PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

13 hours ago, DCB said:

Lets hope they don't repeat fiasco of the N gauge  2251 with a Grange tender, a tender only one of the 120 members of the class briefly hauled.  

Strange they have Collett 2251 reproduced at 1:120 in todays Railway Modeller....and is that a Grange tender...?

5 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Seems more Heljan/Dapol territory.  How about KATO?  Getd them in the UK market without any immediate competition?  Thei lnk is already there, plus they like to do big runs so one br black and one gwr green Pannier fits that!

Kato seem interested only in stuff that will also have appeal in Japan, so no TT.

• Agree 1

I think we have much of this back to front.

Peco have seen an untapped market in quality track to TT (1:120) and, having made new investments as indicated about, want to fill that market. They may be going against Tillig's wishes, they may be doing it with Tillig's approval. Whilst they are doing that they thought it might be an idea to try a UK wagon and see what happens. If they have then maybe they have subcontracted it out to someone who already does TT, most likely Tillig. Maybe one of the big European manufactures is already planning to do a 66 in TT (1:120) and Gaugemaster are doing as they often do and having some of the production run done in liveries that have specified. 

In terms of a loco with waggly bits I would expect the first one to be via someone who already does TT loco's with waggly bits such as Roco or Tillig, or someone who already does N / 009 locos with waggly bits, say Kato. But I would think we'd get 2 or 3 diesel/electrics before we get a steam loco.

Luke

9 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Strange they have Collett 2251 reproduced at 1:120 in todays Railway Modeller....and is that a Grange tender...?

In the article with examples of Peco's new buildings for TT there is an autocoach and a 14xx - unpainted EPs?

2 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

No. Tell everyone your selling all your stuff and that they should do the same. Then buy up their stuff cheaply... :) Luke

I don't need more, I am trying to downsize as it is 😆

I probably won't, I'd be selling a pile of locos to replace them with the same but smaller!  I should just concentrate on a smaller OO footprint, but I will see where this TT business goes and then maybe think about it some more.

In the meantime I have my N stuff to play with.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Quite likely, but is it a hint at something in development or just simply an example of a branch line train.

Just an example. The article makes clear the train is not an indication of any future Peco product.

2 hours ago, whart57 said:

Only because that already exists

Currently produced or secondhand only?

34 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Hornby, if they want to establish a market that no-one else is in.

Hornby would be the obvious one as Arnold is part of the group and do TT scale so they have the experience already in house... So a Jinty as first loco!!!

4 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Just had an e-mail from Hattons listing the Gaugemaster TT items which includes catenary masts and wires...

Overhead electrics anyone?

Luke

If you look at the Catenary you'll see that it's Viessmann which is already available Viessmann 4200 Gauge TT Starter set Catenary modellbahnshop-lippe.com

Regards

Neal.

Edited by Calnefoxile

2 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

If you look at the Catenary you'll see that it's Viessmann which is already available Viessmann 4200 Gauge TT Starter set Catenary modellbahnshop-lippe.com

Regards

Neal.

Which is a useful reminder that there is a TT market outside these islands, and that's probably where PECO are aiming at first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Just an example. The article makes clear the train is not an indication of any future Peco product.

But Peco are just focussing on the track and buildings, and perhaps some kits.

The buildings are all GWR, there must be someone else involved in this, it would be a massive jump for Peco to do a very specific track scale outside of the UK norm with nothing coming to go with it.

I think at the moment we're all stuck with more questions than answers on what this announcement means.

• Agree 1

it would be a massive jump for Peco to do a very specific track scale outside of the UK norm

They already do HOn3 track and points with a very limited UK market.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Which is a useful reminder that there is a TT market outside these islands, and that's probably where PECO are aiming at first.

But Tillig already have a good range of TT track and points and the announcement was very UK orientated even though it did go against the UK TT general scale standards.  So basically stop everything, look at this and here is the new standard, did the 3mm society know this was coming?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But Peco are just focussing on the track and buildings, and perhaps some kits.

The buildings are all GWR, there must be someone else involved in this, it would be a massive jump for Peco to do a very specific track scale outside of the UK norm with nothing coming to go with it.

It might be good for a bit of perspective modelling - a bucolic GWR line in the middle distance, as a foil to one's busy 00 LMS main line.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But Tillig already have a good range of TT track and points and the announcement was very UK orientated even though it did go against the UK TT general scale standards.

Tillig also have a range of H0e track, as do Roco and Bemo but that didn't stop Peco launching their H0e Mainline range. People seem to forget (or don't know?) that Peco track is very successful in Mainland Europe so already have a network of retail outlets and a good reputation, a lot of the modellers I know personally in Central Europe use Peco H0e track as well as Roco, Tillig has a reputation as being "delicate" so isn't used as widely!

Edited by Hobby

But Tillig already have a good range of TT track and points and the announcement was very UK orientated even though it did go against the UK TT general scale standards.  So basically stop everything, look at this and here is the new standard, did the 3mm society know this was coming?

Nobody knew it was coming. There have been three 3mm scale articles in the RM over the last three months and the writers thereof are a little peeved and feeling they have been used by PECO.

The announcement is UK oriented, in the UK. I don't know how PECO is marketing this in other geographies but if they were really aiming at the UK their track would have been bullhead and not FB. The blurb does say it is following the Network Rail standard, but then that would apply for DB, SNCF, NS and most others too.

As for Tillig, many would say the range could do with updating.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Tillig also have a range of H0e track, as do Roco and Bemo but that didn't stop Peco launching their H0e Mainline range. People seem to forget (or don't know?) that Peco track is very successful in Mainland Europe so already have a network of retail outlets and a good reputation, a lot of the modellers I know personally in Central Europe use Peco H0e track as well as Roco, Tillig has a reputation as being "delicate" so isn't used as widely!

I'm aware Peco is popular abroad, I am just conscious the announcement was very UK specific, that of course could be tailored just to us and they fully expect to market it to Europe with a very different marketing campaign as TT is established already.  But they could just have launched into Europe and UK 3mm modellers would have found a way to use it (or not).

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I'm aware Peco is popular abroad, I am just conscious the announcement was very UK specific, that of course could be tailored just to us and they fully expect to market it to Europe with a very different marketing campaign as TT is established already.  But they could just have launched into Europe and UK 3mm modellers would have found a way to use it (or not).

As I am quite fluent in Dutch I thought I'd have a quick look at some websites but so far none have news on this. That said a number have holiday messages up

The buildings are laser cut so there aren't the expensive injection mulding tools involved. The wagon does look like it will involve plastic tooling though. It's hard to think of something more universal/generic than an RCH 7 plank though, so it is about the safest bet possible and their current printing methods make numerous P.O. liveries easy.

Edited by BernardTPM