Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Warley National Exhibition 26th & 27th November 2022

Chris M

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, toolongtoremember said:

I didn't exhibit, but for my layout, I travel with a car instead of a van (save on the hire costs for the exhibition), but the downside to this is it is a game of tetris to fit everything in. I can unload my layout from a van in under ten minutes, from my car it's almost an hour (have to get everything out rather than just the layout to get the layout... out). 

We'd have needed a fleet of cars for that beast, and they'd all have to be Volvo estates!

John

• Funny 1

While it is not based on an area or a period that is of major interest to me, I would have had a look at the seemingly well known Crewlisle, which I've never seen in the flesh, just to satisfy curiosity - had it been there. Is anybody "in the know" and at liberty to tell us why it was not there?

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, gr.king said:

While it is not based on an area or a period that is of major interest to me, I would have had a look at the seemingly well known Crewlisle, which I've never seen in the flesh, just to satisfy curiosity - had it been there. Is anybody "in the know" and at liberty to tell us why it was not there?

Crewlisle's owner turned up on Sunday..... It was supposed to be next to us. He is an rmwebber so I'll leave it to him to explain.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, arran said:

HI All

But as model railway shows go i can only think of Two where you can drive a Van to your spot to unload , that being Warley and Modelrail Scotland.  one thing that help in the latter is we hire in a good number of trolleys / bogies so we can make smaller exhibitors walk in with their stuff instead of a  having to bring in a car with some stock and a control panel. this become more helpful as the hall fills up  .

Regards Arran

Alexandra Palace is also a drive in hall and, for anything at all large, it needs to be. We have though  managed to get our Society Stand in and out from the exhibitors car park on the old station site and that does make for a faster get-away.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Alexandra Palace is also a drive in hall and, for anything at all large, 

Not any more for layouts/trade stands. We weren't allowed to drive in this year. Although I think a couple of the very large trade stands that had contractor built stands could drive in early, but had to remove vehicles before the general layout/trader setup.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I haven't spoken with the owner but I was told the layout had developed some electronic technical issues that could not quickly be resolved. It was withdrawn because the risk of it not being fixed for the NEC show was too great.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richard brown said:

Hi all my last warley video for the year this time it’s a 360 video of the show you can change the view but moving around the screen 

360 video of Warley model railway show 2022

richard

trains in the attic 

That was filmed Saturday morning before the show opened. I know this because our layout was there but we weren't. We got into the exhibition hall just as they were starting to let the advance tickets in. That's cutting it fine.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Chris M said:

That was filmed Saturday morning before the show opened. I know this because our layout was there but we weren't. We got into the exhibition hall just as they were starting to let the advance tickets in. That's cutting it fine.

Agreed, I had a green fleece on Sunday 😂

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Not once Ian, but twice, caught us chatting by Redbridge Wharf @ 11:38!

Simon

and at 13:12 talking to Railtec Transfers 🤣

this is getting silly, was I ever at my Demo? - 16:23 looking at Rockcliffe .....

Edited by RedgateModels

9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Alexandra Palace is also a drive in hall and, for anything at all large, it needs to be. We have though  managed to get our Society Stand in and out from the exhibitors car park on the old station site and that does make for a faster get-away.

Ally Pally is now only a part drive hall. You have to park by the Organ or near the Rose Window end depending where you are. You can`t drive right into the hall. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 40F said:

Ally Pally is now only a part drive hall. You have to park by the Organ or near the Rose Window end depending where you are. You can`t drive right into the hall. 

Interesting. Do you know when that changed? After the pandemic pause, we were there this year with the French and the Italian Railways Society stands (we have active members in common) next to one another  but we were in the small hall - which AFAIK was never a drive in. In any case, even with a five foot long layout, we all managed to scarper on foot to the old station car park before anything drove into the main hall so i didn't see the circus.

Previously we did have a car (not mine) driven right into the hall each year but I'm not certain whether that was last done in 2019 or the previous year.

Edited by Pacific231G

1 hour ago, 40F said:

Was going to say, I was very sure I'd driven into the hall at Ally Pally to unload this year. It was the first show I've exhibited at where I've done that. 

I heard that previously you could drive right up to where your stand is located to unload. However just being at the organ end was near enough.

Back to Warley, very much enjoyed my visit on Sunday. Despite some people having issues getting into the NRC, we had no issues. A little queue to begin with but we soon were soon parked in one of the East Car Parks. A walk over to the halls and we were on our way in by 9:30 with our advanced tickets.

Managed to keep most of my money in my pockets. Some excellent service from Charlie and Co on DC Kits. 

The layouts were also all brilliant. Very much looking forward to next years event already :)

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 40F said:

I believe that the new rule only came into effect this year. Apparently the Model Railway show was the only show that you were allowed to do so.   

I suspect the National Dinghy Exhibition, which was at Ally Pally until this year, when it moved to Farnborough, allowed vehicles in towing boats. Some of them are pushing the size of boats to be called a dinghy, I've seen a Squib there and on its trailer it weighs close on a ton... That's probably one of the reasons it moved, apart from the expanded LEZs and Ally Pally charging for parking from now on ETC..

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, newbryford said:

What - venues charging for parking - outrageous!

Think of all the debate that will cause.

😄

Plenty of free parking at Stafford (around 2500 vehicles)  23rd & 24th September 2023 ADD THE NEW DATE IN YOUR DIARY 

See our website for details www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/exhibition 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Plenty of free parking at Stafford (around 2500 vehicles)  23rd & 24th September 2023 ADD THE NEW DATE IN YOUR DIARY 

See our website for details www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/exhibition 

Well plugged sir!

From what I have seen in previous years Stafford is one of the top shows in the country and well worth a visit. I like that, as per Warley, it is a show put on by a club rather than a company. I plan to go as a paying customer next year.

• RMweb Premium

Chris - Thank you for your kind words about our exhibition.

We have learnt a lot from our 2022 exhibition, and plans are are going very well to build on the success of this year’s exhibition.with our move to Bingley Hall with its much better facilities.

It will be even better in 2023 

I will keep you all posted.

Terry 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So only eleven months to go until the great car parking debate restarts, now with added ANPR! 

Eleven - more like 10.......................

I mistimed going to collect the van for unloading and got stuck in the pedestrian stream from the Disney on Ice matinee. Small children and prams may have been trampled in the hike to get the transport.

But at least the van was "efficient" for getting off the East carpark amongst the Chelsea tractor brigade - who basically couldn't handle the small spaces.

• Funny 2