RMweb

PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

• RMweb Premium
On 05/07/2022 at 08:47, Nile said:

We don't actually have anything yet available to buy.

Oh yes we do!

Now in stock at Hatton's.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2022 at 15:31, NCB said:

Not sure if Peco are aiming at anyone in particular. Don't rule out sectional track appearing.

Given the proposed small radius turnout will have a 12" radius, I wouldnt be surprised to see sectional curves of that radius. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Littlethorpe said:

The obvious (to me) choice of steam loco for any manufacturer looking to dip a toe in  the water of TT:120 would be the LMS 4F; wide geographic spread, long-lived (so multiple eras), no valve gear etc. It would definitely convince me to try TT:120.

I think I'm right in saying the chassis could be shared with the 3F Jinty?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Not sure if anyone is aware but Rails of Sheffield have a laser cut country station kit on sale for around £16. Looks like a Midland station building 

If this is the one that Peco announced a few weeks ago (and I cant see any others on their website), its based on West Bay in Dorset. 

26 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Not sure if anyone is aware but Rails of Sheffield have a laser cut country station kit on sale for around £16. Looks like a Midland station building 

All the Peco TT items on the Rails website ae still marked as "pre-order", despite being on the In Stock filter...

Luke

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

What gauge of narrow gauge railway would TT represent on a OO layout?

(if  OO gauge = Standard BR gauge)

3 feet gauge, such as Isle of Man or Ireland, or Southwold in England.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

All the Peco TT items on the Rails website ae still marked as "pre-order", despite being on the In Stock filter...

Luke

I've seen another retailer post on social media the delivery of TT items they've received from Devon. Everything except the Flexitrack. I suspect most will be getting theirs in the next day or two. 

• Informative/Useful 1

It's called 00n3 @6990WitherslackHall, as Nile says 12mm gauge is exactly right for 3ft gauge, though you'd be better using the H0m track rather than the TT track as the sleeper size and spacing would be much better. To add to the list, the Southwold and IofM are the best known in the UK but in Ireland virtually all the secondary lines are 3ft gauge and there's a lot of kits to make most of the locos and stock (some still produced and some secondhand!). I think I'm right in saying that Backwoods Miniatures cut his teeth making Irish 00n3 locos!

58 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

What gauge of narrow gauge railway would TT represent on a OO layout?

(if  OO gauge = Standard BR gauge)

53 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Looking at about 3'6" track in 00 scale, more suitable for a tramway such as the list here.

37 minutes ago, Nile said:

3 feet gauge, such as Isle of Man or Ireland, or Southwold in England.

As Hobby says, 00n3 is well established and quite well supported (kits not RTR obviously, although Continental H0m has some RTR). 3’ 6” would be 14mm in 4mm scale (which has been done on at least one industrial NG layout Beta Cables, which I understand is inspired by the BICC Belvedere railway, but is rare). However, in H0 12mm is almost spot on for 3’ 6” gauge (a gauge also used extensively in Japan, New Zealand and South Africa, among others).

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've seen another retailer post on social media the delivery of TT items they've received from Devon. Everything except the Flexitrack. I suspect most will be getting theirs in the next day or two. 

I think I'll believe items have arrived when I'm holding them it in my hands :)

Luke

13 minutes ago, JohnR said:

York model shop has all the items, I just wanted the track though for testing but they had the buildings and platforms as well as the flexitrack.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I think I'm right in saying the chassis could be shared with the 3F Jinty?

Same wheelbase but different sized wheels. Several other locos shared the same wheelbase such as the SR Q Class

3 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Thanks to Michael Bassett at Monk Bar model shop informing me they now had the TT 120 items in stock, I now have track and a point for test purposes later tonight. Looking at the point I am very dubious I can get a Tri-ang loco through it.

IMG_20220708_185008.jpg

IMG_20220708_185049.jpg

IMG_20220708_185133.jpg

Interesting that there seem to be two clips/spikes bearing on the outside edge of the rail and only one in the inside. Generally it's the other way around to counter the greater force on the inside but there's usually a prototype for everything.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Interesting that there seem to be two clips/spikes bearing on the outside edge of the rail and only one in the inside. Generally it's the other way around to counter the greater force on the inside but there's usually a prototype for everything.

That's because it's code 55(80) rail - like in the N gauge range. It allows for deeper flanges then real code 55 track would.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1