasing average age profile. The challenges of recruiting and retaining new volunteers is currently high on our agenda. This morning I saw an e-mail from a colleague, advising that there might be insufficient cover for us to open one day next weekend, bringing the issue to the fore once again.

Unsurprisingly, the Covid-19 lockdowns played their part in the current situation, reminding people that they can find many other things to do with their spare time. However, I would support the view that voluntary work has many benefits, not the least of which are the positive mental health aspects.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Invicta Informant said:

I certainly would not mind helping out with the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and/or the Kent & East Sussex Railway in some way. However, as with many other people, work and family commitments must come first.

Plus some of the things that I do with my model railway club also take up a fair amount of my free time, especially producing the quarterly in-house magazine for the rest of the members (something that I have been doing since 2013).

I also feel that some people volunteer at certain preserved railways because of that railway's higher profile status, even though there might be another railway closer to home that is desperately short of volunteers.

I always thought the opposite. Much better chance of going through the ranks quickly at the Titfield* Railway Society than the Festiniog for example.

*Used a fictional railway rather than insulting a small railway that struggles getting vols

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Getting through the ranks is one thing, but just getting time out from Life's Day to Day hurley Burley is another thing.

RbR is a small establishment, but I get just as much pleasure out of mowing several acres of grass as I do on the footplate.

Over the last winter, I set about 40 years growth of Blackthorn which was obscuring the view from the nature trail which runs along the side of the line.

It is not just about train driving (although I enjoy that, too)

It is about helping to make the visitor experience one that they will remember (Hopefully in a good way), while putting something in to the local community.

Lots of heritage railways and museums are not just about running trains, but about boosting the local economy, too.

Find a little time.

It doesn't have to be every week., or even every month.

Occasional volunteers are just as welcome as those who have lots of time to spare.

Try it, you might like it.

Regards

Ian

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Approaching this from a slightly different angle…everyone needs a routine, preserved railways have much to offer in terms of spaces where people might want to be. It may be the opportunity for a cuppa in a pleasant garden area, maybe during a plant swap morning (many people have gardens) that increases the footfall/awareness of the railway and starts a thought process along the lines of spending a little more time here. Asking a few vintage vehicle owning locals to bring their machines along on a Saturday or Sunday morning for a couple of hours would soon get people talking and coming along to the impromptu show. These people then chat with friends/family and bring along others. Any one of these new bodies might have extra skills that can benefit the situation.

The only limit to getting any amount of new people on site is imagination…the possibilities are endless.

A more attractive/open to all thread title could be, we would like to be part of YOUR routine.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree with everything you've written above, Ian.

What is certain is that, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression" and the railway - which it sounds like RbR does - needs to welcome and foster the new person's enthusiasm while it's fresh.  I have been slightly frustrated with one railway of which I am a member (although a little remote from it), which requested assistance with an admin task and I got in touch saying what I can do to help them.  I got an e-mail last October saying my offer had been passed on to the appropriate person but since then?

Nothing.  Well, do they want help or not?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll agree with much of what's been posted above. I've been volunteering at the Watercress line here in Hampshire for 5 years now, first on the platform & booking office, and now as a signalman. It's great for mental health, feeling like you're doing something really worthwhile, and getting a change from normal life - I spend my normal working hours sat at a desk, so getting outside and active really makes a difference for me.

We're a bit more structured than smaller outfits like RbR, so you do tend to join a specific department (operating, in my case), but there's nothing stopping those with enough time from joining multiple departments or taking on multiple roles. Most rostered roles require a minimum of 12 turns a year in order to maintain competencies - that's just one a month, and we have some people who can only manage that, while others might be out once or twice a week ( I usually manage twice a month ). Similarly we have some people keen to progress through the ranks and gain more competencies, and others who are content to stick with just one thing - there's no pressure either way.

There's really something for everyone too - we have plenty of people with no prior railway experience, all ages, and from all walks of life. Most lines will have a volunteer co-ordinator, or some kind of regular open day, or both - but chatting to any of the staff on duty at your local line will usually get you pointed in the right direction...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I intend to do this in two years' time when I pack in work.  I was given a good tip by the gas man (!) last week, whose father volunteered on the SVR for years: even if you know it all, act as if you don't, or you won't easily fit in.  Voluntary organisations are political minefields.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

I intend to do this in two years' time when I pack in work.  I was given a good tip by the gas man (!) last week, whose father volunteered on the SVR for years: even if you know it all, act as if you don't, or you won't easily fit in.  Voluntary organisations are political minefields.

Why not start your enquiries sooner rather than later.

At least you will be able to have a look at the behind the scenes organisation before committing.

Remember, volunteering is entirely Voluntary.

Regards,

Ian

• Agree 1

I'm kind of the opposite, got more free time than I've ever had , done 30+ years as a volunteer on the NYMR and at the point of telling them to stick it.  I'm bored stupid when I'm there, transferring to something else on the railway is nigh on impossible and I am getting to the point I don't have the patience to deal with the people whose only qualification is to stick a huge hat on with gold braid and think they're gods gift to railways.

I would look at the turnover of volunteers, if the only people there have been there forever and there are no new faces walk away.  If there's a really good mix and people can be bothered to take time to talk to a new/prospective volunteer that's the place to go.

I took a few months off from the Moors for medical reasons and did my first guards turn in ages in April and I saw 2 different attitudes on display, the most prevalent was "you're new so I'm going to ignore you or use my greater experience to try and bully you".  The better one was the one person who came up and said "Hi, I've not seen you before my name is ******* if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them".

To me you need to get something from your volunteering hobby, a sense of achievement or that you've turned up had some fun with like minded people and that you've helped the railway in some manner.  If you don't get that vote with your feet!

Edited by Boris
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

We have a very low turnover of volunteers, which helps.

This last couple of years we have had a couple of youngsters join, and as long as we can keep them from being distracted by Sex, Drugs & Rock & Roll,  other attractions they will progress rapidly through the competencies.

As we are such a small place, there is little danger of the  anonymity that you seem to have suffered. 

\it is not as if we have people working 10 miles apart at opposite ends of the line. Most of our work goes on within shouting distance.

Regards,

Ian 

• Like 3

I can thoroughly recommend volunteering too!  I'm fortunate to have a job and family that allow me to do ~2 days per month. I've found that easily enough to get involved in several aspects of my local railway (Didcot Railway Centre in my case). It took - like I think many things - a little while to figure out how the organisation worked, but 90% of people were immediately helpful, and the other 10% are just the other 10%  ;-) 

It is fantastic fun, and on a purely selfish level I find it very rewarding to do something practical.    It is also - particular when operating - the only time when I genuinely don't think about my real job for a whole eight hours!!  

• Like 4

Friendliness from the staff and volunteers is a good point.

We were visiting a very well known railway in Southern England which I won't mention as it was a long time ago and noticed something wrong. So we went looking for somebody to tell as there was nobody about.

Found someone who looked like he was in charge as he was wearing a full station masters uniform, and said very politely "Excuse me"

Before we had even finished that he went on an angry long rant about not being involved with timetables, trains, locomotives, photo permits, food, toilets, etc.

When he had finished my mate who was also a volunteer at a heritage railway added. "Err, your loco is slowly rolling that way with nobody on it!"

Panic ensues!

🤣

No damage done. The crew had popped into the cafe for a break and had left someone else in charge who decided he also wanted to go for a break....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

It is chucking it down with rain, today, and I am not rostered for duty.

Will I still go?

Yep!

Regards from a soggy Rocks by Rail.

Ian

I went.

I got soaked

Right through to my underwear!!

But, I achieved a lot.

Signed up a volunteer

Initiated a newbie into the intricacies of being a Diesel Secondman

Cleared some growth which was threatening to poke someone's eye out.

Made contact with a chap who supplies audio-visual solutions to the Heritage Sector and had some great ideas for some of our exhibits.

Oh, and got wet again!!

From having nothing specific on the agenda, I think it went well.

Thoughts?

Regards

Ian

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Nick C said:

Sounds like you had fun!

We've had recognition at the highest level this week - the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service: https://watercressline.co.uk/the-watercress-line-receives-the-queens-award-for-voluntary-service/

A fantastic result, and I am sure, richly deserved.

I hope that the Award results in a flood of visitors and new volunteers, and that they all enjoy their experiences there.

Regards

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a very interesting and enlightening discussion, thank you to the OP for starting the topic. Pendon is facing many of the issues raised here, particularly a lack of volunteers. For many, Covid has disrupted their normal routine and they are reluctant to return to an enclosed environment or they may have re-evaluated their commitment, or possibly found other things to do instead. Pendon is finding it increasingly difficult to fill the rotas to have the museum adequately staffed when open.

Pendon has embarked on a recruiting programme to attract both volunteers and Trustees, another position that is perhaps even more difficult to fill but it is not going to be an easy ride. 

Also concerning is the drop in visitor numbers and it would be interesting to know if other attractions in our sector are experiencing the same.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, nickwood said:

This is a very interesting and enlightening discussion, thank you to the OP for starting the topic. Pendon is facing many of the issues raised here, particularly a lack of volunteers. For many, Covid has disrupted their normal routine and they are reluctant to return to an enclosed environment or they may have re-evaluated their commitment, or possibly found other things to do instead. Pendon is finding it increasingly difficult to fill the rotas to have the museum adequately staffed when open.

Pendon has embarked on a recruiting programme to attract both volunteers and Trustees, another position that is perhaps even more difficult to fill but it is not going to be an easy ride. 

Also concerning is the drop in visitor numbers and it would be interesting to know if other attractions in our sector are experiencing the same.

I have been considering offering my assistance at Pendon, it would certainly not be in a modelling capacity though.   I became a friend during the first lockdown to be able to at least give some financial support - I am still a friend and intend to continue being so. 

Unfortunately as a result of some less than favourable experiences with one of the "larger" preservation organisations I very much doubt that I will offer my limited skills to any of the 12 inch to the foot railways again.  My volunteering days for me and my best friend ended after an apparent "lack of appreciation" for our efforts and internal squabbling, in more recent times I was criticised in a non too pleasant manner for wanting to take some photos from "public" areas of a certain railway, offering a donation for doing so.  I did not have enough time to travel the whole length of the line which was the only journey option available.  Needless to say that was a donation they did not get as a result along with any profits they could have made from a visit to the cafe, gift shop and donation boxes of other preservation groups in residence, etc.

Unfortunately I think that the preservation movement is at a crossroads and there are likely to be some casualties, if things don't change.  I have my own thoughts about how that could be potentially mitigated which I will not share here but I'd be quite happy to pass on to organisations in a suitable manner, if asked.  One thing that needs to be appreciated by everybody involved is that both casual visitors and enthusiasts are vital, and if they are not made to feel welcome then recruiting volunteers is not an easy task.

On a more positive note I will say that there are some exceptions where I have always been made to feel welcome and these include both Pendon and Rocks by Rail, it's a pity that RbR is such a long way from me otherwise I'd be happy to consider wielding a paint brush, cutting the grass or any other task that would fit my skills, on an occasional basis.  Who knows Pendon may well be the "lucky" recipient of my voluntary services?   I would also include the IOWSR and the SVR in the list of locations where I have had more positive experiences in recent times (not as a volunteer I hasten to add). 

I salute all the volunteers (even those who need to tweak their interaction skills) and hope that my fears do not come to fruition.  The loss of any railway preservation movement would be a sad loss indeed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The discussions here are quite enlightening, and should give unnamed Heritage Railways pause for thought.

"Is this us, are we what is being described here?"

Perhaps I should start another topic "Why DON'T you volunteer?", or even "Why don't YOU volunteer?"

Regards,

Ian

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

The discussions here are quite enlightening, and should give unnamed Heritage Railways pause for thought.

"Is this us, are we what is being described here?"

Perhaps I should start another topic "Why DON'T you volunteer?", or even "Why don't YOU volunteer?"

Weirdly since becoming a signaller on the big railway I've found that generally Network Rail staff (and frontline staff from the TOCs) demonstrate the community atmosphere and "we're in it together" that you would expect on a preserved railway rather than from a faceless corporation.  It's a far better atmosphere in my job than my hobby and is why I'm taking 2 months off from playing trains, see how I feel about going back then.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4