PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

• 3 weeks later...

I've just spotted the following on YouTube - apologies if it has already been posted here or elsewhere.

It is a couple of weeks old. There is nothing very new in it but it does contain images of the upcoming 7-plank wagons which it says should be available "in a couple of months" and GWR signals which will be available after that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

How easily does TT:120 stuff couple with those couplings? Like if I was shunting at slow speed. Would I need to ram them against the buffers or will they go together quite easily? I'm sure they are much simpler that they look.

They couple quite gently. Uncoupling is a bit more complex,

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/06/2023 at 22:13, Mr chapman said:

How easily does TT:120 stuff couple with those couplings? Like if I was shunting at slow speed. Would I need to ram them against the buffers or will they go together quite easily? I'm sure they are much simpler that they look.

No problem coupling, uncoupling needs something broad and preferably non-metal to lift the droppers.

However, Dapol Easi-Shunt couplings fit in the NEM pockets quite happily and seem to work better than they do in the N-gauge stuff they were designed for.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2022 at 14:51, luke_stevens said:

Case now pretty much finished. And yes the case is a different colour. Not planned but because I mislaid the B&Q pot of the lighter blue. The case had a couple of coats of the dark blue and then 3 coats of a Wilko gloss varnish which gives a better finish. I will probable repaint the diorama facing and then do the underneath of the diorama too.

2) a possibly more useful photo. The diorama is lined up along the back of the case to show how much room there is at the front. It is their so the front of the diorama doesn't hit the block of wood supporting the handle.

31-2.jpg.799f415ba85a10744ef18bba5900a386.jpg

When I uploaded the last lot of photos last October I didn't think I'd be coming back to this diorama.... But like most modellers I can't leave well alone!

I'd been thinking about improving the presentation and then I got invited to the TT meet up this Sunday in Cheltenham so time to put thoughts into action.

1) Parts for use. At the top is a 5m roll of warm white LED strip, and a 12v wall wart which I happened to have "in stock" (sitting in a random box, no idea from where or whence!) Below is a strip of plug in polyblocks for connections, and below that is a Gaugemaster Scenic Sounds module, which will sit underneath the baseboard and quietly burble.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/gaugemaster-gm784-rural-scenic-sounds-module.html

20230625_145329_a.jpg.13f02f4f324633d098b3a52215fe6fc6.jpg

2) Quick demo of the idea. Back panels made from 3 ply. There will be a bit less vertical clearance than this. I'm using the top of the case as the lid, which is a little heavy so will be bolted in place, but it gives an idea.

20230625_233120_a.jpg.26f9914d9e029a087249208df38511e7.jpg

Luke

• Like 2

Not been as good with photos as last time!

1) LED lighting strips. Stuck to a piece of foamcore which had fold line marked, scored / cut in a W shape. Wired in series and stuck down before installation using double sided sticky tape.

33-4.jpg.76f7482f5a289cccc202c314d1166c6d.jpg

2) , 3) and 4) Background panels cut, primed and screwed together. The original idea is that they would fold flat, but then I couldn't get a tight join between the two panels unless the hinges were installed reversed.

Front

33-1.jpg.8934d5d7cf529fb80d047a6926e2f9bf.jpg

Flat

33-2.jpg.81ae5934bd58ba55b98ddf1f2ae4c246.jpg

Back

33-3.jpg.68bfab047ffb3924dab407a5351acf73.jpg

Luke

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Someone posted the following on Facebook regarding the Peco wagons (posted 21 hours ago):

"I wrote to Peco last week about their wagons and this was the reply this morning, fingers crossed it happens.

Dear Mr Hall

Thank you for your email.

Our Sales department advises that the TT wagons are at the trialling stage for paint/printing, so we are hoping to release the first wagons next month."

• Informative/Useful 5

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely looking forward to getting hold of these kits.  I’m curious to see if they will work better than the Hornby chassis for my 16T mineral bodies.  These wagons are a different wheelbase to Hornby?

Edited by J-Lewis
Need new glasses

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, J-Lewis said:

Definitely looking forward to getting hold of these kits.  I’m curious to see if they will work better than the Hornby chassis for my 16T mineral bodies.  These wagons are a different wheelbase to Hornby?

The Peco EP’s that have been shown for the open wagons are on correct 9ft wheelbase chassis’. Hornby appear to have put their main range open wagon through the shrink ray and have an 10ft wheelbase.

Edited by PMP

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Many moons ago I asked Peco about getting the chassis on it's own, like they do in N. Seems they hadn't thought of that and were "looking into it". I wonder if they have!

I do hope so. The Peco N gauge chassis appears to cost about £8-00 and the 00 version costs about £10-00. If the TT:120 version is priced somewhere between the two the it leaves modellers plenty of scope to create versions of card body wagons, each of the same basic model, but with different details, or just different weathering, all created using art software on a PC.

I can see a similar situation developing as exists on some 3d printing sites; the distribution of public domain or collective commons body sides. The difference will be the more widespread availability of PC printers. What it will mean for TT:120 is more choice than exists in 00 and N gauge. Why haven't 00 and N modellers done this already? Probably a mindset thing.

It will also give 3d printer owners the opportunity to develop more difficult models, such as tank wagons, less suited to card modelling.

We'll probably never know but here are some thoughts.

The Peco track has a finer scale appearance so is a natural follow on for any 'serious' modellers wanting to adopt UK TT:120 beyond the train set stage - advantage Hornby!  It's also finer than continental track so evidently aimed at that market too - advantage Peco, and Hornby if you include Arnold!

Peco's building kits are all GWR/WR but nothing available from Hornby on this theme yet, but promised!  Also advantage Hornby.

2 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

Does anyone know the inside story of how Peco "just happened" to launch TT track a few months before Hornby launched T:120?

They'd been planning TT120 quite a while on secret and I think it was SK that said that he was chatting to someone at Peco and they found they'd both been planning TT120 separately! As they don't compete directly (unlike Bachmann or Heljan) they discussed it. I suspect peco were quite pleased that Hornby were also going into the scale.

I think they'd had the rail making machine for some years before the TT launch  though, N scale code 55 has bee around for a few years.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2023 at 15:59, Hobby said:

They'd been planning TT120 quite a while on secret and I think it was SK that said that he was chatting to someone at Peco and they found they'd both been planning TT120 separately! As they don't compete directly (unlike Bachmann or Heljan) they discussed it. I suspect peco were quite pleased that Hornby were also going into the scale.

I think they'd had the rail making machine for some years before the TT launch  though, N scale code 55 has bee around for a few years.

The Continental TT market is probably a fair bit bigger than the HOm market. Peco already do HOm 12mm gauge track - developing a TT range of 12mm gauge track would make some sense...

Discovering Hornby were going for it probably tipped a marginal project into a Must Do

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 01/09/2023 at 13:51, Compound2632 said:

Do Peco make their own rail?

I fairly sure I read an article or blog about two years ago which mentioned Peco using a new machine to make rail. I did a web search but couldn't find the artcle. What I did find is this video which shows Peco using Hurco and Roeders machines to make model railway track and buildings.

• Informative/Useful 1